Finally bought an amp, what else do I need?
Jun 21, 2009 at 3:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

bba1973

500+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I finally raised enough money to buy an amp and ended up getting one from BSG. While I'm wating for it to be built and shipped, what other stuff do I need to buy for it? I've already got a 120 GB Zune (with WMA Lossless) and earbuds (Altec Lansing UHP336's), but I know I need a headphone cable that's male on both ends (no pun intended...). So far, I haven't seen a Zune LOD (don't think there's been one made yet), so that's why I need a cable for the headphone out to the amp's input. How long should the cable be, about six inches? Where can I get a good one with gold plated ends for fairly cheap? I've tried looking on ebay, but I'm not sure which search terms I need to use. My soldering skills and soldering iron suck, so making my own is out of the question for now. I'll probably go to Radioshack pretty soon, but their website didn't seem to have what I think I need. Any suggestions?

Thanks for reading.

EDIT: What about this interconnect? I'd like to keep it under $10 without making my own, but I'd rather spend $25 on a good one instead of $50 on a bunch of crappy ones.

Jun 21, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #2 of 31
Interconnects take patience to make, and are not terribly expensive, but it would be an investment to make just one. I tried a bunch of different setups, and bought different colors of Star Quad cable. I ended up using an 8" dual 90 degree for my bike:

CustomInterconnect.jpg

I also made (just for fun):
secondcablenoflash.jpg

and:
Firstcable-cat5.jpg

Jun 21, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #3 of 31
They seriously aren't hard at all to make. Just 10 minutes (half an hour tops) of your time, and you probably have something better for the price than most other things in your price range.

Jun 22, 2009 at 12:53 AM Post #4 of 31
What materials would you guys reccomend for a DIY one? How much soldering would it need? I suck at soldering, but it would be a good excuse to hang out with my dad more.

Thanks for the replies, and nice setup Tightwad.

Jun 22, 2009 at 1:00 AM Post #5 of 31
Well on the cheap, Canare Mini Star Quad and the cheapest 3.5mm (1/8th inch) plug you can find. You just need things (sorry, can't think of the correct word) to solder. The left and right channels, and the ground for both plugs.
You also might want Techflex.

Jun 22, 2009 at 1:23 AM Post #6 of 31
The only sturdy commercial interconnects with gold plugs for under $10 that i've been able to find are from headstage ($4.95 i believe, several sizes available). I still prefer my Cardas 6" though, but that's closer to $25. My DIY interconnect turned out too thick and unwieldy, though the neutrik plugs are a pleasure to work with.

Jun 22, 2009 at 2:04 AM Post #7 of 31
Where's the best place to buy a Cardas 6" cable? If it's an online site, I'd really prefer one that takes paypal. Making my own would be a good idea, but I'd like a commercial one first.

Jun 22, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #9 of 31
My cardas is from headroom as well, but I subsequently found this place that has it for $15.99+ship:

TheCablePro

For completeness heres a link to the HeadStage interconnects:

HeadStage IC Page

And the cardas 6" at headroom:

HeadRoom

Jun 22, 2009 at 2:37 PM Post #11 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronald Lee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i would recommend you to upgrade your current earphone? maybe to a UM 1 to pair up with your current rig.

I don't have any money to upgrade my current earphones! I got them for $35 off Amazon, and they're still a huge upgrade from my Sony MDR-EX55's. They sound great to me for now, but I just can't justify buying another set of headphones on my current budget. Is there anything wrong with enjoying what I have?

Sorry if I came across the wrong way, but I'm poor right now. Suggestions of spending lots of money (on my budget anyway) on something I can't afford and don't really need at the moment don't help much.

I appreciate your input, and I'll certainly keep them in mind when I have money to do my next upgrade. Until then, I'll be training my ears to pick up what sounds good. That's an upgrade I can afford.

Jun 22, 2009 at 3:30 PM Post #12 of 31
Quote:

i would recommend you to upgrade your current earphone? maybe to a UM 1 to pair up with your current rig.

Why should he upgrade his 'phones? The Altec Lansing UHP336 is rebadged Super.Fi 3, and sounds very good for the price. Hell, they'd sound very good even at 2-3x that price.

Jun 22, 2009 at 4:42 PM Post #13 of 31
I went to Radioshack, and I came back with a Gigaware 12" interconnect for $10. It's got gold plated ends, and it should hold me over until I make my own. In the event that I don't need it, I can always give it to a friend or use it for a spare.

Jun 23, 2009 at 5:51 AM Post #14 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by stasher1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why should he upgrade his 'phones? The Altec Lansing UHP336 is rebadged Super.Fi 3, and sounds very good for the price. Hell, they'd sound very good even at 2-3x that price.

yea, i do argee the sound for the UHP 336 is near to the SF 3 studio, why not upgrading to the SF5 pro?
atsmile.gif

Jun 23, 2009 at 6:02 AM Post #15 of 31
Quote:

yea, i do argee the sound for the UHP 336 is near to the SF 3 studio, why not upgrading to the SF5 pro?
atsmile.gif

Because I don't have $250 to spend on a slight sound improvement.
angry_face.gif
It ain't easy bein' poor white trash like me. They don't take kindly to audiophiles in Alabama. All we gots in Mobile's just a Best Buy...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back