First serious closed headohones reccomendations needed!
May 11, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #92 of 120
I only heard one of them, the rock ballad. They both make it sound nice, but I might slightly prefer the ws99 for the slightly deeper soundstage and warm signature. I would imagine that heavy metal might sound the best on the MDR 1r because of its agressive nature. It's kind of a toss up between the two. Get the 1r for comfort, ws99 for sound. Grado would be perfect (sr325i) but they're open so that's a no go.

May 11, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #93 of 120
Quote:
I only heard one of them, the rock ballad. They both make it sound nice, but I might slightly prefer the ws99 for the slightly deeper soundstage and warm signature. I would imagine that heavy metal might sound the best on the MDR 1r because of its agressive nature. It's kind of a toss up between the two. Get the 1r for comfort, ws99 for sound. Grado would be perfect (sr325i) but they're open so that's a no go.

Well let me know when you get to listen to the Metallica song. Also, I heared the MDR 1R has a loose cable problem that creates a sound in the headphones. Have you had this problem?

May 11, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #94 of 120
The ATH-M50s are on sale on Amazon right now for $100. They will do way better than the Beats. Good portability. Built pretty hardy. Good isolation. Easy to drive with a portable media player. You were considering the M50s to begin with. They may well be unbeatable at that price for your needs. They are a solid, general purpose headphone choice.

Then the SR80i are only another $100 :wink:

May 11, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #96 of 120
Yea it has the jack rattle problem in mine too, but it's not that annoying to me at least. ATH m50 is nowhere near as good as the ws99 IMO. If you got the m50, you'd end up upgrading anyway, spending even more money. Best to skip that $100-$180 stage.

May 11, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #103 of 120
Only problem is that grados aren't good for popular music. They have little sub bass, until you get a little higher in the line.

Yeah, that's what "they" say, but it's not a very good generalization:

1) If you view the frequency response, Grado SR225is are only down maybe about -5db at 40hz, maybe -2db at 50hz. Just takes a little bass boost EQ to bring that up: http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/GradoSR225i.pdf. Add the L-Cush pads to the SR60i or SR80i, and you get the same bass response. Cost you an extra $20.

2) Sure. There is EDM and rap that has very low bass content, although more of it depends on 40hz and above for the bass effect. 99% of rock if you are good to 50hz, you are good to go. And below 40hz, most of the benefit from that comes from what you feel more than what you hear, and headphones can never emulate that. Now in a good home audio system or good car audio setup with a sub, then those lower hz make the music much more fun.

3) Most of the people that say such things buy bass heavy headphones and/or overly boost the bass and don't actually listen to the music the way that it was mixed by the audio engineers.

4) What is "popular music" now? Most college students I know use Pandora and Spotify and listen to many different genres and/or very niche genres of music. It's not like it was 20 years ago when it was easy to point to specific music as popular.

May 11, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #105 of 120
Yeah, that's what "they" say, but it's not a very good generalization:

1) If you view the frequency response, Grado SR225is are only down maybe about -5db at 40hz, maybe -2db at 50hz. Just takes a little bass boost EQ to bring that up: http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/GradoSR225i.pdf. Add the L-Cush pads to the SR60i or SR80i, and you get the same bass response. Cost you an extra $20.

2) Sure. There is EDM and rap that has very low bass content, although more of it depends on 40hz and above for the bass effect. 99% of rock if you are good to 50hz, you are good to go. And below 40hz, most of the benefit from that comes from what you feel more than what you hear, and headphones can never emulate that. Now in a good home audio system or good car audio setup with a sub, then those lower hz make the music much more fun.

3) Most of the people that say such things buy bass heavy headphones and/or overly boost the bass and don't actually listen to the music the way that it was mixed by the audio engineers.

4) What is "popular music" now? Most college students I know use Pandora and Spotify and listen to many different genres and/or very niche genres of music. It's not like it was 20 years ago when it was easy to point to specific music as popular.

Nice rant hahahaha very true thiugh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back