Finished my CMoy, need some help though
Feb 17, 2006 at 11:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

creyc

500+ Head-Fier
This is my first real DIY audio project and I do like the fully packaged complete product. Feels like I really made something. I'm quite happy with the result, and it all went relatively smooth. (k, forgetting the VCC + and - for the OPAmp didn't speed things up)

CMoy1.jpg

CMoy2.jpg

CMoy3.jpg

One oddity I noticed is the volume knob, which works opposite of every knob I've turned. Did I just flip the pins on the POT between Input and Ground? I know the feed to C2 and the amp is correct. Also I've noticed that with volume all the way down it's virtually off, and going to 180 from there is full volume. Yet it continues to turn beyond 180, almost in a complete circle yet I hear no noticeable increase in volume. Is this a power supply limit I'm observing? It's not that I want my music loud, just that I want this amp to be performing as well as it can.

Finally, this thing sounds horrible with my Super.fi 5 pro's. It sounds like it's overdriving and clipping the super efficient drivers, yet its not particularly loud. Im guessing I've well surpassed the minimum impedance rating for the CMoy? Meaning it only works with big phones or phones with more resistance OR I need to play with things.
biggrin.gif
Does anyone here use an amp on their IEMs? Specifically the CMoy.

Feb 17, 2006 at 11:46 AM Post #2 of 4
Hi

I don't really know anything about this amp, but looking at the schematic and reading what you wrote I guess that you have the wiper of the pot connected to the input jack instead of to C2. That would explain the half-working volume control and the distortion.

Feb 18, 2006 at 5:17 AM Post #4 of 4
Thanks for the diagram skyscraper. Yea I had the wipers backwards, volume control is excellent now.

It still sounds like $*@%! with my super.fi 5s though. I'm listening now with my full size sony MDR-7506 cans and its wonderful. They are driven effortlessly, with plenty of power to spare. Where do you guys typically set your source volume at if it doesn't have a designated line out, such as an iPod? And any ideas why I cant use IEM's with this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back