Finding the Perfect Headphones
Jul 29, 2012 at 9:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

kineticwave

New Head-Fier
I'm heading off to university and I've decided to spend around $250 more or less on a pair of headphones. I've been browsing around and reading some reviews here at head-fi but I can't seem to come to a decision.

So far, there are a few pairs that I have in mind.

1) V-MODA Crossfade V-80 White
2) Focal Spirit One (Have decided to eliminate these.)
3) Ultrasone PRO 550
5) Ultrasone HFI 780/680/580 (I don't know which one suits me the best.)

In terms of the headphone's physicality, I'm looking for comfort and isolation, as in hours of use for when I'm studying. Appearance-wise, I'd prefer something that doesn't look like I'm supposed to be at a recording studio as opposed to wherever I happen to be. I play instruments (piano and guitar), so it'd be nice for these instruments to be highlighted whenever they appear in the music I listen to. Essentially, when it comes to sound quality, I'd like for the bass to be solid and vocals crisp - nothing has to be too extreme.

If worse comes to worse and I'm forced to reduce my budget, which would be better suited for me, the V-MODA or the Ultrasone 580? I'm open to suggestions about other headphones as these are only the handful that caught my eye and stays within my budget.

Thank you, I appreciate all the feedback given!

Jul 29, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #4 of 13
IIRC the 840 is more balanced-sounding than those ultrasone models. PLUS people are in a love/hate relationship with regards to the ultrasone's s-logic feature so i suggest to try them first =)

i would also prefer the 840 over your choices since you can also use them as a studio monitor as well since i saw on your post that you play instruments.

the vmoda and ultrasones are too bassy for my tastes. never heard the spirit one, so i cant comment on that.

Jul 29, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #6 of 13
yuo cant find the ultrasones in stores, they are made in germany. and sold from germany............. you can only buy them off the internet.......
they are amazing... just look up reviews

Jul 29, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #7 of 13
Bought my HFI-780's from B&H out of NYC. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/
I got them on sale for $150 a real steal with a FiiO E11 amp added to the mix.

The carry the Ultrasones and the V-Moda.
Most headphones are duty free when shipped to Canada. If you let B&H look after the customs clearance, the final price at the checkout is the total cost there will be no surprise duty etc... at your door.

The V-Moda Crossfade M-80 Black (they have those in stock right now, White's in 7 to 14 Days) are $199
Dropped on my door here in NS:
Customs Clearance (HST) $34.96
Shipping: $8.93
Order Total: $242.89

Choice between the HFI-580's and the V/M-80's, I'd go for the V-Moda's
I was going to get the Crossfade M-80's but got the 780's instead.

The 780's are great, I really enjoy the sound from them but...
The nice Shiny Metal on the sides of the HFI-580/680/780 is real pretty but scratches if you look at it the wrong way.
I have the 1 meter cable on my 780's, it's as thick as a quality USB cable and I don't think the factory bends will ever come out of it.
I have large ears so there is a very snug fit inside the pads.
They get warm very quickly, and you have to give them a little break after a bit.

Whereas the V/M-80's
On Ear pads (don't have to fold ears into cups.) 
biggrin.gif

Nice case.
Detachable quality cords with mic & without.

And they look damn nice to boot... (I'd get the Black ones though.)

Jul 29, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:
yuo cant find the ultrasones in stores, they are made in germany. and sold from germany............. you can only buy them off the internet.......
they are amazing... just look up reviews

Only the Edition 8's & 10's are made in Germany, all the rest are manufactured in Taiwan.

Jul 29, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #9 of 13
Found my perfect pair for $240. AKG Q701. Amazing bass extension and excellent SQ. All packed into a very comfortable set of cans.

Jul 29, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:
Found my perfect pair for $240. AKG Q701. Amazing bass extension and excellent SQ. All packed into a very comfortable set of cans.

The Q701s are definitely an amazing pair of headphones, but personally, it is a little too big in size for my liking. Any runner-ups you have in mind?

Quote:
Bought my HFI-780's from B&H out of NYC. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/
I got them on sale for $150 a real steal with a FiiO E11 amp added to the mix.

The carry the Ultrasones and the V-Moda.
Most headphones are duty free when shipped to Canada. If you let B&H look after the customs clearance, the final price at the checkout is the total cost there will be no surprise duty etc... at your door.

The V-Moda Crossfade M-80 Black (they have those in stock right now, White's in 7 to 14 Days) are $199
Dropped on my door here in NS:
Customs Clearance (HST) $34.96
Shipping: $8.93
Order Total: $242.89

Choice between the HFI-580's and the V/M-80's, I'd go for the V-Moda's
I was going to get the Crossfade M-80's but got the 780's instead.

The 780's are great, I really enjoy the sound from them but...
The nice Shiny Metal on the sides of the HFI-580/680/780 is real pretty but scratches if you look at it the wrong way.
I have the 1 meter cable on my 780's, it's as thick as a quality USB cable and I don't think the factory bends will ever come out of it.
I have large ears so there is a very snug fit inside the pads.
They get warm very quickly, and you have to give them a little break after a bit.

Whereas the V/M-80's
On Ear pads (don't have to fold ears into cups.) 
biggrin.gif

Nice case.
Detachable quality cords with mic & without.

I have to agree, the M-80s are definitely a looker. But I'm not too fond of the on-ear aspect (I have rather small ears, so ear cups seem fine for me haha). On another note, do you think 780s give a better performance overall as opposed to the V-MODAs? Also, I'm open to other headphone models, these are the ones that have caught my eye is all. As long as they are within my budget.

Thanks!

Jul 30, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #11 of 13
One more:

Pro 750 :)

Cheerz !

Jul 30, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #12 of 13
I have never heard the V-Moda's so I cannot say.

A little Backstory...

Living here in Atlantic Canada my choices for headphones were very limited, I could have gone down to Peak Audio and listened to grossly overpriced Grado's, or sampled the Beets at the local BestBuy... I wanted something different. I listened to a friends Denon  DNHP700's and they sounded much better than the Sony's I was using that had developed a bad case of naugahyde rot on the ear pads. My friend got his Denon's from B&H and that's where I went looking (very reasonable shipping to Canada) Also the http://www.headphonebar.com in Vancouver has a good variety of Headphones as well. I'll probably get my Grado's from them down the road.

So there I was, no place to listen to any headphones, read a lot of Head-Fi, assembled a list, then went on the quest of "How can I get this to Canada with out an $185 brokerage & duty fee's..."

I set the budget at $250 + $50 if need be and searched B&H for my list of cans and availability. Grado's can't be shipped to Canada, Sennheiser's can't be shipped to Canada, So that kicked off the 225's and the 598's. I really wanted the Beyerdynamics DT880 Premium's but they were on a 3-4 week restock wait.

So it came down to the LP2's, M-80, or hey look the 780's $100 off... and I'll throw in a FiiO E11 portable amp for fun! (The 780's do NOT need an amp from either my iPod or Sana Clip+ but my HTC Desire HD will not drive them at all.)  and that my friend is how I ended up with the HFI-780's.

If I had a chance to sample other cans, I probably would have chose something different, don't get me wrong, I like the sound of the 780's a lot. I listen to Trance, Reggae, Rock, Blues, Floyd, Zepplin and just about anything else. Like all things that becomes an obsession, there is always something better down the road or "I just have to hear those ones too."
biggrin.gif

Sorry to bend your ear... I get a little carried away.

The http://www.headphonebar.com carries the AKG550 for $249 with free shipping, so $285 landed after tax...

And they get good reviews...
http://www.head-fi.org/t/610298/akg-k550-review

I have never heard them though.

One can get very caught up in all the choices, there are people who listen to their gear more than their music. There are a lot of people who spout get these over those and have not heard either one, just what they read in a review somewhere.

What sounds good to me might not sound good to you, find something you like, read the reviews (with a grain of salt) and pull the trigger on them.
Plug the new cans in and enjoy your music! In the end that is what it's all about!

Good Luck!
beerchug.gif

Jul 30, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #13 of 13
The V-Moda M-80s are great. I love mine. They are pretty comfortable after you tweak the headband a bit (the unique headband design allows you to basically twist them into the right shape to fit you). However, I really just prefer circumaural headphones to on-ear, as even though I can wear my M-80s for over an hour, they just aren't as comfortable as around-ears (reference: I have a small head with small ears). I love them, but I'll probably be selling them in order to get V-Moda M-100s (which are basically a circumaural version of the M-80s with improved sound and some extra features like dual entry for the cable and folding earcups) which should be out in a month for $300.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back