First post/preamp question
Nov 5, 2012 at 2:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ErosAudio

New Head-Fier
Hello fellow head-fiers! I've been a long time browser but until now haven't had a reason to post, so I'll get right to the point.
I'm a college student on a budget and have managed to accrue a collection of what i would consider to be decent introductory level gear. I'm lucky enough to be in possession of a standalone ODAC (JDSLabs), Sennheiser HD 650, and the Emotiva Airmotiv 6. I've decided it's time to spring for an amp, but I'm looking to kill two birds with one stone. I would like to get a headphone amp with the ability to act as a preamp for the Airmotiv 6's. Based on my budget (400$, give or take a few) and the reviews here and elsewhere, I've determined the best bang for my buck would be the Bottlehead Crack, seeing as they pair so favorably with the HD 650's. However i was wondering if it would be possible/wise to somehow use the Crack as a preamp for the Airmotiv 6, as they are active and to buy a separate preamp would eliminate the possibility of buying the Crack. If not, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also keep in mind the Crack would preferably be purchased fully assembled, though I would consider building one if i could find the time (Electrical Engineering workload sucks).

Nov 7, 2012 at 2:01 AM Post #4 of 4
Get yerself a nice used integrated amplifier with an output for your speakers. If you choose well you will have something that drives headphones very well, has a ton of inputs, can drive speakers (active or passive), has a remote, etc. you get the picture. Much better IMHO than some one trick pony headphone amp...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back