Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Apr 21, 2015 at 11:22 PM Post #5,402 of 11,668
Good thing you waited or you'd be a proud bass cannon owner:
http://clarityfidelity.blogspot.kr/2015/04/iriver-icp-at500-with-final-audio.html

eek.gif

Apr 22, 2015 at 7:12 AM Post #5,403 of 11,668
The heaven V and VI is like Audeze Lcdxc/x and vii and viii is like the lcd2/3 tonality. Imo.

Apr 22, 2015 at 8:11 AM Post #5,404 of 11,668
I currently have the Heaven V and just sold my very beloved Pandora VI only due to weight.   I have been primed to get the Heaven VII but just found out its weight, so thought I'd pass this along:

Sony 7550        7grams
Sony ex1000    8grams
Heaven V         17grams
Heaven VII       29grams
Heaven VIII      29grams

I don't find the Heaven V heavy or bothersome, but wondered if others noticed the weight of the VII and VIII?

Apr 22, 2015 at 8:16 AM Post #5,405 of 11,668
I don't. The way they designed, you won't notice they weight at all. I am more concern about the micro-phonics of the cable while walking.

Apr 22, 2015 at 8:21 AM Post #5,406 of 11,668
I currently have the Heaven V and just sold my very beloved Pandora VI only due to weight.   I have been primed to get the Heaven VII but just found out its weight, so thought I'd pass this along:

Sony 7550        7grams
Sony ex1000    8grams
Heaven V         17grams
Heaven VII       29grams
Heaven VIII      29grams

I don't find the Heaven V heavy or bothersome, but wondered if others noticed the weight of the VII and VIII?

It was quite noticeable when i first had them in hand, they are much heavier than your typical iem. In the ear that extra weight is noticeable but i found them very comfortable overall. Moving my head around they didnt feel as secure as other iems but i was unable to properly test how well they stayed in. Other people have said they stay in well when walking but you probably dont want to try jogging with them :D

Apr 22, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #5,407 of 11,668
Walking and biking is perfect for me. Definitely not jogging.

Apr 22, 2015 at 11:26 AM Post #5,408 of 11,668

Just found a pic of a weightlifter wearing the FAD Heaven VIII.  Look how strong he is 
Yet he still can't hold his head up from their weight!!
biggrin.gif

Apr 22, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #5,409 of 11,668
Funny.

Apr 22, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #5,412 of 11,668
Not speed bike, just the park ride.

Apr 23, 2015 at 8:28 AM Post #5,414 of 11,668
  Does the Heaven VII have more bass than V or VI?

From what I've been reading, the Heaven VII is more akin to the IV in tuning. That is to say, neutral bass. The V has a slight bass bump and the VI is quite punchy or a better word to describe it is "planted" though it's not bass heavy in any means. Do note I haven't actually heard the IV nor the VII. I do wish to hear the VIII though. 

Apr 24, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #5,415 of 11,668
thanks to @james444 I was able to audition the Heaven VII

First thoughts seeing them, I'm disappointed FAD went back to their unneccesary ostentanious large heavy housings. The Heaven II-V series had much better housings, small and comfortable. The drivers should be the same size, so no need to make them so big, only for the looks. The checkers on the back remind me of the Heartbeats by Lady Gaga, kind of don't like it....Cable is flat but it isn't too obtrusive as flat cable tend to be. 

as for sound...

bass levels are a bit boosted above neutral but not too much but extension is very good for a BA, among the best Ive heard from a BA. You definitely get what's claimed unlike the Moving Armature IEMs which just can't reach as low as the Balanced Air Movement from FAD. 

Midrange is the main attraction and quite forward. For me, I find it a bit too forward but not as much as the Ortofon EQ8.

treble is a fairly present but there is a treble peak in the 8-10k area which makes it prone to sibilance. I found it mildly bothersome, but nothing to get too worried about, Meelec M-duo short triflanges helped with this. Unlike the bass, the treble rolls off quite apparently, which shows the limit of the technology here

Soundstage is small and initimate but instrument placing is done very well. The sound signature is fairly neutral with a warm tilt and midrange focus. 

Overall, it is the best FAD I've heard, topping my previous favorite the Heaven V Again, [from memory]. But I also think it's way, way overpriced, it is not 200$ better than the Heaven V and even though it is among the best single BAs out there, it still shows the limit of the technology as it can't quite cover the spectrum though it's close. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back