Finalizing my decision - $800 for dac/amp + headphones
Sep 18, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #18 of 21

Quote:
I am adding them and not selling the 680s I do love the ultrasone sig though!

Outstanding indeed.  The HFI-680 is very balanced across the spectrum and if you like the 'Sones sig, then this would be nice then-  (Sorry don't know the going prices now for PRO900s)

PRO900s & A-GD NFB-5 (about 375 shipped).  Digital filters galore to tailor your sound).  Or the FUN or NFB-12....

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB5/NFB5EN.htm

I own the FUN(A), which the NFB-5 is a re-vamped version and the Ultrasones sound great.  Various inputs/outputs etc.  The best part is, if you ever upgrade to a different headphone it will be up to the task...I have plugged many headphones into the FUN and it never disappoints.

Cheers!!!

Sep 18, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #19 of 21
Haha everyone is telling me different things. This stays within my $800 budget Current prices are;

denon d2000      $230
pro 900              $350
HD650               $350           

My main issue is that while I still think the HFI-680s sound amazing as I listen to them right now they are driven by my $70 sound card, this can't be good. I want to be "wowed" so i also really want a decent dac/amp that will last me through the years, while still sticking to my budget. Oh and also, how much will the sound coming from my ultrasones improve with a new dac/amp?

So.. any thoughts on the equipment I am looking for?

I have been recommended the matrix cube/Maverick tubemagic/A-GD NFB-5

Any definitive answers would be amazing.

Thanks again headfi community!

Sep 19, 2011 at 2:15 AM Post #20 of 21
HDP

Definitive answer and one you will probably not sell for sometime due to well.. Everything about it. Size, total versatility, good headamp, DAC is good enough until you hit Benchamark Dac1 or 1k DAC's, huge performer for bang for buck.

Pre-amp function which I find VERY useful. Also drives most everything quite well with satisfying slam. Not ultimate authority. You need tubes for that, but the transparency is very likable and you'll probably never sell it due to how functional it is..

HDP is a performer... I feel I should reccomend you other amp/dac's, (If nothing else to keep the market competitive) but this is ultimately the #1 choice under $500. Yulong D100 is also good choice depending on your needs, but not as small and not as much connectibility.

The DAC on Yulong D100 is pretty much the best DAC under $1000. That is widely accepted, but with the D100, you're basically buying a really nice DAC + an amp tacked on... (You'll likely want a better amp, if not need one.)

The DAC in HDP competes, but doesn't quite live up to D100 DAC, but other than the HDP is the better buy. Size/portability, more functionality. It doesn't slow down for anything.

Not hating on the Yuolong, it's a great product too and if you can find one used you're in a good place. But as an overall product, HDP takes the cake.

Edit: Slight grammar correction:

Sep 19, 2011 at 2:45 AM Post #21 of 21
I like the Denon D2000... For £200 they are very good value for money IMO and whilst the Ultrasone may have more "wow factor" they are not as good all rounder and also cost almost 2x the price.

Get the Denon D2000 and a good Dac / amp combo imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back