First time cellphone, need pointers
Jul 22, 2007 at 10:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

tk3

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi,

So I'm looking to buy a mobile phone for the first time, (never really had a use for one, until now) and I'm looking for advice.
I've done some reading on the subject, but actual user experience is better than an article formatted for mass media and more up-to-date.
What are some things to look out for, the kind that typically fool the newbies and make you go "d'oh!"?

I'm looking for one with:
-a fairly good camera built in
-good battery life (no idea what "good" is here, info is appreciated)
-practical GUI
-under 200 euro

I know I won't be using it much, so the pre-paid kind will probably be better for me.
I don't need any fancy features like internet or mp3 on it either, I got my PC and my portable rig for that, I'm just looking for a phone that I can take pictures and call with, has a decent user interface and looks good to me.
I like the blocky, industrial and metallic look, if you get what I mean.

Please recommend me some models, since this is a rather big world for a novice to explore, having a guiding hand would be nice.
cool.gif

Jul 23, 2007 at 12:29 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by no1likesme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would just go into a store and ask exactly what you asked here. you can most likely get a phone that meets your expectations for $0-20 with a contract.

He's in Europe. Their phone companies work a bit differently... non-contract phones are the norm.

I say go Nokia. Their UI is pretty much idiot-proof, quite simple, and their phones are generally good quality and very robust.

Try using the GSM Arena Phone Finder to find yourself compatible phones. Something like the Nokia 6290, 5700 or 7370 ought to work brilliantly for you.

EDIT: Re-reading style preferences... I'd also add in the 6300, 6270, 6288 and the N76, thought N76 might be a bit expensive for you. The 6300 seems like a good bet considering it looks like this:
nokia-6300-00.jpg

All of these phones boast pretty good battery life (it'll last you at least 2 - 3 days, with normal usage).

Jul 23, 2007 at 10:45 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by no1likesme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would just go into a store and ask exactly what you asked here. you can most likely get a phone that meets your expectations for $0-20 with a contract.

I don't just want to go to a store and having the salesguy sell me the Bose equivalent of a phone and then acting as if he did me a favor, that's why I'm asking around here first.
Headfiers generally seem to like nice gadgets outside the headphone area also (cameras, etc) and are knowledgeable, so any input here is better than none.
smily_headphones1.gif

@roastpuff: thanks for that URL, it's really helpful.
After looking around, I find that my stated budget seems to be a little low for the nicer phones (damned EU prices).
I'll stretch my budget a little so I don't end up getting phone upgraditis in a few months.
rolleyes.gif

Anyway, I've got my eyes on the Sony Ericsson K810.

Seems to come with a good camera, has good battery life when I compared it to some other phones' specs and I like its design.

Jul 23, 2007 at 5:43 PM Post #7 of 8
K810 = awesome phone. It's a nice design, for sure. Good luck with the purchase!

Jul 23, 2007 at 6:13 PM Post #8 of 8
I reckon Nokias and Sony Ericssons are the easy to get to grips althought all phones are pretty easy to use unless you're a technophone. The K810 is pretty damn nice but not what I'd call a small phone. Getting a Samsung D900 myself
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back