Finally investing in a decent pair of headphones... seeking advice!
Apr 6, 2010 at 10:11 PM Post #16 of 31
This is the advice my wife gave me just recently when I was debating on whether or not to go with the Grado 325i or RS2i.

She asked out of the two which was my preference. I said the RS2i.

She then asked me if there was a model up. I said yes the RS1i.

She told me to get the RS1i and so that's what I doing.

Her rationale, if you don't get it now you know you will just get it later. She knows me better than I know myself.

My advice to you would be to stretch your budget a bit and go up one model more than you think you can afford.

Apr 6, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #17 of 31
I'll take the SR60 over the SR80 unless you can get them at the same price. The next step up from the SR60 should be the MS1.

Apr 6, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #19 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike1590 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for all of the help! Everyone here has been very friendly and helpful. I'm still undecided but at least I've narrowed down my options!

Let me help unnarrow the options for you then! I haven't personally heard the sr60 or 80, but I'd look into the Alessandro MS1 instead. The consensus seems to be that they are a better entry phone than the others (at least that's what I tend to pick up around here), and I personally love them. They are $100, you might be able to get them a bit cheaper in the FS forum.

If those stretch your budget too much though, than I would probably go with the sr60 assuming they have a similar sound to my ms1 (which I really do love). You could also look into JVC RX900 (or 700) which would be pretty good for your genres but better all rounders than the grados.

Oh and just one more can to look into, since I want to give you some options, are creative aurvana live. These can be had for $50, and I've read only good things about them. I haven't personally tried these, but they might be a fit so I figure I should mention them and you can get advice from others that have actually heard them.

Apr 7, 2010 at 4:39 AM Post #20 of 31
I'd go with the Alessandro MS1 or MS1i or the SR80i
smily_headphones1.gif
Read some reviews on them
wink.gif

Apr 7, 2010 at 5:00 AM Post #21 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by NimbleRabit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let me help unnarrow the options for you then! I haven't personally heard the sr60 or 80, but I'd look into the Alessandro MS1 instead.

The Allesandro's are $99 shipped in the States. They are purported to have better bass and less harsh highs. I would second his recommendation, that is assuming you haven't already jumped on the SR-80i's.

Here is a link to a review on all the Grado/Allesandro models mentioned so far

Here's the link to the Allesandros

Apr 7, 2010 at 5:05 AM Post #22 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sambones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Allesandro's are $99 shipped in the States. They are purported to have better bass and less harsh highs. I would second his recommendation, that is assuming you haven't already jumped on the SR-80i's.

Here is a link to a review on all the Grado/Allesandro models mentioned so far

Here's the link to the Allesandros

Sick, thanks. Haven't made up my mind yet. Been studying for an exam all day so haven't had the time to sit down and make a conscious decision just yet. I'm leaning toward the Allesandro's at the moment...

Apr 7, 2010 at 7:52 AM Post #23 of 31
Actually from what I've read a lot, the MS1's has LESS bass and is more laid back than the SR80's. If anything, get the "i" improved versions whatever you chose. It also cracks me up when people give suggestions when they admittedly mention that they've never heard the models they are suggesting or dissuading. What?? I've personally heard and tested the SR80i up to the SR325i. Even with price not a factor, my pick is the SR80i. Whatever you choose, you can't lose though. Good luck.

Apr 7, 2010 at 9:00 AM Post #24 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by outlawdon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually from what I've read a lot, the MS1's has LESS bass and is more laid back than the SR80's. If anything, get the "i" improved versions whatever you chose. It also cracks me up when people give suggestions when they admittedly mention that they've never heard the models they are suggesting or dissuading. What?? I've personally heard and tested the SR80i up to the SR325i. Even with price not a factor, my pick is the SR80i. Whatever you choose, you can't lose though. Good luck.

People don't seem to recommend phones they haven't heard that often, but when they do it always seems fine to me. I, for example, mentioned the creative aurvana live because of all the reviews I've read, but in saying I haven't heard it I'm basically saying "just look up a review or two and see what you think". That seems perfectly fine to me.

Anyways, as far as getting the "i" improved versions, it's not necessary if you decide to go for the ms1. I've heard both and they sound almost exactly the same to me. On the other hand, the improved version looks much cooler with the mushroom style cup.

Apr 7, 2010 at 1:25 PM Post #25 of 31
I'll chip in a vote for the Alessandros
smily_headphones1.gif
But seriously, any Gradossandro offering would be fine.

Apr 7, 2010 at 2:10 PM Post #26 of 31
I sat in an audio store last week and listened to the Grado line starting at the SR60 and ending with the RS2i.

I spent the better part of an hour going through the different sets and came out of there firmly believing you get what pay for. In my opinion each step up provided enough improvement to justify cost difference and based on that I would be the best set you can afford. Don't compromise. I've never listened to the Allesandros so I can't comment on them.

Darcy

Apr 7, 2010 at 2:26 PM Post #27 of 31
+1 on the Koss KSC 75. Especially if you do the headband mod. (I found the KSC 75 ear clips to be very uncomfortable.) Anyway, headband-modded KSC 75 are my day-in, day-out phones I listen to at work. I also have Grado SR-60, and I prefer the KSC 75. Not by a huge amount, really, but overall I like the KSC 75 better.

If you're interested, see here for sacrificial phones to use for the headband:

Parts-Express.com:*Mini Headphones | headphones earbuds earphones MP3 reference ipod portable walkman mp3 cd personal

BTW, be sure to read the reviews/comments on that page.

Apr 7, 2010 at 3:26 PM Post #28 of 31
I have an SR-60i and an Alessandro MS-1. I've heard the SR80i while comparing them to the SR-60is that I eventually bought.

IMO, If the price difference between the SR80i and SR60i is minimal as it should be then go for the SR80i, sound quality wise the SR80i was a tad better.

As someone else said above, if you're going for the SR80i anyway then I'd recommend you look into the Alessandro MS1 instead.

Apr 8, 2010 at 7:11 AM Post #29 of 31
After reading through all of the comments here, I ultimately decided to go with the SR80i's. Just made the purchase. Thanks for all of the help! From what I gathered, there wasn't much difference between the SR80i's and the Alessandro MS1's. The difference appears to be purely objective.

Thanks again. Can't wait til these suckers arrive!
jecklinsmile.gif

Apr 8, 2010 at 7:15 AM Post #30 of 31
Congratz, hope you enjoy them. I am also awaiting for a pair of headphones to arrive, Beyerdynamic DT880 600ohm
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back