Firewire/USB noise reduction
Aug 2, 2010 at 2:28 PM Post #16 of 17
Okay okay okay - I give up - you win :)

The product is the best! - buy it! - but there might be delays as the entire chip industri is overburdened for the time - so next tape role is in late september and maybe later.

If you want my answer to your "bold" question - which I know you don't :)
The ADUM will not provide better sound on a less noisy PSU.

If you like it that way - keep it that way - No mather if it is right or wrong. (Maybe you don't even know why) - just know that this will not apply to the situation of all other users.

Here is some info to short USB cables: (This is with the USB isolation)
The shortes cable has less resistence, hence more power available - we sell the USB plug also (I think you bought it - right?)
If a short USB cable/Quality USB cable makes the sound "better" - it can be the higher power or that the SPDIF is closer to the capacitors in the USB2ISO, that improves the SPDIF module.

If any of these two scenarios is true - the SPDIF module is poorly designed: - The SPDIF, you have, has external supply - hence lot of power available. Ensuring stable power in an audio module is a must for any engineer.

PS: If you want to learn more about USB - I can highly recommend a short version at http://www.usbmadesimple.co.uk/ums_3.htm

Still looking forward to hear more about the secret features of the ADUM4160  
normal_smile .gif

Best Regards,

Soren
Electronics-shop.dk

Aug 2, 2010 at 2:49 PM Post #17 of 17
yeah, I told you in PM this would be a sterile debate...you most likely haven't done any real world experiment and seem to be a hardcore skeptic, so let's just say that ADuM4160 only provides galvanic isolation(even though the datasheet says otherwise, like other ppl's field experiences tend to prove), this is fine by me
popcorn.gif

Soon or later another manufacturer will come up w/ an ADuM4160 dongle running off a cleaner PSU and I will A/B them...simple as that
beerchug.gif

for now my 2 secret weapons are your ADuM4160 dongle and the WM8804 S/PDIF reclocker in the Bravo
basshead.gif

WM8804 is also used in top range DAC's: http://www.nekoaudio.com/index.php

The amount of technology you can buy these days is pretty darn amazing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back