Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 27, 2019 at 10:45 AM Post #8,356 of 11,668
Yes, I feel the same Zilkhaw. I understand that people that are quite treble sensitive find the VI too hot, but I don't think we can talk about sibilance or harshness here... Just my opinion.

About the case: yes, it is the one I was talking about. You can remove the foam and place the cable in the middle of the headphone. There also is a generic case available on eBay, without foam. The item's name is Black Tough EVA.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2019 at 1:16 PM Post #8,357 of 11,668
Man, all that psychoacoustic science they applied in the E4000 to reduce the masking effect must work cause the more I listen to them, the more I like them. They don't seem as clear or capable as my multi-BA IEMs, yet I can hear more. Other than Final and IE 800, what other IEMs have reduced masking effect?

Jan 27, 2019 at 2:25 PM Post #8,358 of 11,668
They don't seem as clear or capable as my multi-BA IEMs, yet I can hear more.
I exactly think the same about my E5000. Nice wrap-up

Jan 28, 2019 at 9:32 AM Post #8,359 of 11,668
Jan 28, 2019 at 4:10 PM Post #8,360 of 11,668
Nothing holds you from getting the E5000 anymore actually. Go balanced directly, meaning 4.4mm with your ZX300. OC Studio makes wonderful cables with perfect connectors and hooks for the E5000. We share the same love for the Sonorous VI, E5000 has a completly different sound signature, full size vs. IEM aside, but the musicality is still there. For USD 179.-, it is a jaw-dropping price/performance ratio.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2019 at 5:24 PM Post #8,361 of 11,668
Nothing holds you from getting the E5000 anymore actually. Go balanced directly, meaning 4.4mm with your ZX300. OC Studio makes wonderful cables with perfect connectors and hooks for the E5000. We share the same love for the Sonorous VI, E5000 has a completly different sound signature, full size vs. IEM aside, but the musicality is still there. For USD 179.-, it is a jaw-dropping price/performance ratio.

I think I will go to Tokyo to demo the E5000 again to compare my MAKE2 with it again and also comparing the OC Studio cable with Final silver cable.
I actually love Final silver cable so much for how much audible improvement it gives me compared to the stock black cable.

But to be honest, I actually do not know how to compare any earphone with MAKE series since MAKE series is tunable.
What I mean is, if I can tune my MAKE2 to become exactly the same as E5000, then it means that I will just stay with MAKE2.
And I think it is another reason that no one actually can write a review to compare MAKE series to others.

Btw for OC Cable, how do they sound compared to Final silver? And any recommendation on their cable? I went to their homepage and found out that there is no much information there. And I am a little bit confused about the price of the cables stated there. All cables are tagged as NT$0.00?

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2019 at 7:09 PM Post #8,362 of 11,668
I think I will go to Tokyo to demo the E5000 again to compare my MAKE2 with it again and also comparing the OC Studio cable with Final silver cable.
I actually love Final silver cable so much for how much audible improvement it gives me compared to the stock black cable.

But to be honest, I actually do not know how to compare any earphone with MAKE series since MAKE series is tunable.
What I mean is, if I can tune my MAKE2 to become exactly the same as E5000, then it means that I will just stay with MAKE2.
And I think it is another reason that no one actually can write a review to compare MAKE series to others.

Btw for OC Cable, how do they sound compared to Final silver? And any recommendation on their cable? I went to their homepage and found out that there is no much information there. And I am a little bit confused about the price of the cables stated there. All cables are tagged as NT$0.00?

If you happen to Come across the Sony IER-M7, Could you demo them and share your Impression?

Thanks in advance!

Jan 28, 2019 at 8:09 PM Post #8,363 of 11,668
I agree too.
Maybe good if you listen in low volume.
I had it for a while and tried different pads, inserted felt, etc., but didn't work well and finally, sold.
I know it has a special taste of its own and loved its transparent uncolored mids and how the bass sounds, but was bit too hot for me.

I listen to my VI at a very loud level with no issues. The source/amplifier makes a big difference even though these have an 8 ohm impedance. When I listen to lossless files on my iPhone, the sound is a bit brittle, but when I use my RHA DacAmp, no such problems. The DacAmp has tone controls, but I leave the treble flat, with a 2-3dB boost in the bass depending on the genre of music.

Jan 29, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #8,364 of 11,668

If you actually can tune the MAKE 2 like the E5000, no reason to buy the latter. End of the story.
I am still waiting for the E8000, which most likely will be a single DD or maybe a BA. Same concept here if the MAKE 2 can replicate this signature, what is the use of getting a USD 1000+ IEM? On the other hand, Final unlikely will take the cannibal way. That is the reason why I think that neither the E5000 nor the forthcoming and as per today unheard E8000 will or can sound like a MAKE 2, independent of the tuning and the almost endless possibilities. Nevertheless, it surely is possible that MAKE 2 might sound better to anyone's taste compared to the E5000/E8000 with the right tuning. If a MAKE 2's owner succeeds in finding the magic formula for him in the long run (sound subjectivity aside) then share it please, because this could be true endgame.

About OC Studio: Internet website has not been updated since months. Michael, the owner, can be contacted via FB. OC Studio has a dedicated page.

My OC Studio UE X 4.4mm definitively is built like a TOTL cable. Connectors at both ends (MMCX and Furutech plug), hooks, split, everything is amazing. Soundwise, compared to Final silver cable, it is a step up because 1) soundstage opens and treble is getting a bit higher and clearer 2) no microphonics compared to Final's silver cable and 3) the OC Studio's hooks are the embodiement of confort. Last but not least, from the ZX300, the E5000/UE X combo is like enjoying a candle light dinner with your music. You have a nice luminosity yet intimate atmosphere while salivating at the delights being presented to you.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2019 at 6:16 PM Post #8,365 of 11,668
If you actually can tune the MAKE 2 like the E5000, no reason to buy the latter. End of the story.
I am still waiting for the E8000, which most likely will be a single DD or maybe a BA. Same concept here if the MAKE 2 can replicate this signature, what is the use of getting a USD 1000+ IEM? On the other hand, Final unlikely will take the cannibal way. That is the reason why I think that neither the E5000 nor the forthcoming and as per today unheard E8000 will or can sound like a MAKE 2, independent of the tuning and the almost endless possibilities. Nevertheless, it surely is possible that MAKE 2 might sound better to anyone's taste compared to the E5000/E8000 with the right tuning. If a MAKE 2's owner succeeds in finding the magic formula for him in the long run (sound subjectivity aside) then share it please, because this could be true endgame.

I mean, I am not saying MAKE series is end game. Because no matter how well it can be tuned, the driver is still the main unit which decides the clarity, soundstage, imaging and many other characteristics.

But when it comes to E5000, because E5000 and MAKE series actually come out in the same year, so I am wondering, if E5000 actually sharing the same dynamic driver with MAKE series, then it might have the possibility to tune MAKE as close as E5000.
However to test this out, it will take a very long time to try out and it will not be possible without owning E5000 in the first place I guess :D

How much is your OC Studio UE X 4.4mm?

If you happen to Come across the Sony IER-M7, Could you demo them and share your Impression?

Sure, but I think it will be around Mid of February though.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2019 at 2:31 PM Post #8,367 of 11,668
Not to beat a dead horse... But no one here can comment on difference of sound signature between e5000 vs. Heaven viii?
Your question made me curious, so I had a quick subjective listen.
- E5000 vs Heaven VIII - H8 has tighter bass, and more detail and transparency. Voices have a extra level of detail that makes the singer more present. The E5K sounds muffled, compared to the H8
- I then tried the AKR02, and had a similar observation, that the AKR02 had another level of clarity that made the H8 sound like it was lacking some detail. The AKR02 sound was a bit harsh, as I had not used it for awhile, but it started to smooth out quickly. Going back to the H8, you noticed the lower detail and transparency. The AKR02's strength is detail, which can make bad recordings unlistenable.
- all 3 had good bass, though with different character.

The Final single BAs are quite amazing for their wide range, from lows to high, coming out of a single BA. The :Lab I with 2 BAs in parallel is quite amazing.

Of course these are not fair comparisons, as the H8 costs 2.5 times the E5K, and the AKR02 is about 2 x the H8.

Any of them are fine earphones, by themselves. You enjoy them for what they are, and compare them to equivalents, and they will beat most similar priced IEMs.
You do get something for the extra money that you spend for the upper models. Final does put more of their magic into their upper models. I guess the components are better, with tighter tolerances, etc.
So the old Final IEMs are still very competitive/musical, and worth getting if you find them for reduced prices.

Jan 30, 2019 at 4:07 PM Post #8,368 of 11,668
I mean, I am not saying MAKE series is end game. Because no matter how well it can be tuned, the driver is still the main unit which decides the clarity, soundstage, imaging and many other characteristics.

But when it comes to E5000, because E5000 and MAKE series actually come out in the same year, so I am wondering, if E5000 actually sharing the same dynamic driver with MAKE series, then it might have the possibility to tune MAKE as close as E5000.
However to test this out, it will take a very long time to try out and it will not be possible without owning E5000 in the first place I guess :D

How much is your OC Studio UE X 4.4mm?

I should have added that MAKE 2 can be considered end game for their price tag, given the customization alternatives and under the condition that the perfect tuning for one listener can be found. My E5000 is my end game at that price range, considering the sound and built. About the dynamic driver of the MAKE 2 and the E5000: Without extended research, I suppose that it should be the same, a 7mm one if I am not mistaken. On their official website, it looks like it actually.

The OC Studio cable cost approx. USD 200.-. Some may say it's a silly price regarding the E5000's price and others invest 2x or maybe more if they believe in real sound improvements, better built, less microphonics, nice look, etc... For me, the cable, respectively the E5000, is worth the price because of the perfect fit via the OC Studio hooks upgrade, the almost absence of microphonics, the braiding technique, the fantastic and solid connectors and ultimately the sound, which is to me more open in the treble and improves the imaging.

Jan 30, 2019 at 7:41 PM Post #8,369 of 11,668
Your question made me curious, so I had a quick subjective listen.
- E5000 vs Heaven VIII - H8 has tighter bass, and more detail and transparency. Voices have a extra level of detail that makes the singer more present. The E5K sounds muffled, compared to the H8
- I then tried the AKR02, and had a similar observation, that the AKR02 had another level of clarity that made the H8 sound like it was lacking some detail. The AKR02 sound was a bit harsh, as I had not used it for awhile, but it started to smooth out quickly. Going back to the H8, you noticed the lower detail and transparency. The AKR02's strength is detail, which can make bad recordings unlistenable.
- all 3 had good bass, though with different character.

The Final single BAs are quite amazing for their wide range, from lows to high, coming out of a single BA. The :Lab I with 2 BAs in parallel is quite amazing.

Of course these are not fair comparisons, as the H8 costs 2.5 times the E5K, and the AKR02 is about 2 x the H8.

Any of them are fine earphones, by themselves. You enjoy them for what they are, and compare them to equivalents, and they will beat most similar priced IEMs.
You do get something for the extra money that you spend for the upper models. Final does put more of their magic into their upper models. I guess the components are better, with tighter tolerances, etc.
So the old Final IEMs are still very competitive/musical, and worth getting if you find them for reduced prices.

Thank you! I realize it's not a fair comparison due to price difference, but I was just trying to ascertain if they were different enough to warrant purchasing the H8. Based on your comments I believe I will.

Jan 31, 2019 at 9:55 AM Post #8,370 of 11,668
TTT123, Thanks for the excellent easy understandable comparison between the Heaven VIII and the E5000. Any chance you could do a quick subjective listen to the Heaven V and E5000? I"m thinking there will be a similar comparison, as the Heaven series because of the BA will probably stand out in terms of tight bass, detail and transparency.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back