First Impression: Audiotailor “Jade” Vacuum Tube HeadAmp
Apr 1, 2009 at 11:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

oldwine

100+ Head-Fier
Something writing in the front:

After read the review from REVIEW: Audiotailor “Jade” Vacuum Tube Headphone Amplifier, i am interested in its unique "Yin" and "Yang" design, which can accept 2 headphones at the same time and simple design.

img1796maa.th.jpg

After several email conversations with Joseph, i take my order on early March. One of the most attractive to me is, Jade can tailor to what u need! As i have a SACD Player and a CD player, i want to have a amp with TWO RCA inputs. in past, i use 2 different HeadAmp to drive, but it takes me in trouble. Although there are some products available with 2 RCAs, i found Jade is the most affordable.

img1798fbw.th.jpg

This is what audiotailor tailor-made for me, standard version are only 1 pair RCA input.

Other than the RCA inputs, they can also allow to alter most of the parts, like ALPS volume switch, gold plated RCA plugs, headphone jacks, etc.

After about 2 weeks process (it seems audiotailor are still in production by order), i got it by the express delivery.

Parts
Once opened the box, there is a manual (but there is some missing, mentioned later), the main unit and .... a cage??? i was questioned what it is, but it is really useful later.

img1797w.th.jpg

the first BIG question i saw is, the Jade does not enabled with IEC sockets!!! It comes with a UNDETACHABLE power cord, which is not common in Headamp, even the LD and DV such China-made amps also with IEC socket. So, if u want to have it, the FIRST request is

DO REMEMBER changing it to IEC socket in prior!!

img1799b.th.jpg

UNDETACHABLE power cord means u cannot change to your own high quality power cord.

Manual
The manual is printed in English, with a plastic cover, with a bit better than other China-made headamp, which just comes with a piece of paper.

However, as i think they are still in tweak process, some parts on the machine are NOT mentioned in it. For example, the "H/L" switch on the front panel. We can easily "guess" it seems to be "High/Low" gain switch, but i think it would be better if they mention it with most updated manual.

Also, the most important of the headphone jack, they DIDN'T mention which one is "yin" and "yang", i need to surf the web and trial by error to find it. It seems the one near the "H/L" is more Tuby like, while the other one is SS like. [Thanks PaulyT and moonboy 403 to point the correct headphone jack performance]

img1801u.th.jpg

They may also print the parts with words for easier identification.

It is good to know the manual include the circuit diagram, which useful for people want to have modification.

Tubes
Unlike the previous review, this time they have sent a 6AS7G and 12AX7 together with the machine, that is the one inside the cage. Once you installed the tubes, you can fasten the cage with the screw provided, to prevent being hurt.

img1800j.th.jpg

these are the stock tubes

However, the stock tube provided are those China-made, so, i haven't used them.
wink.gif
i have replaced them with the RCA 6AS7G with TFK 12AX7.

For the soul of it, its performance in music, i will post it later after the machine have burnt-in.

Summary
As a budget headamp (don't remember it just cost US$300 with FREE shipping until May), it seems it is a nice product with affordable price, IF they have corrected some part as i mentioned.

Its dual headphone output can also act as tweak for the headphone. I think it would be nice after trail to find out which "pair" of headphones can provide optimum performance.

DISCLAIMER
I have no connection to the manufacturer, this headamp is purchased by my own, without any sponsor or discount. The impression is solely personal comment, it may not reflect all the truths of the product. Anyone should take this as reference only, I will NOT responsible for any loss and duties caused by this article ( and the replies)

Larger size picture of this article are posted in
ImageShack® - Gallery

Apr 1, 2009 at 11:47 AM Post #4 of 17
Nice introduction! I'm glad to have others to share the "Jade experience" with.

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldwine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seems the one near the "H/L" is more SS like, while the other one is Tube like. [Please let me know if my impression is wrong]

I got the exact opposite impression...
tongue_smile.gif
That the jack on the right side (closer to the volume as I don't have an h/l switch) is more "tubey." But who knows, they could have changed the outputs like it seems they're changing everything else!
confused_face(1).gif
And I imagine the headphones will make a differece, too. What are you using? I'm using K701's, which seem to match well with the right-side jack - I've done a *lot* of experimenting back and forth with this.

Quote:

which can accept 2 headphones at the same time

I don't think it's a good idea to actually have two things plugged in at the same time. As one of the Audiotailor folks posted in the review thread, having something plugged in one jack will affect the sound of the other jack. I guess it could have a positive effect... but one should be careful about this, I think.

How did you choose those particular tubes? Just curious. I've got TungSol 5998 and Sylvania 5751 in mine.

(And I won't debate on whether a different power cord will likely make any difference...
bigsmile_face.gif
)

Apr 1, 2009 at 12:45 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulyT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice introduction! I'm glad to have others to share the "Jade experience" with.

yup, it seems there are few using this.

Quote:

I got the exact opposite impression...
tongue_smile.gif
That the jack on the right side (closer to the volume as I don't have an h/l switch) is more "tubey."

as i got it this afternoon, i have no idea, maybe i need to listen more to confirm.

Quote:

But who knows, they could have changed the outputs like it seems they're changing everything else!
confused_face(1).gif
And I imagine the headphones will make a differece, too.

I think we are like the rats in the lab.
ph34r.gif
they changes whatever they like and no notices to us, for the changes.

Quote:

What are you using? I'm using K701's, which seem to match well with the right-side jack - I've done a *lot* of experimenting back and forth with this.

i mainly uses the Beyer 600ohm and SA5k for it.

Quote:

I don't think it's a good idea to actually have two things plugged in at the same time. As one of the Audiotailor folks posted in the review thread, having something plugged in one jack will affect the sound of the other jack. I guess it could have a positive effect... but one should be careful about this, I think.

How did you choose those particular tubes? Just curious. I've got TungSol 5998 and Sylvania 5751 in mine.

i think besides tube rolling, this amp also allows "Phone"-rolling
icon10.gif

Why i use those tubes?? just bos i have them, no particular reason
wink.gif

Quote:

(And I won't debate on whether a different power cord will likely make any difference...
bigsmile_face.gif
)

i think that if they allows u to change the Power Cord, it provides one more way for tuning the sound.

Apr 17, 2009 at 9:01 AM Post #8 of 17
Guys, how's going with the Jade?
Cheers,
AP

Apr 30, 2009 at 12:43 AM Post #12 of 17
I have a few questions for you audiotailor.

I am kind of confused of the products you're offering. Are you selling balanced cables for Sennheiser headphones? As well as an attachment to the Jade to enable balanced outputs?

Do you have pictures of the low impedance GK1-J? That's a solid state, correct?

Lastly, are Audiotailor products rebranded Antique Sound Labs products? I notice when you mailed the box to me it was from Antique Sound Labs and the look of the Jade is very similar to ASL's amps.

Thank you!

-JC

Apr 30, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #13 of 17
Audiotailor is second brand of ASL. It is not only rebrand but use difference design. Jade and GK1 series design is never seen in the world. It is design by me and patented in China. It solve the problem of standard cathode follower. When It output from Cathode , has Plate local feedback. When output from plate , has cathode feedback. It can lower distortion and widen bandwidth. This circuit is very simple & reliable. Jade also use our special tube socket to made it more reliable. (It has a spring inside each pins holder).

Quote:

Originally Posted by theScribe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a few questions for you audiotailor.

I am kind of confused of the products you're offering. Are you selling balanced cables for Sennheiser headphones? As well as an attachment to the Jade to enable balanced outputs?

Yes ! Jade 2 output Jack is 180 degree out of Phase. So It can drive Headphone in balance but need a special 6.35 Jack x 2 Cable. We can supply finish cable for SEHH like HD600/650 or other model with smae Y Plug in Cans.

Do you have pictures of the low impedance GK1-J? That's a solid state, correct? - Yes ! It is Jefet + MOSFET SE design just like Jade but Solid state. We wil sell US$120 (Free shipping). It will have a very special offer when buy Jade + GK1-J + cable as a SET.

Lastly, are Audiotailor products rebranded Antique Sound Labs products? I notice when you mailed the box to me it was from Antique Sound Labs and the look of the Jade is very similar to ASL's amps.

Thank you!

-JC

Apr 30, 2009 at 7:20 AM Post #14 of 17
I have no experience with balanced outputs. Does 6.35mmX2 (Two 1/4 jacks) work exactly the same way as the more traditional two XLR jacks?

What are the differences? Does XLR sound better for balanced? I am interested, this seems like such a good idea to use both outputs.

Will I get a sound signature that's between the Yin and Yang outputs?

Thank you!

-JC

Apr 30, 2009 at 8:42 AM Post #15 of 17
i also wonder is this balanced outputs are truly balanced out. As we all know , Jade only have RCA inputs, which is the unbalanced, i want to know is Audiotailor got any method to make the output to be balanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back