First headphones for gaming and music?
Aug 12, 2010 at 4:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

killerfrenzi

100+ Head-Fier
I'm heading off to college soon enough and I need a pair of nice headphones for when I game, listen to music in the dorm, and walk outside with a nice looking pair of headphoens, but I'm limited to a $100~ish budget. My dad agreed to getting a HD555 since it was $125 and he has actually listened to a pair, but he has never listened to anything else. So any other options, opinions, or etc people can give me for a nice pair of headphones under my budget? Thanks!

Aug 12, 2010 at 4:30 AM Post #2 of 25
For that price range for gaming, the two often recommended headphones are the HD555 and, more often, the Audio Technica AD700.

Aug 12, 2010 at 5:44 AM Post #4 of 25
Probably pretty even.  Search the web or this forum for comparisons.  The AD700 seems to be slightly more popular among people who have owned both headphones though.

Aug 12, 2010 at 6:16 AM Post #5 of 25
I would side with the AD700, but that's just me. And a lot of people.

Aug 12, 2010 at 7:45 AM Post #6 of 25
I have them both and they are both equally great. The soundstage on both are great and the foam mod on the 555s open them up even more. The fit is a little weird on the AD700s so just be aware of that.

What type of gaming will you be doing? PC, console or both? How will you connect you headset for gaming and watching movies?

If you are looking for an all in one package with decent simulated surround sound for both movies and gaming then I would suggest getting the Tritton AX720. It has everything you need for cross platform gaming as well as watching movies. Its not going to be the best in terms of sound but for your budget and needs I think it will more than suffice.

Aug 12, 2010 at 11:43 AM Post #7 of 25
If you want open: AD700's
Closed: ATH-A700's

Both are great for music and gaming. 

Aug 12, 2010 at 12:42 PM Post #10 of 25
Just the simple 3.5mm for now (unless you guys want to recommend me something cheap that will boost listening experience greatly). College kids can't afford much nowadays lol. I'm gonna be using it for at most SC2, HoN, and Diablo 3 when that comes out.

Aug 12, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #13 of 25
if you're going to be listening to them in public quite a bit, you may want to get a closed pair for the isolation. m50s are a great closed headphone for the price, but im not really sure how they are for gaming. but if isolation is a factor for you, as well as all the other factors ( music, gaming, comfort, etc.) id say the a700 would be the best at filling those needs, although you may not want to wear those in public lol. i have the ad900s and a few of my friends laugh at me when they see them on me lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back