First custom IEMs.
Sep 7, 2011 at 3:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Boond

Head-Fier
Hi,
I want to buy a pair of custom IEMs for around $250 - $300.  I've heard good reviews about the Kozee X1, would the X2 be a good choice?  I listen to music such as Iron Maiden, Led Zeppelin and Russian Circles.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Sep 7, 2011 at 5:04 AM Post #5 of 16
If build quality is important to you, I would recommend you check out Unique Melody as I feel that their customs are the most well made even compared to the more famous Jerry Harvey, Ultimate Ears, etc.

Sep 7, 2011 at 5:12 AM Post #6 of 16

Quote:
If build quality is important to you, I would recommend you check out Unique Melody as I feel that their customs are the most well made even compared to the more famous Jerry Harvey, Ultimate Ears, etc.

Thanks, $500 for my first IEMs might be a bit big as I'm unsure if IEMs would be my thing.  

Sep 7, 2011 at 9:16 AM Post #7 of 16
Thanks, $500 for my first IEMs might be a bit big as I'm unsure if IEMs would be my thing.  

since your unsure whether IEMs would be your thing, i do not recommend customs, their resale value is pretty null unless they are the flagships of the famous brands like jh, ue, westone etc.

why not get a universal first? If you do not like IEM, you can always resell it easily, if you do like them, you also can sell them to start funding a customs with a higher pricetag

Sep 7, 2011 at 9:41 AM Post #8 of 16
1964 ears is another good choice.  They make fairly average customs though, nothing spectacular like UM.
Your budget for customs is honestly a bit low, because there's also the fee for ear impressions as well as shipping stuff back and forth.  I think you'd be better off just getting a good pair of universals.

Sep 8, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #9 of 16

Quote:
1964 ears is another good choice.  They make fairly average customs though, nothing spectacular like UM.
Your budget for customs is honestly a bit low, because there's also the fee for ear impressions as well as shipping stuff back and forth.  I think you'd be better off just getting a good pair of universals.

I already have a pair of universals and I'm quite happy with them.  The only thing about them that bothers me is the comfort.  

What would be some good universals for my price range?

Sep 8, 2011 at 6:36 PM Post #11 of 16
Well, something like the SM3's or W4's are probably going to be better than most dual armature customs and on par or maybe slightly worse than the triple armature ones.  With your budget, I'd say you'd only be able to afford dual armature customs, and you would have to push it a bit for a triple armature one.
A lot of the cheaper customs, like the ones made by Fischer, aren't really "top" notch quality.  I have a pair, and while they function fine and are extremely comfortable, they aren't exactly very pretty.  There are some things that annoy me, like the slots for the plugs being uneven and getting pretty loose after a while, or one of the earphones sticking out a bit more than the other.  Fischer also forgot to put artwork on one side of my customs and also got the colors mixed up but they usually don't do that.
I'd really recommend saving up for some UM's or something, that's what I plan to do after getting my Fischers.  UM makes really nice looking customs, stuff like the connection jacks are recessed, and they also do great things such as balancing the speakers and checking each armature.

Anyways, that's just my opinion.  My Fischers sound great and work fine, but I wouldn't get them again, I think the extra cost for UM is more than justified.  Maybe you can look at this thread, you might be able to get something nice with the discount.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/569290/unique-melody-group-buy-20-off-um-miracle-merlin-mage-aero-and-marvel

Sep 9, 2011 at 1:18 AM Post #13 of 16

Quote:
Thanks for the tips.  I'm leaning towards Westone UM2 because they come with a free amp right now.

1. A free amp is a bad idea to choose one IEM over another. Try the UM2 and see if you like them first; I've had amps thrown in with my headphone purchases before and in the long run, I didn't care for any of them. 
2. You mentioned having a pair of universals that are uncomfy. What are they?

Sep 9, 2011 at 3:29 AM Post #14 of 16

Quote:
1. A free amp is a bad idea to choose one IEM over another. Try the UM2 and see if you like them first; I've had amps thrown in with my headphone purchases before and in the long run, I didn't care for any of them. 
2. You mentioned having a pair of universals that are uncomfy. What are they?

Muse Carpenters.  Not high end but they still sound alright.  Nice bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back