Find my ideal headphones
Aug 5, 2010 at 4:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

CaptainRusko

Head-Fier
Hi I am a newbie here and to headphones in general and was hoping I could get some expert advice here. Looking to invest in some decent headphones which I will be using primarily for music and games:

70% music

-60% Electro, Dubstep, Drum and Bass
-30% Rock, Metal
-10% all else

30% games

Ive been reading up as much as I can over the past few weeks and these look like a good deal to me and was hoping I could get some feedback on the best value for money headphones in my price range

HD 555 - £78
AKG 518DJ - £43
MS1 - £62
HD 580 - How much are they worth second hand perfectly working?

Also any recommendations that are not above £80 

About the AKG's, I here they sound better if you take the pads off? If so does this make them really uncomfortable considering the headband does not look too forgiving either?

Aug 5, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #2 of 16
I don't know if they are under £80, but I would suggest the Audio Technica M50's, they will do great with the music that you listen to. If those don't work out I would suggest the HD555's. AKG's have a distinct sound signature that some do not enjoy, I honestly think all the headphones you have listed other than them will be beaten.

Aug 5, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #3 of 16
Yeah the M50's seem would be heard to find in the UK under about £110 in the UK as far as I can see, unless someone is selling cheap second hand.

Ok so one vote for the 555's

Also still looking for estimate of value for the 580's as I may be able to pick them up cheap

Aug 5, 2010 at 4:56 PM Post #4 of 16
I would estimate at minimum £100. Did you look into the HD595's?
Quote:
Yeah the M50's seem would be heard to find in the UK under about £110 in the UK as far as I can see, unless someone is selling cheap second hand.

Ok so one vote for the 555's

Also still looking for estimate of value for the 580's as I may be able to pick them up cheap

Aug 5, 2010 at 5:07 PM Post #5 of 16
As an owner of the 555s, I think I should warn you: they aren't very bassy.
Considering your music preferences, that is most likely a problem for you.
For games though, they should be sufficient.

I think you should search for a used pair of M50's, they will serve you better.

Aug 5, 2010 at 5:09 PM Post #6 of 16
I don't really know anything at all about the 595's, just doing a quick google search looks like they are about the same price as the m50's. I see there is some dude selling some in Sweden for 500 krona but I would have thought the shipping would be about that again to the UK.

If I could find them though have they got a least decent bass?

Aug 5, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #8 of 16

Quote:
I don't really know anything at all about the 595's, just doing a quick google search looks like they are about the same price as the m50's. I see there is some dude selling some in Sweden for 500 krona but I would have thought the shipping would be about that again to the UK.

If I could find them though have they got a least decent bass?

Seems like no.  However, don't forget EQ.
biggrin.gif

Aug 5, 2010 at 5:36 PM Post #10 of 16
EQ will help, if you can just save up for AT M50's. They will be worth it even if it delays you a little.

Aug 5, 2010 at 5:55 PM Post #11 of 16
The thing is I can afford that its just I was hoping to stick to a budget, so please do not tempt me too much 
biggrin.gif

Just wondering about Beyer dt770 pro's and how they compare? Had a quick search here and it looks like people sell them fairly cheap from time to time.

Aug 5, 2010 at 6:44 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:
Just wondering about Beyer dt770 pro's and how they compare? Had a quick search here and it looks like people sell them fairly cheap from time to time.

Those would probably be good for your preferred genres, and they are supposed to be great for games as well.

Aug 7, 2010 at 5:30 AM Post #14 of 16
I probably wouldn't pay more than £80/$120 for a pair, hopefully less. I bought mine for the equivalent of $95 with a brand new HD650 cable, but that was a couple of years ago now.

Aug 7, 2010 at 5:44 AM Post #15 of 16
I've listen to M50 and HD595 . HD595 arent for Electro, Dubstep, Drum and Bass , M50 has much better bass than HD595 . But HD595 soundstage is better than M50 , which is the advantage of being open . MS1 has no soundstage at all and it leaks sound ! M50 is a good choice to go for Electro, Dubstep, Drum and Bass , they have better bass impact !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back