Jan 30, 2006 at 3:50 PM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alwayswantmore
Note: Reaching this preliminary conclusion is depended on these factors:

1.) Learning how to properly insert the Etys
2.) Listening at a somewhat robust volume level
3.) Using a top-notch CDP
4.) And finally, the substitution of tri-flange for foamies

Conclusion: If you are not getting good bass from the Etys, keep experimenting. It’s there, you just need to learn how to coax it out of them
etysmile.gif

I'm adding two more factors to my original list (above):

5.) Aria crossfeed on
6.) I let the amp warm-up for about 30 minutes prior to listening

Number 2 (robust listening level) is my biggest concern. When I finally move to regular cans I hope to find one that also sound good at lower volume levels.

Jan 31, 2006 at 6:00 AM Post #18 of 27
This afternoon, before heading to work, I cut the small tips off a pair of triflanges. The mod did not have much impact on bass. It did however improve detail and resolution. The modded flanges are a bit more tricky to get positioned, and they are likely much more susceptible to getting filter clogs. But I like what I am hearing so I plan live with these for at least a few days before trying any other changes.

Feb 8, 2006 at 3:04 AM Post #19 of 27
I dropped the modded triflange (cut to biflange). The biflange had more play in terms of angle. I was finding the extra play to be a problem when walking at the gym (when walking, the weight of the cords tended to pull the plugs out of position and to make more noise). The last couple of days I have been back to stock triflanges with good results.

Feb 8, 2006 at 3:46 AM Post #20 of 27
I always found that I get the best bass from my '4p's with brand new black foamies (never tried the yellow ones). As soon as they get used for more than a week or so, they must lose resiliency or something because it's not the same anymore. Put on new ones, and BAM bass is back.

Not to hijak the thread, but I've had UE super.fi 5 pros since Saturday. I am wholly satisfied with the bass now. Not one complaint at all. I just tried my 4p after a few days off listening to them. It was no more than 1 min and I was back to UE.

Feb 8, 2006 at 5:40 AM Post #22 of 27
I use the large yellow ones like in the picture sometimes, but I also use the short comply tips for UM 2's on my Ety 4 P and get an excellent seal with quite adequate bass and great clear mids and highs.
etysmile.gif

Feb 8, 2006 at 8:38 AM Post #23 of 27
I don't beleive you. Ety's have never produced respectful bass for me. sorry.

Feb 8, 2006 at 10:32 AM Post #24 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Funk-O-Meter
I don't beleive you. Ety's have never produced respectful bass for me. sorry.

I agree on this one. Bass quantity is a lot less compared to Westone UM2 for example. But on quality I can say this: on decent recordings, where there IS bass, you'll here it. But overall I can also say, that's not in big amount, that's why I add 3dB in the lower frequencies with my amp. Bass is great now, both in quantity and quality. Without the amp, or even without the +3dB, I do not like the sound because of the overwhelming detail in the mids and highs, and that hurts after a while.

So overall, I ain't going back, that is to say just a PCDP or whatever DAP. It's hard to get used to the tin and low impact sound of the Eytmotic ER4 without amp, even though I didn't find them 'tin' in the beginning, it's just that an amp makes a lot of difference, even in the bass
smily_headphones1.gif

greetings...

Feb 8, 2006 at 5:36 PM Post #25 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by sidewinder
I agree on this one. Bass quantity is a lot less compared to Westone UM2 for example. But on quality I can say this: on decent recordings, where there IS bass, you'll here it. But overall I can also say, that's not in big amount, that's why I add 3dB in the lower frequencies with my amp. Bass is great now, both in quantity and quality. Without the amp, or even without the +3dB, I do not like the sound because of the overwhelming detail in the mids and highs, and that hurts after a while.

So overall, I ain't going back, that is to say just a PCDP or whatever DAP. It's hard to get used to the tin and low impact sound of the Eytmotic ER4 without amp, even though I didn't find them 'tin' in the beginning, it's just that an amp makes a lot of difference, even in the bass
smily_headphones1.gif

greetings...

Seconded. My Hornet definitely helps!

Feb 8, 2006 at 6:35 PM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by sidewinder
I agree on this one. Bass quantity is a lot less compared to Westone UM2 for example. But on quality I can say this: on decent recordings, where there IS bass, you'll here it...

My comments so far have been limited to very good quality recordings, listening under the condition mentioned above. I am also driving this with over $3,000 worth of CDP and decent interconnects. If I had my choice between more bass and better mids and highs, I'd opt for more inner detail (and sence of space). The bass I hear is respectable, or if it is easier for others to accept -- it's enough to get the job done. As I stated earlier, it's like listening to high quality monitors without the sub.

Nov 29, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #27 of 27
I know that this thread is pretty old, but Ive never managed to get any good sound with the comply inserts. I cant get a good seal at all. Do i need large?

One of my foamies is broken so ill need to order more i guess. Pity more arent included in the pack.I do get decent bass with the foamies (not compared to my full size obviously), i was disappointed when i was using my comply tips

Users who are viewing this thread

Back