Fired the entire darned arsenal on PS-1s
Aug 11, 2005 at 9:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

drp

500+ Head-Fier
About two weeks ago, I posted that I'd pulled the trigger on a pair of RS-1s. In the same thread, I received what I thought to be the regular Head-Fi humor and bantering:
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk
Congratulations, when are you ordering your PS1s?

I must admit that at the time, I laughed, and I pointed a finger at grawk's post and said "No way dude; I'm done."

I adore the RS-1 sound. They remain magic to these ears. To read a little fan mail on these cans, I started re-reading RS-1-related posts and subsequently, PS-1 comments from the guys I've seen here over the last few years and have come to trust. Will this special can soon be difficult to come by? The sound signature sounds exactly like what I've been seeking.

To make a short story long, I received my brand new PS-1s today. At the moment, I'm at work listening through the D25 Turbo and the very nice little (underrated) Headroom Bithead.

To my ears, and upon initial new-can impressions, the bass is not overemphasized; it on the contrary just seems full and accurate. I played bass for a few years (many moons ago) and have half-a-good ear and appreciation for the stuff. Plus I had 650/zu for a year, which as it turns out was good training….. 8~) The rest of the spectrum is so far very balanced and super smooth. And this on portable stuff in a casual listening environment.

Price consideration: I do not consider this a case of double-your-price-double-your-performance, not at this level. To put things into perspective (good internal negotiator that I am), I have a high-end full suspension mountain bike that is in the weight-weenie class. The cost to drop weight or stiffen up performance started at ~$400/lb and ended at over $400.00/oz. It's the end-game that's expensive; eeking out that last little bit of performance. I consider the RS-1s well worth the money and will use the above to judge the PS-1s.

Can't imagine returning or selling the RS-1s, but that's the deal I made with myself (bad internal negotiator that I am). Need to do some serious A/Bing over the weekend to define which can stays (maybe both…. 8~) ). If the PS-1s win (almost positive they will), the RS-1s might go back for credit or I'll sell here (yes, they are mint with a proper break-in started; nothing overdriven).

Oh, what fun.

Aug 11, 2005 at 9:03 PM Post #2 of 15
Congratulations, now when are you ordering your SinglePower MPX3?
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 11, 2005 at 9:05 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

Don't you mean Supra?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 11, 2005 at 9:07 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

Or your RSA Raptor?
wink.gif

I'd love to try the upper-end Grado models. Their (dis)comfort remains a lamentable fact, but even my humble SR60's continually surprise me. RS-1 (or possibly PS-1, knowing the evil of this place) may have to go on the xmas wishlist
wink.gif

Aug 11, 2005 at 9:12 PM Post #7 of 15
heh. Grawk you are evil
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 11, 2005 at 9:43 PM Post #8 of 15
Heh, thanks, did anyone mention that everything you paid over the price of the RS-1 goes into commission payments for us?
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 11, 2005 at 11:21 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
Heh, thanks, did anyone mention that everything you paid over the price of the RS-1 goes into commission payments for us?
evil_smiley.gif

Todd will be crushed at the news.... Oh wait, you meant me... Sorry, bone dry now and it's very partially your fault with your "Go for the PS-1s; you won't be sorry..." stuff. Hey, by the way, thanks for the great advice; they really rock so far.

The rest of you have already gotten me into enough trouble . . . stop it... 8~)

S.P. - nope, but hopefully now I am. G-Lite matches nicely, though just now sitting down to listen.

Aug 11, 2005 at 11:29 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by drp
S.P. - nope, but hopefully now I am. G-Lite matches nicely, though just now sitting down to listen.

Yeah, I liked mine with GLite, too, when I tried the combo.

If it makes you feel any better, it appears that I wasn't exactly truthful when I said that I was done with my rig at the meet. Oh well.

Aug 11, 2005 at 11:38 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Salt Peanuts
If it makes you feel any better, it appears that I wasn't exactly truthful when I said that I was done with my rig at the meet. Oh well.

Maybe . . . Hey, just more for the mini-meet when we can hook up.......
But I have to ask: what the heck is there left; your main balanced rig was about the most amazing rig I've ever heard. Meridian GO8 or similar got your wallet?

Aug 11, 2005 at 11:59 PM Post #12 of 15
Congradulations on your purchase. I had a brief listen to Gwark's PS1 with C-Pads and without doubt that combo was far ahead of the RS1s. I hope the PS1s don't stop production and become rare overpriced can like the HP1s by the time I muster enough vitamine-M to get one
smily_headphones1.gif
.. I have easily a year & half ahead for that and I just hope John Grado comes out with something new by then....though the odds seam very low judging from Zanth's interview
frown.gif

Aug 12, 2005 at 2:20 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by drp
...and it's very partially your fault with your "Go for the PS-1s; you won't be sorry..." stuff. Hey, by the way, thanks for the great advice; they really rock so far.

Heh, Welcome to Head-Fi. Sorry about your wallet!!!!
eek.gif
I'm really glad to hear you like them. It takes a lot of belief in a $1500.00 product to let me recommend them freely and I can't say I've ever felt restrained about it with the PS-1s. I think they are a special set of headphones and you'll be very happy you invested in them...

Aug 12, 2005 at 2:23 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Salt Peanuts
Yeah, I liked mine with GLite, too, when I tried the combo.

Likewise, it doesn't match the Balanced Reference but it's a lot of the same character. Amazing for what you're paying for it...

ooh, ooh, what you getting?
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back