First DAC Question
Oct 28, 2012 at 3:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

jeremyarntz

New Head-Fier
I'm going to apologize for being the million person to ask this question, but I've been pouring over these forums for a week and I am more confused now than when I started. Anyway on to my question: I have about $300 to invest in my first DAC ( really a DAC/Headamp combo ) and I'm baffled by what I should buy. I was originally looking at the Maverick D1, but it seems like it needs a bit of modding to sound good. I'm guessing my next step would be to get a standalone head phone amp so it would be nice if the DAC/Amp combo had a bypass. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

Oct 28, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #2 of 4
Quote:
I'm going to apologize for being the million person to ask this question, but I've been pouring over these forums for a week and I am more confused now than when I started. Anyway on to my question: I have about $300 to invest in my first DAC ( really a DAC/Headamp combo ) and I'm baffled by what I should buy. I was originally looking at the Maverick D1, but it seems like it needs a bit of modding to sound good. I'm guessing my next step would be to get a standalone head phone amp so it would be nice if the DAC/Amp combo had a bypass. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

What sources will you be plugging the DAC into?
What headphone(s) do you use?

Oct 28, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
Sorry I should have put that in my post I will be using my Macbook Pro as the source listening to FLAC rips of CD's. And my headphones are Audio-Technica ATH-M50S.

Fiio E10, USB-DAC-Headphone amplifier, $66, would work.
Sell off the ATH-M50S, you should have enough money to by even nicer headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back