Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Oct 5, 2019 at 7:35 PM Post #9,046 of 11,668
So, I’ve started noticing channel imbalance issues with my E5000. I saw someone else had channel imbalance as well on this thread. I ordered them from Amazon, so maybe I should just return for another pair? Or should I contact Final Audio? I tried swapping cables too, no difference.

Better return it, Final has amazing warranty, and their units shouldn't have channel imbalance, so who knows, mabe some dust or moisture is cloggingh something.

Oct 6, 2019 at 7:58 AM Post #9,047 of 11,668
In my humble opinion, the VI is one of the best sounding headphones under $1,000. I can’t compare it to the Shure since I’ve never listened to it, but if you like an extended top end with great micro detail retrieval, then you should try to audition it. The bass performance is quite good as well, and the midrange, to my ears, is neutral with very little grain.

This headphone which is easy to drive deserves to be used with higher quality gear in order to truly appreciate how good it is (I use an A&K AK240SS). Some claim it is too bright sounding due to its use of a BA driver for the trebles, but I disagree, and I am very sensitive to any anomalies in the upper frequencies. Regarding the comfort, I never had troubles listening to the VI for extended periods of time (> than two hours), but this is a highly individual quality. The design of the VI spreads its ~480 gram weight evenly, so I never felt any pressure points.

With all this said, I’m giving my VI to my 17 year old son who has followed in my footsteps of loving music and higher quality audio gear. I’ve gotten to the point of not wanting to collect headphones/IEMs anymore, and my current final D8000, final B1, and Focal Utopia give me enough variety to satisfy my listening needs without getting bored. Yes, I’ve attained end game status that for my age (60), is a good thing. This passion is getting very expensive these days.
I had the IV several years ago and sold it because the 480 gram wt. while distributed evenly was still 480 grams on my head. So after 20 minutes it became very uncomfortable (unless lying down or leaning back on my chairs headrest) so I sold them. I agree the sound is amazing. Don't they make a lighter planer or other full-size?

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #9,048 of 11,668
I had the IV several years ago and sold it because the 480 gram wt. while distributed evenly was still 480 grams on my head. So after 20 minutes it became very uncomfortable (unless lying down or leaning back on my chairs headrest) so I sold them. I agree the sound is amazing. Don't they make a lighter planer or other full-size?

Did you have the IV or VI? The IV is about 70 grams lighter if my memory is correct.

The D8000/D8000 Pro are final’s planar headphones, but they are TOTL with a price that matches. The Sonorous III is similar to the IV but doesn’t have the BA driver for the upper frequencies, and I believe they have the same weight as the IV.

I have a dedicated lounge chair for headphone listening, so that makes it easier for me to handle the weight.

B5A21199-FC11-4EBA-9B99-EEE986B7F2BB.jpeg

Oct 11, 2019 at 8:36 AM Post #9,050 of 11,668
So they are using the design concept of no crossover like imr and other companies?

Oct 19, 2019 at 11:45 PM Post #9,052 of 11,668
Noticed on ebay a used e4000 minus its cable selling for 65 quid. A real shame for the buyer as the cable makes a big part of its unique sound. When I've messed about with other cables the e4000 loses that lushness that makes it such a pleasant listen.

Oct 20, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #9,053 of 11,668
Noticed on ebay a used e4000 minus its cable selling for 65 quid. A real shame for the buyer as the cable makes a big part of its unique sound. When I've messed about with other cables the e4000 loses that lushness that makes it such a pleasant listen.

At that price I'd get the box open one for £12.00 more,

Oct 22, 2019 at 12:37 PM Post #9,054 of 11,668

I’m a big fan of final’s silver OFC cable. I bought two different versions for my D8000, and my B1 comes with it.

Oct 23, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #9,055 of 11,668
I’m a big fan of final’s silver OFC cable. I bought two different versions for my D8000, and my B1 comes with it.
Indeed, the silver OFC cable from Final is amazing. Nowadays, some might think that the thickness and sleeve material of cables make a difference in terms of sound. I experienced some subtles improvements by switching cables sometimes, but most important is the confort, lightness and microphonics. In that regard, this Final cable really delivers.

Oct 26, 2019 at 5:47 PM Post #9,056 of 11,668
Just got a Final F3100. A trade against one of my aftermarket cable. The F3100 is in mint condition and on its way.

Has anyone experience with it?

How does it sound ?

Oct 27, 2019 at 1:34 AM Post #9,057 of 11,668
does anyone think that Final would ever make another earbud? either like the final piano forte ii or a more classic style earbud?

Oct 28, 2019 at 9:55 AM Post #9,059 of 11,668
My E5000 right pair also experiencing intermittent disconnection after trying another cable and return the stock. I need to rotate the iem until the connection is in place, my advise is to not ever remove the cable.

Oct 28, 2019 at 2:24 PM Post #9,060 of 11,668
My E5000 right pair also experiencing intermittent disconnection after trying another cable and return the stock. I need to rotate the iem until the connection is in place, my advise is to not ever remove the cable.

Yes, final explicitly states this on its website, and I presume that is why the B series cables (perhaps other series as well) are difficult to remove. The purpose of removable cables is for replacing a defective cable, not cable swapping with other brands, at least in final’s view.

I’m very happy with the silver OFC cable on my B1. :ksc75smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back