FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
May 7, 2014 at 12:18 AM Post #121 of 18,020

OS: Custom OS based on Android, can supports some third party APP from our website.

Make sure the processor is powerful enough to ensure a quick & smooth experience throughout the player.

Calyx M is based on android, but it has a slow processor which causes it to have a "laggier" than optimal experience.

You guys don't need to put an octacore 3ghz processor in the X7, but make sure it is fast enough to ensure a smooth experience.

(Is it possible to get some Qualcomm Snapdragon guts into this thing? I'm guessing no because that would be too expensive right? )

May 7, 2014 at 12:38 AM Post #122 of 18,020
Honestly though... I'd be all for removing the Weight Limitation from it... I'd hate to think we'd miss out on a cool product because were afraid it's going to be too heavy

but on the other hand limiting the weight might simplifiy the design too, the heavier it is the more hardward you cram into it the hotter it would get... but still... I'm might wind up with one of these in 2015 :3

May 7, 2014 at 12:40 AM Post #123 of 18,020

Make sure the processor is powerful enough to ensure a quick & smooth experience throughout the player.

Calyx M is based on android, but it has a slow processor which causes it to have a "laggier" than optimal experience.

You guys don't need to put an octacore 3ghz processor in the X7, but make sure it is fast enough to ensure a smooth experience.

(Is it possible to get some Qualcomm Snapdragon guts into this thing? I'm guessing no because that would be too expensive right? )

confused.gif
  Why? Isn't it like $1k.  Shouldn't the price warrant a better processor?  From the looks of things, I wouldn't mind one of the big phone companies to just implement a ESS chip into their phones.  Which seems unlikely since they use Snapdragons, and I think the audio chip is integrated.  Maybe Apple might change to ESS one day? Not that it's all about ESS chip, but I have a small DAC that implements an ESS chip with low costing parts, and it actually sounds great, so maybe the strength is in the chip mostly.

AK240 does have dual Wolfsons though and it's regarded as fantastic sounding.

May 7, 2014 at 12:51 AM Post #124 of 18,020

confused.gif
  Why? Isn't it like $1k.  Shouldn't the price warrant a better processor?  From the looks of things, I wouldn't mind one of the big phone companies to just implement a ESS chip into their phones.  Which seems unlikely since they use Snapdragons, and I think the audio chip is integrated.  Maybe Apple might change to ESS one day? Not that it's all about ESS chip, but I have a small DAC that implements an ESS chip with low costing parts, and it actually sounds great, so maybe the strength is in the chip mostly.

AK240 does have dual Wolfsons though and it's regarded as fantastic sounding.

BUT wolfsons will never be a PCM or ESS Chip sadly :/

actually I have no grounds to make that statement on, speaking of Dual Wolfsons, the new hm 802 [COMPETITION FIIO] has dual wolfsons... and I'm not egar to give up my ole hm801 PCM dac chip for some wolfsons :/

that said though the DX90 is running Dual ESS... so the DAP market just got really... competitive! 

May 7, 2014 at 1:42 AM Post #127 of 18,020
  You're right, the 120 uses the Wolfsons.  Now, it's really perplexing as the 240 is using Cirrus chip which are rarely mentioned here.  
biggrin.gif

Actually they used to be pretty popular it seems, and the fact that people are comparing them to TOTL ESS chips and the legened PCM chips makes me interested 

May 7, 2014 at 5:42 AM Post #129 of 18,020

Sansa clip use a 240Mhz ULV single core and is ALWAYS fast and reactive.

May 7, 2014 at 5:50 AM Post #131 of 18,020

Is that conjecture or proven?   Any links to where this is reported?

May 7, 2014 at 5:56 AM Post #132 of 18,020

Is that conjecture or proven?   Any links to where this is reported?

From the Calyx M thread:

"The UI seems laggy although it is still bearable much like the slightly laggy UI speed/fluidity of the AK120 compared to AK240. Definitely not as smooth as the AK240 or the Sony ZX1. Pressing commands and buttons on the UI may observe a 1 sec delay before M responds. I would say the AK120 responds faster than Calyx M when it comes to giving it commands. Hopefully the launch model will be much better than the demo unit. The thumbnails of the album arts load similarly to that of the AK240, i.e. thumbnail pictures loading about a split (half) second later after scrolling the page down. It is akin to browsing your Facebook app page with photos on LTE/4G."

May 7, 2014 at 8:43 AM Post #134 of 18,020
For one thing, RockBox doesn't do anything over 16/48.

It isn't the answer for all questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back