First few days with Omega IIs
May 20, 2004 at 5:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

minya

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been with the Omega II for four days now and I'm only just realizing the depths of power and beauty contained within these electrostatic earspeakers. I thought I'd let everyone know some of my first impressions. Should make for fun discussion.
smily_headphones1.gif

First of all: everyone who says that electrostatic headphones need time to "charge" is, well, right. I've always been skeptical about burn-in and all the other sorts of semi-pseudo-science type of claims that abound in the world of audiophilia, but this is one of them I can verify for myself. Noticeable in the bass region mostly -- the first day or two of listening to the O2s I was wondering where the bass was. Yesterday, out of nowhere, it appeared. (Something similar, but less dramatic, happened with my SR-404.)

Second of all: what has stricken me most is that listening to the O2s has made me appreciate how damn good the SR-404 is. So far, the 404 is probably 85% of what I'm getting from the O2. I was very impressed with the 404s when I had them and although I can already tell I'm going to like the O2 quite a bit better, the 404 will no doubt remain my second favorite headphone.

Third of all: darth nut's review slash essay slash post-graduate dissertation on the O2 is an essential read, because his definition of "headstage" is critical to understanding why the O2 is such an incredible headphone. Headstage (and bass response) is also the main defining difference between the O2 and the SR-404 that I've heard so far: I suspect there's definitely a tonal difference in there as well, but I haven't given the O2 enough time to really show itself yet.

Finally: though I've only listened just shy of ten hours, I can already tell that a) the O2 is a keeper and b) this is a serious headphone. Owning an Omega II is like being in a relationship: you have to commit to it. I look forward to spending more time with it.

- Chris

May 20, 2004 at 5:49 PM Post #2 of 24
Sweeet, nice impressions minya. I'm glad it all worked out for you.

With the O2's do you have to leave them plugged in and charged at all times?

May 20, 2004 at 6:00 PM Post #4 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero
Sweeet, nice impressions minya. I'm glad it all worked out for you.

With the O2's do you have to leave them plugged in and charged at all times?

You don't "have" to, but experience has taught me that you should. (Actually, experience with the 404s.) Turning the amp off or unplugging them for a while makes them sound slightly soft and hollow when you resume listening. Like the glass is half full. Once they're charged up, bass is a lot more fleshed-out and tactile and the sound feels "thicker" and more real.

Quote:

I said it once, and I will say it again. You have to make it to the berekely meet.

Working on it
cool.gif

- Chris

May 20, 2004 at 9:55 PM Post #5 of 24
While you're at it, get an emu1212m and glass toslinks to upgrade your transport.
biggrin.gif

May 20, 2004 at 10:18 PM Post #6 of 24
nice, cannot wait to hear them.

May 20, 2004 at 10:23 PM Post #7 of 24
Chris,

Congrats on the O2 love. I listened to them for two straight weeks without any time with dynamic cans, and have never looked back. I now use the O2 sound to compare everything else to, and nothing has lived up to that level yet.

Give them two weeks on your ears and you'll see just how much emotion they portray. Switching over to even the SR404 loses the emotional impact I find in the O2.

Make sure to post some more thoughts on the O2s after you've had them for another two weeks or so.

May 20, 2004 at 11:06 PM Post #9 of 24
I do believe my O2's have burned in and my ears have adjusted to them, and I've now got the initial on-head set-up time down to <>5 seconds. I have to say I like these a lot. I still feel the need to assemble a dynamic rig of comparable class while simultaneously casting my eyes at the likes of the Blue Hawaii, but the O2's are precise without being overly pedantic (although sometimes it does still bother me a little, and if it does continue bothering me I'll switch to the ATH-D1000) and they're entertaining without becoming sloppy. Staging and separation match up to the hype, and overall it's an immersive listening experience. Congratulations on a nice purchase.

Jun 1, 2004 at 2:43 AM Post #10 of 24
To update...

Was considering a formal review of the Omega II / SR-404, but it's kind of pointless. Stax headphones seem to be the most polarizing headphones on Head-Fi, and considering the mess davidmiya's review turned into, it isn't worth my time and energy. Everything's already been said.

I do have a few things to say in lieu of a formal review, though:

Omegas are, without a doubt, better headphones than the SR-404. I've gone back to the 404 a couple times since spending time with Omegas and although 404s are still as amazing as they always were, the Omega does... something better. It's hard to quantify; the Omega has a slight shift in tonal balance / presentation (perhaps a bit farther away / darker than the up-close presentation of the SR-404) that I find immensely pleasing in comparison to the 404. (Not to mention soundstaging, which the Omega definitely does quite a bit better.) In comparison to the 404, the Omega is effortlessly smooth and liquid. Not that you'd ever notice if you haven't heard the Omega yourself, but the high end on the 404 is somewhat harsh in comparison.

That said, if I rated the Omegas and 404 on a value scale (the price of the 404 being the benchmark), the 404s would score a 10, whereas the Omegas would score about a 2.

Which is to say that the SR-404 easily gets you 85 - 90% of the sound you get with an Omega II. Knowing how close the SR-404 is, there's no way in hell I would pay US retail price for the Omegas (around $4,000) -- in fact, I don't know if I'd even pay Japanese retail (about $1,800). But I got them from another Head-Fier for a steal, and I'm gonna keep them.

It is with woe, then, that I announce that my 404 is to be placed for sale. I feel like by doing so, I'm implying it's a bad headphone; but no, definitely not. I can say without reservation that the SR-404 is the best value in headphonedom bar none. For $450 you get VERY, VERY close to the level of quality you get from an $1800 flagship product. But the Omegas are simply more pleasing to my ears, and there's simply no way for me to say no to them considering the low price I paid for them.

I'll cease recommendation of Stax headphones after this post, since they seem to be an "esoteric" product enjoyed only by a cult few. Whatever -- I'm done. (until the Omega III, perhaps.)

- Chris

Jun 1, 2004 at 8:36 AM Post #12 of 24
The Omega II is MUCH, MUCH better-looking than the 404. The SR-404 is possibly the ugliest headphone ever!
wink.gif

Seriously, regarding the sound: I recall the 404 sounding slightly more foreword than the O2, and it wasn't quite as fast (and there was less bass); the O2 seemed a tad more laid-back and somewhat more natural. The HE60 is more forward then both Stax cans, and is quite a bit airier. The HE90 is said to be a much more refined HE60, but I have yet to hear it (I wonder if I'll ever have the privilege).
frown.gif

Jun 1, 2004 at 8:52 AM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilPeart
The Omega II is MUCH, MUCH better-looking than the 404. The SR-404 is possibly the ugliest headphone ever!
wink.gif

Heh... yes, very true. Although there's something to be said for having two air conditioners strapped to your head.

I, too, would like to hear the HE90 one day, although its price/availability renders it little else than a curiosity.

- Chris

Jun 1, 2004 at 3:56 PM Post #14 of 24
Thank you for the follow up Minya.

I own the SR404 and have heard the Omega2 on some high end systems and compared both on a very nice high end system.

To my ears the O2 sounds more laid back with better separation, while the 404 sound more forward. But besides that they sound a lot alike! They both use the same cable. I think they both look neat!

I feel that the SR404 are grossly unrepresented here, and so many people are missing out on the best kept secret and the best bargain in Headphone audiophiledom.

The Omega2 cost $1,849.00USD new
The SR404 cost $449.00USD new
The SR303 cost $349.00USD new

It should also be noted that the SR404 are much easy to drive than the Omega2, so they actually do sound great with any Stax amp from Stax SRM-313 Driver Unit ($449.00USD) on up. So unlike the Omega2, you do not "need" a high end custom amp, of course it wouldn't hurt but it is not a must have with these headphones.

You do not need to be rich to own a Stax system, you just have to be smart
biggrin.gif

Jun 1, 2004 at 10:54 PM Post #15 of 24
full agreement with kr, i own the 404s and find them to be a great value. i also agree that they are easy to drive, i have been perfectly happy with the 404/006t combo. i have always read that the stax amps were not capable of properly driving the phones, maybe for the omegas, but not the 404s. in fact i would say that the 006t is not all that far behind the kgss, although im sure most will disagree, even those who have not heard them both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back