First headphone: SR225 or MS1 (or SR125)?
Aug 28, 2010 at 9:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

mralexosborn

Headphoneus Supremus
My birthday is coming up. I am getting headphones. And I was thinking...
Is the SR225 worth the $100 step up from the MS1? I hear they have similar sound signatures (more laid back Grado's) but the SR225 is a little more refined. Also is the SR125 worth the $50 more? I have never tried Grado's and don't have the opportunity to try them. I listen to music all around the spectrum but one thing I would like is tight bass, doesn't have to be strong, just tight.

Aug 28, 2010 at 10:00 PM Post #2 of 14

Quote:
Is the SR225 worth the $100 step up from the MS1? I hear they have similar sound signatures (more laid back Grado's) but the SR225 is a little more refined. Also is the SR125 worth the $50 more? I have never tried Grado's and don't have the opportunity to try them. I listen to music all around the spectrum but one thing I would like is tight bass, doesn't have to be strong, just tight.

My favourite bang for your buck Grado's are the SR225s. The only others that I like more are the RS1s and HF2s.

Aug 28, 2010 at 10:09 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Go for the SR225i. IMO it's WELL worth the $100 premium over the MS1i and is much more enjoyable than the SR125i. I don't think you'll be disappointed in its bass performance. If you have some patience and want to save a few bucks they pop up for sale here fairly regularly for $140-$180 depending on version, condition, and mods.

Forgot to ask - what's your source? Will you be amping or not?

Aug 28, 2010 at 10:20 PM Post #4 of 14

Quote:
Go for the SR225i. IMO it's WELL worth the $100 premium over the MS1i and is much more enjoyable than the SR125i. I don't think you'll be disappointed in its bass performance. If you have some patience and want to save a few bucks they pop up for sale here fairly regularly for $140-$180 depending on version, condition, and mods.

Forgot to ask - what's your source? Will you be amping or not?

I don't currently have a dedicated DAC or amp but if the SQ from my sound card bothers me enough (I hope it wont be too bad unlike my UE) I will go ahead and get the Audinst MX-1. I was really planning on waiting until later though.
I know there are threads concerning this around here but what are the differences between the SR225 and the MS-1?

Aug 28, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #5 of 14
I'd say go 225i. 

Just like MacedonianHero said, the 225i is without a doubt the sweet spot of the Grado line. 

Aug 28, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #6 of 14

[size=medium]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mralexosborn 

I don't currently have a dedicated DAC or amp but if the SQ from my sound card bothers me enough (I hope it wont be too bad unlike my UE) I will go ahead and get the Audinst MX-1. I was really planning on waiting until later though.
I know there are threads concerning this around here but what are the differences between the SR225 and the MS-1?

[/size]

Better bass reproduction, much smoother high frequencies (as far as Grados go), and better mids. Your source is gonna hurt you though. I've paired the SR225i with the Nuforce uDAC USB dac/amp and it's a great budget combination. There's one available in the Amps for Sale forum right now for $80. Money well spent.

Aug 28, 2010 at 10:33 PM Post #7 of 14

Quote:

[size=medium]

[/size]

Better bass reproduction, much smoother high frequencies (as far as Grados go), and better mids. Your source is gonna hurt you though. I've paired the SR225i with the Nuforce uDAC USB dac/amp and it's a great budget combination. There's one available in the Amps for Sale forum right now for $80. Money well spent.

I looked at the uDac and realized: "No." 
I want a DAC I could use throughout my audiophile career (or whatever one may call it). Supposedly the Audinst has an awesome DAC for the price and a decent built-in amp. My sound card only has issues with my UE because it is ultra low impedance, I know this because it powered my Shure's fine.

Aug 28, 2010 at 10:52 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:
I looked at the uDac and realized: "No." 
I want a DAC I could use throughout my audiophile career (or whatever one may call it). Supposedly the Audinst has an awesome DAC for the price and a decent built-in amp. My sound card only has issues with my UE because it is ultra low impedance, I know this because it powered my Shure's fine.

Trust me, no budget DAC is going to last your entire "career" and the Audinst certainly falls into that category. I haven't listened to the Audinst but the uDAC is an amazing piece of kit for the price, and I've been around the block a few times. It's not in the same league of course, but the DAC section stacks up pretty favorably to my Channel Islands Audio VDA-1. The Nuforce also has great resale value when you're ready to shed it and move on. Just my two pesos.

Aug 28, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #9 of 14

Quote:
No DAC is going to last your entire "career", particularly if you hang around this place. I haven't listened to the Audinst but the uDAC is an amazing piece of kit for the price, and I've been around the block a few times. It's not in the same league of course, but the DAC section stacks up pretty favorably to my Channel Islands Audio VDA-1. The Nuforce also has good resale value when you're ready to shed it and move on. Just my two pesos.

You will not change my mind. And I am quite young so I don't think I will be spending more the $200 on DAC for a couple years...That is all I need, something to hold me through until then. Also I read the DAC section is better than the D10. So, hah!

Aug 28, 2010 at 10:57 PM Post #10 of 14
I'm not trying to change your mind, just offering some experienced advice. How you spend your money is your business. Good luck with your Grado decision.

Aug 28, 2010 at 11:50 PM Post #12 of 14
I agree with those who have said to buy the 225.  If you have a chance to buy that far up the Grado line, do it.  The SR225 is surprisingly good.  It has terrific bass, great sparkle and a nice balance that makes it a tremendous bang for the buck.  Brand new, you're only talking about a couple of hundred dollars.

Aug 31, 2010 at 11:48 AM Post #13 of 14
I also recommend the SR225i.  They are the best bang-for-your-buck Grado our there and offer a true representation of the Grado house sound.

Since you're just starting off as an audiophile, I really think you should try the uDAC.  It's been praised endlessly on the forums and it's usually considered a good idea to build up to your final rig.  It will be difficult for you to appreciate a $200 DAC/amp when you don't know what an $80 one sounds like.

Aug 31, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #14 of 14

Quote:
I also recommend the SR225i.  They are the best bang-for-your-buck Grado our there and offer a true representation of the Grado house sound.

Since you're just starting off as an audiophile, I really think you should try the uDAC.  It's been praised endlessly on the forums and it's usually considered a good idea to build up to your final rig.  It will be difficult for you to appreciate a $200 DAC/amp when you don't know what an $80 one sounds like.

Good point. But for $130 I am looking at slightly cheaper alternatives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back