Finally investing in a decent pair of headphones... seeking advice!
Apr 6, 2010 at 8:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Mike1590

New Head-Fier
So I've decided to make the jump from the standard iPod earbuds to a decent set of headphones. My budget isn't high at all- I'm looking to spend no more than $100. I primarily listen to rock music (all kinds, but mostly punk as of lately) so if there are any headphones specifically geared toward rock music, that would be great.

I appreciate any help!
beerchug.gif

Apr 6, 2010 at 8:35 PM Post #2 of 31
Grados do rock magnificently, as may others will tell you. The SR-60 or SR-80 is great as an entry level, especially if you don't have an amp yet.

Apr 6, 2010 at 8:44 PM Post #3 of 31
Just did some research on the Grados you mentioned. The SR-60's seem like a great investment. Unless anyone objects or has any other suggestions, I'll most likely go with those. I have yet to read a single poor review.

Apr 6, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #4 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike1590 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just did some research on the Grados you mentioned. The SR-60's seem like a great investment. Unless anyone objects or has any other suggestions, I'll most likely go with those. I have yet to read a single poor review.

SR80i. Even better choice and under $100.

Apr 6, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #5 of 31
Lots of people say that the SR80 is such a minimal improvement over the SR60 that it shouldn't exist

I am extremely happy with my SR60, great pair of headphones.

Apr 6, 2010 at 9:03 PM Post #6 of 31
Hmmm... I'm torn! Haha any more opinions on the SR60 vs. SR80? $20 difference in price borders on expensive for a college kid, like myself.
wink.gif

And thanks for all of the help thus far!

Apr 6, 2010 at 9:17 PM Post #8 of 31
Mike1590 - You should probably give the Koss KSC75 a listen too. I've been happy with mine for a while now. Before I had the KSC75, I tried the Grado SR60 (not SR60i) and I returned it because it sounded muffled to me (but I didn't try cutting holes in the pads).

Apr 6, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #9 of 31
backtofront001: did you mean you're certainly NOT sorry for yours? As in you recommend the SR80's over the 60's? Sorry, just a bit confused, not trying to be a smartass. =P

EDIT: The Koss are very inexpensive but I'm reading good things... just worried about lifespan. Sub-$20 is not a serious investment, but I'd still like something durable.

Apr 6, 2010 at 9:24 PM Post #10 of 31
Quote:

EDIT: The Koss are very inexpensive but I'm reading good things... just worried about lifespan. Sub-$20 is not a serious investment, but I'd still like something durable.

I've had mine for two years now, and they spent most of that time on my bedroom floor beside my bed having books and magazines dropped on them. Besides the cable being stiff, and having a ton of lint and hair in the earpads, they still work fine
beerchug.gif

Apr 6, 2010 at 9:27 PM Post #12 of 31
I'd also say Grados. I auditioned a lot of different cans and am really really happy with the Grado line...the SR 80s are a great deal in terms of bang for buck and you can get them on the FS forums for even less.

Apr 6, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #13 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by gbacic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lots of people say that the SR80 is such a minimal improvement over the SR60 that it shouldn't exist

The improved "i" version is better and spreads the difference more. I have the SR80i and the SR225i. The 225 is for sale after 2 days I purchased it. For $20 more, get a fuller sound that you'll enjoy for years. The $20 will be forgotten soon but the sound will always be remembered and used.

Apr 6, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #14 of 31
I should also point out that the KSC75 may feel odd for a while because they're hanging off your ears. That odd feeling goes away in a few days, if I recall correctly, because your ears get used to them.

Apr 6, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #15 of 31
Quote:

backtofront001: did you mean you're certainly NOT sorry for yours? As in you recommend the SR80's over the 60's? Sorry, just a bit confused, not trying to be a smartass. =P

Sorry Mike I meant I purchased the SR80's a long time ago and that was the can that was responsible for the slippery slope. Now after spending numerous hours on this forum, post SR80 purchase and many other never ending purchases, I feel sorry for my "lighter" wallet.

The thing about this hobby is that you need to set a budget. Check, you already have that covered <$100. Now I would recommend buying the better product if it is within your budget. As in, buy the SR80i's because they are still under $100 otherwise if you end up with SR60i's, you'll always be wondering about the extra $20 and whether you should have gone for the SR80i's instead. Does that make sense
biggrin.gif

One Point to Note: I am not saying that something that is more expensive will be better. I am saying if you are stuck between 2 products where one clearly seems like an upgrade over the other, is marginally more expensive, and is still within your budget, go for the more expensive one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back