First IEMs - AT Lover - IEM Hater
Dec 12, 2010 at 5:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Szadzik

Headphoneus Supremus
All,

I finally decided to take interest in IEMs. I started reading and seeing all the good opinions about various IEMs I thought it is time to try them.

I have read a few topics with some reviews and thought this through and decided that AT CK10 might what I am looking for.

Here is the thing I am thinking about. 

I am in the process of getting AT ESW10s and was wondering how they compare to CK10s and which of these is better  if they are even similar enough to compare.

Any insights on this?

Thanks in advance,
Szadzik

Dec 13, 2010 at 9:31 AM Post #4 of 14
I've not heard the above headphone that you mentioned so mind listing down your music preference? CK10 are perfect for trance but not so perfect for other genre in my humble opinion though they are still one of my favorites. Their lack of bass and bright sound signature may not suit everyone's taste.

Dec 14, 2010 at 3:29 AM Post #5 of 14
I listen to a variety of genres but mainly Rock, Classic, a bit of Metal.

What other suggestions would you have? I would like something with great build quality, small, not bass heavy, easy to buy - no price range. 

Quote:
I've not heard the above headphone that you mentioned so mind listing down your music preference? CK10 are perfect for trance but not so perfect for other genre in my humble opinion though they are still one of my favorites. Their lack of bass and bright sound signature may not suit everyone's taste.

Dec 14, 2010 at 4:22 AM Post #6 of 14
CK10, CK100, E-Q7, UM3x, GR10, SA7 and SE535......

Dec 14, 2010 at 6:05 AM Post #7 of 14
Thanks for your suggestions. 

I read this thread: 
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/478568/multi-iem-review-125-iems-compared-sony-xb40ex-ex85-added-12-08#post_6492056

and still am uncertain whether CK10s will be good for my music tastes. I will keep reading to maybe find some more information and also all suggestions and information welcome.

Quote:
CK10, CK100, E-Q7, UM3x, GR10, SA7 and SE535......

Dec 14, 2010 at 6:34 AM Post #9 of 14
I read a few reviews and did not find any information about this. Is this just your impression or a general thing? 

I considered e-q7s, but they seem so long and may be a bit uncomfortable because of that.

Quote:
I think the Ortofons may be better for you due to their bass texture and timbre. ck10 sounds a bit unnatural and metallic for me.

Dec 14, 2010 at 11:08 AM Post #11 of 14
The sm3 is another alternative but they do have noticeably more bass than both the ck10 and Ortofons and although their build quality isn't bad, its not what I call great either. Nevertheless they do sound great with rock in fact they sound great with everything. It all comes down to preference. If you enjoy hard hitting bass with forward and slightly veil but still highly detailed mid range, the sm3 won't disappoint. If you prefer a brighter sound signature and incredibly detail sound, go for the ck10. Fit does seems to be an issue with the Ortofons so get them only if you know they will fit. Sound-wise they have one of the most balance sound signature I've heard. The only problem I had with it is its noticeable treble roll-off and your ears may get tired of them after just a few hours of listening. I can't have them on for more than 2 hours straight without resting for a few minutes. The most striking thing about this iem is its bass texture and transparency which seems to be a trait for all Moving Armature. Good luck.

Dec 15, 2010 at 12:05 AM Post #12 of 14
WEll, your quick comparison really is great. I am thinking about SM3 no more. CK10 seems better suited for my tastes. 

Another question is though - go for CK10 or maybe CK100?

I will also look at JHAudio offerings as I am trying to get an ultimate portable rig and the less equipment I will own, the better. I would prefer one great in-ear over a good in-ear and good on-ear like ESW10s. Money is no problem (getting ESW10s AND CK10s will cost me only a bit less that JH13s sooooo...).

What about JH5Pros? Better than CK10s?

Your impressions guys?

Quote:
The sm3 is another alternative but they do have noticeably more bass than both the ck10 and Ortofons and although their build quality isn't bad, its not what I call great either. Nevertheless they do sound great with rock in fact they sound great with everything. It all comes down to preference. If you enjoy hard hitting bass with forward and slightly veil but still highly detailed mid range, the sm3 won't disappoint. If you prefer a brighter sound signature and incredibly detail sound, go for the ck10. Fit does seems to be an issue with the Ortofons so get them only if you know they will fit. Sound-wise they have one of the most balance sound signature I've heard. The only problem I had with it is its noticeable treble roll-off and your ears may get tired of them after just a few hours of listening. I can't have them on for more than 2 hours straight without resting for a few minutes. The most striking thing about this iem is its bass texture and transparency which seems to be a trait for all Moving Armature. Good luck.

Jan 9, 2011 at 3:11 AM Post #14 of 14
Got them last night. Posted my initial impressions in the CK10 Appreciation thread here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/480733/audio-technica-ck10-appreciation-thread/30#post_7185664

Users who are viewing this thread

Back