Fire Fox tips
Dec 24, 2004 at 8:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

wallijonn

Throwin' tantra.
If you visit more than one forum at a time, or you always keep more than one tab open at a time, you can set FireFox to open with more than one tab. Tools / Options -> Preferences -> General -> "use Current Page. Close it. Go to another tab. Preferences -> General -> "Use Current Page". Close it. Close Firefox. Start Firefox.
You should now have two tabs open.

I don't start FireFox with more than 4 websites open. You can probably start it with 6, 8 tabs open, etc.

Dec 24, 2004 at 8:30 AM Post #2 of 34
I'm having to use FireFox after my IE mysteriously disappeared, and AvantBrowser, that I was using - uses the IE core...

I've downloaded the gestures pack (couldn't live without that) but one thing I would like to know (can't seem to find out how to do this, if you even can) is if there is a way to put the tabs at the bottom of the window, rather than the top...

Sorry if this is a noobish question, but - I am a firefox noob (I did try mozilla in a previous life, but without the gestures it didn't stay on my system for long lol)

Dec 24, 2004 at 4:58 PM Post #4 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan
...I would like to know (can't seem to find out how to do this, if you even can) is if there is a way to put the tabs at the bottom of the window, rather than the top...

Duncan:

Tools -> Options -> Extensions -> TabBrowsser Extension Options -> Tab Bar (on the left) -> Place the tab bar on the bottom
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 24, 2004 at 6:32 PM Post #5 of 34
Brilliant...

Thanks for your help guys... all sorted
biggrin.gif
(sorry for hijacking the thread)

Dec 25, 2004 at 1:53 AM Post #6 of 34
One neat trick I discovered a few days ago- if you highlight text on a page (either by double-clicking it to select the word or by click-and-dragging to highlight it) and right-click on it, it gives you a context menu, one of the options in it is to google that text.

Dec 25, 2004 at 2:03 AM Post #7 of 34
Hey, I am glad to see this thread.
I uninstalled Firefox and then got the version 1 and installed it. Now I can't get the spellbound spell check to work. I went to the site and installed it twice, the second time I even added this library thing. Still it doesn't work. I can get the spellbound option with a right click, but it won't recognise a misspelled word. Yes, I did get the version of spellbound that is supposed to work with Firefox 1.
Now I need to run and check out the tip that wallijonn talked of.

Dec 25, 2004 at 8:30 AM Post #9 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by EricP
One neat trick I discovered a few days ago- if you highlight text on a page (either by double-clicking it to select the word or by click-and-dragging to highlight it) and right-click on it, it gives you a context menu, one of the options in it is to google that text.

Thats pretty cool
smily_headphones1.gif

I guess a way for people to do that who aren't using FireFox is to install the 'Comet WebSearch' bar... I installed that on my work PC by accident... quite clever (although it doesn't use google for its actual search, so your hit-count might suffer)

Thanks though, I am finding out no end of new things about this program, is good
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 25, 2004 at 7:39 PM Post #11 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by wallijonn
http://spellbound.sourceforge.net/download.

Which version did you install?

Even though I have FireFox 0.93 running on Ubuntu Linux I was able to install that Spellbound version and it seems to be running correctly.

Did you set the language type?

Yeah, it worked great on the 0.93. Then when I first went to Firefox 1.0 the spellbound kind of self updated. But, then I completely got rid of Firefox and now the version of spellbound that is supposed to work with Firefox 1.0 , doesn't. I can't remember the version number, and the link you gave seems to only have one version, instead of two that I saw wherever I was.
confused.gif

I'm trying again from the link you provided. I gotta shut down Firefox and see if this time worked.
edit:

HEY THANKS wallijonn, it worked that time. I am so happy
icon10.gif

I must have missed something when I tried, I think I was on a different web page. I don't remember seeing that big "install" page.

Dec 31, 2004 at 4:06 AM Post #14 of 34
This one I found here: http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showth...986#post964986

Install the ChromEdit extension.
Tools -> Edit user files

Go to userChrome.css
copy and paste the following to the end:

/* Make the Search box flex wider */
#search-container {
-moz-box-flex: 500 !important;
}
#searchbar {
-moz-box-flex: 500 !important; }

Hit the Save button, then close it. (It won't close automatically).
Close FF, start FF.

Dec 31, 2004 at 4:11 AM Post #15 of 34
I have firefox, but today a strange thing happened. suddenly the default user wouldn't connect to the internet, it asked me to set up a new profile (which i did) and now I've lost all of my bookmarks, and I can't find the old profile at all! If any of you can help, I would greatly appreciate it. Also, they finally have come out with the google toolbar for version 1.0. available under extensions, search category.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back