First Flagship Headphone--Can't decide!
Aug 11, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #16 of 36

The M8 should be able to provide any power deficit that the A & K lacks, by coupling them together.

Using large open cans, like the HD 800 and the X are not good for on the go and may also be problematic (at least a hassle) for use on the road, even if you  just use them in a hotel room.  You can buy a great closed can for about $300 to $350 for portable and on go use.  For on the go use, I recommend the NAD VISO HP50, PSB M4U 1, Focal Spirit Pro or Sony MDR 7520.  These are listed in order from warm to dead neutral (I call it a tie in that regard between the FS and Sony).   See:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/two-strike-zone-focal-spirit-professional-and-spirit-classic

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/i-love-these-headphonesthe-nad-viso-hp50

and

http://www.cnet.com/products/psb-m4u-1/

The 7520 is a great studio can with a detachable cable that has compatibility with a standard 1/8" male to 1/8" male cable.

Turning to the Flagship cans, you should spend some time here (although it does not include the X):

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13

I know.. I though about pairing them too, but then the price goes wayyyy up.
frown.gif
 I would say 95% of my music is 44.1khz/16bit anyway, and wouldn't that be the only benefit to using an A&K over an iPhone?(assuming you use the lightning/30-pin out so no amplification or decoding is processed by the iPhone)

Well let me clarify, I do not mean travel. Rather just portable around the house. 
smile.gif

I actually totally prefer open-back headphones to closed. The Senn HD650's have by far been my favorite headphone to hear so far. But thank you for your suggestions! 

Yes, I've been checking out that battle of the flagships thread! 
biggrin.gif

Aug 11, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #17 of 36
And as far as the Stax and HifiMans, how do they compare soundstage wise etc with the HD800 and the highs/bass of the Audeze's?

I think of HE560 as a mean between the two in all those respects and in comfort too.

Aug 12, 2014 at 4:52 AM Post #18 of 36
The planars/Staxes ain't too good in be tbh (did that come out wrong?)
Reason is because pillows etc. tend to block the sound partially. Doesn't work wel with my wannabe-OCD. When we are talking Stax which models are you think about?

Aug 12, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #19 of 36
If weight is an issue... as much of an Audeze fanboy I can be... don't get the X's. The sound is spectacular, but the weight is something you won't want to mess with, I'm sure. The T1 is a light comfortable option to consider, and I don't know much about Stax, other than that @davidsh loves them
biggrin.gif
. The HD800's are something you really should audition first... if at all possible. Auditioning will answer questions way quicker than reading these forums ever will... same with any can. What area are you located in? Have you checked for upcoming meets in your area?

Aug 12, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #20 of 36
I still think it would be cool building a setup around the smyth realizer. Please do it, I really want you to because I don't have the means myself :D

Aug 12, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #21 of 36
Either that setup is the best thing in the world... David's got stock in those companies... Or he's the most close-minded member on the forums :wink:. I've never seen him recommended something else!... Makes me wanna look into it more! Now, back to the thread, haha.

Aug 13, 2014 at 4:21 AM Post #22 of 36
Either that setup is the best thing in the world... David's got stock in those companies... Or he's the most close-minded member on the forums
wink.gif
. I've never seen him recommended something else!... Makes me wanna look into it more! Now, back to the thread, haha.

Nah, never tried said setup, I am just curious you see.. And definitely closed-minded too (according to some), but most wrt objectivity and measurements 
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 16, 2014 at 11:42 PM Post #23 of 36
 You owe it to yourself to research the TH-900.

Aug 17, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #24 of 36
So I've been reading a ton.. about the flagships, and amp/dac combos for the price. And guys.. I must confess---I just bought the LCD-X and an iFi Micro iDSD. I got caught up in the forums.. I just kept reading page after page and I couldn't wait. I figured somehow I'll make the Audeze's weight work lol... The iFi is fairly new, but hey.. check out these stats: http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/micro-idsd/
A good thread here too: http://www.head-fi.org/t/728236/ifi-idsd-micro-dsd512-pcm768-dac-and-headphone-amp-impressions-reviews-and-comments
Anyway, thank you for the suggestions. And I still may end up returning the Audeze's.. but I'm giving it a go! Wooooo! 
L3000.gif

Aug 17, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #26 of 36
Congrats on your purchase! I have an old LCD-2 myself (the first one) and I love it. I listen to a lot of rock and I even paired it with my EF-5 and love the presentation. Anyway, I think if you're going for the HD800, you would need to invest even more money for quality equipments as the HD800 has no tolerance for lower end gear. 

Aug 17, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #28 of 36
Congrats!

BTW the weight is not really as bad as people make it out to be. 

Aug 18, 2014 at 12:50 AM Post #29 of 36
Thanks fellas!
biggrin.gif
 I'll be sure to share my impressions. The headphones should arrive tomorrow, and the amp probably Wednesday or Thursday! 
cool.gif

Sadly.. no matter how many times you check FedEx tracking, it doesn't get here any faster... 
tongue.gif

Aug 18, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #30 of 36
  Thanks fellas!
biggrin.gif
 I'll be sure to share my impressions. The headphones should arrive tomorrow, and the amp probably Wednesday or Thursday! 
cool.gif

Sadly.. no matter how many times you check FedEx tracking, it doesn't get here any faster... 
tongue.gif

I feel your pain brother.. Im also waiting for my HD 700 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back