final cut given 9.0 on pitchfork
Jun 4, 2004 at 10:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

fyrfytrhoges

Headphoneus Supremus
i dont always agree with pitchfork media but they hit this one on the head. being a long time floyd fan i have always thought this album was one of the best in their catalog. i know alot disagree and that comes with the territory but i am grateful to see this one get the best treatment possible. NOW JUST GIVE US THE DAMN SACD VERSIONS YOU IDIOTS! what could be better than the quintessential psych band on sacd for headphone lovers???

Jun 4, 2004 at 10:27 PM Post #2 of 4
Yeah, I saw this, but there's one thing he says I want to highlight re: sound quality:
Quote:

This 2004 remaster is nicely updated for the digital age. Since Pink Floyd used vinyl to its fullest, the volumes varied wildly, and, as compact disc technology was barely examined when The Final Cut was first issued, there was huge room for improvement via normalization and the reduction of tape noise.

This has been a "controversial" release over at Steve Hoffman's site, as you may know, they HATE noise reduction over there. Here's a link to the long thread there: http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/sh...9&page=1&pp=20

Jun 4, 2004 at 10:41 PM Post #3 of 4
nice link mark, maybe ill hold off on this one until more people lend their opinions, i have the original remaster and it sounds fine to me. when the tigers broke free is on the last comp. so i dont need that either. i guess time will tell, but good info nonetheless.

Jun 6, 2004 at 3:58 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by fyrfytrhoges
i dont always agree with pitchfork media but they hit this one on the head. being a long time floyd fan i have always thought this album was one of the best in their catalog. i know alot disagree and that comes with the territory but i am grateful to see this one get the best treatment possible. NOW JUST GIVE US THE DAMN SACD VERSIONS YOU IDIOTS! what could be better than the quintessential psych band on sacd for headphone lovers???

I think the review was spot-on. I even sent the guy an email. Love THE FINAL CUT. Though I doubt I'll be buying any cd version anytime soon, my vinyl copy I picked up from a friend years ago for a few bucks is still in great shape and sounds amazing to me. Lots of impact. "The Gunner's Dream" is one of my favorite Pink Floyd songs, with perhaps my favorite Floyd moment, when Roger sings "Hold On to the Dream!!" and his voice fades into that sax solo.. awesome..

-jar

Users who are viewing this thread

Back