FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Nov 8, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #1,096 of 18,020
darthsmile.gif

Nov 8, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #1,098 of 18,020
  H3 don't need much power. I'm talking here more about quality: low noise, level of details I hear, how the bass is controlled and if it's fast and tight enough, neutral or colored sound...and my X5 is modified (DAC section is also ipmacted but still PCM) so it may sound diffirently with C5 from the stock unit.
That's why it would be nice if Fiio take the amp section of the X7 into very serious consideration, I personally will be ready to pay more for the good DAP which is good overall including headphone output as well...

but that's already the case. the C5 for your IEM doesn't bring lower impedance, it also doesn't bring more power(and your xba-h3 would never need all of what both solutions can provide anyway). about distortion and crosstalk I can't say because I can't find enough intel on how the measurements where done exactly, but I doubt the difference is huge.

you're most likely asking for a sound you like, and not at all for a better amp section.

Nov 8, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #1,099 of 18,020
My X5's battery is quite sufficient.  Like my iPhone battery, I charge it when it gets low.  Unless you are listening more than ten hours a day, it shouldn't need recharging during the day.  I simply charge up at night while sleeping.  Unless you go to sleep with yours going, that shouldn't be a problem.  If you do, well, that's not really a problem for Fiio, you just to find time in the day to charge it.  

Nov 8, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #1,100 of 18,020

you're most likely asking for a sound you like, and not at all for a better amp section.

Well, they just sound much better with an external amp - everything in them.
Directly from the X5 they do sound but for the value of $350 of the DAP. That's fine, may be  I demand more.
Hope X7 will be at a top level.

By the way, ask James why do they offer E12 and E12A and a HS6 kit for X5?

Nov 8, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #1,102 of 18,020
UELong- Understandable from your point of view/needs of use.  I'm ok either way re touchscreens, as I did like the one on my DX50.  I'm guessing that a touchscreen will enable those here that put 20,000 files on their devices to find individual tracks quicker.  On the other hand, trying to use one outdoors (where I typically am when listening to music) can be difficult due to glare/contrast issues. 

James- Please please please ask your engineers (hardworking and diligent they must be) to enable Folder to Folder play in all of your softwares if at all possible.  I know that Rockboxing a device enables that feature, so it must be possible.  

Nov 8, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #1,103 of 18,020
I'm not crazy about touchscreen devices, but I can see the benefits.
I'm not familiar with Android and sound quality, specially in a DAP, but hopefully this will be based on Android 5.0 which is just out and we will found out soon if there are any new features for audio.
I would prefer no WiFi or Bluetooth, but Fiio already made the decision, now is all about the best implementation possible.

Nov 8, 2014 at 4:19 PM Post #1,107 of 18,020
but the battery life should be above 15 hours, for it to be practical.

but that will lower the sound quality.
@JamesFiiO Will the X7 have a '3D' sound similar to the likes of Colorfly's C4 ?

Nov 8, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #1,108 of 18,020
James- Please please please ask your engineers (hardworking and diligent they must be) to enable Folder to Folder play in all of your softwares if at all possible.  I know that Rockboxing a device enables that feature, so it must be possible.  

I'm no software engineer but I would suspect that the reason FiiO is going with Android is precisely for these requests that are taking a long time to address, if even possible.

Remember that they jumped in late to the DAP market and their first attempt (2 years before the X3 was released) failed due to software development. They found a new software developer that was able to meet the challenge but I suspect that they are currently close to the limits of their capabilities. With Android the groundwork will already exist for features well beyond the current UI.

James has also hinted that a user would be able to use their own app for music playback so if FiiO doesn't include the requested features I'm sure there would be an app that exists that would (not 100% sure as I've never used Android myself). I have every confidence that FiiO will nail the sound quality and with Android I suspect that the UI will be better than the current X series. The only hiccup I could see is potentially using a CPU that is not fast enough or not enough RAM to buffer UI requests.

Nov 8, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #1,109 of 18,020
I'm no software engineer but I would suspect that the reason FiiO is going with Android is precisely for these requests that are taking a long time to address, if even possible.

Remember that they jumped in late to the DAP market and their first attempt (2 years before the X3 was released) failed due to software development. They found a new software developer that was able to meet the challenge but I suspect that they are currently close to the limits of their capabilities. With Android the groundwork will already exist for features well beyond the current UI.

James has also hinted that a user would be able to use their own app for music playback so if FiiO doesn't include the requested features I'm sure there would be an app that exists that would (not 100% sure as I've never used Android myself). I have every confidence that FiiO will nail the sound quality and with Android I suspect that the UI will be better than the current X series. The only hiccup I could see is potentially using a CPU that is not fast enough or not enough RAM to buffer UI requests.

now that you mention it... it will have to have a LOT of memory and processor to run nice... Anyone remembers cowon?.. and how they actually tried to upgrade their j3 to something Z2 which was android based?.. it was a bad player. Very very bad. It had problems with the battery, it heated up a lot, the display was never right, and the worst of all, the lag and often freezing. it was not good at all........
 yroid, to not have to develop an app. But with android, a device is best with an app and that is it. I have a long history with android devices, and they seem to pair with only one app, the rest causing problems. Like my actual phone, for videos, it works like a charm with vlc portable, but lags a lot, and does a bad job with mxplayer, or others. My past device, was working like a charm with mxplayer...

With music, i tried most apps, but sometimes, got back to the original music app with which the device came. Actually, my ZTE Blade VEC 4g, with some dolby thingy drives IE8s better than x5 for some reason. I am just saying, with android it is another world, ehich could be for the best or for the worse.

I am not complaining, but kindly asking the guys at fiio to optimize the player with an app, to work nice. 

Nov 8, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #1,110 of 18,020
The cowon z2 case was built on top of bad 2.3 amdroid family. Nowadays android is seriously better.
Regarding fiio 7, i wish it gets a bit bulky so designers get more space and dontvhave to compromise anything. Id love dual sabre but single ES9018 is also acceptable, thou, dual one would get burried ALL competition... The repkaceable amp is very important, i have 2 amp cards for my hm901 and four amp cards for my MA9 (i use them all!). Battery... Well, someone already said, either massive one or replaceable. Whatever player is used, folders and playlists support is a must, seriously, same as in rockbox. Magnesium case would be nice too, personally i like to feel the device is heavy and rock solid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back