FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Mar 2, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #2,806 of 18,020
  Are you an expert in this technology to have an opinion? I'm not, but I read around to learn. For instance, right after launching 128GB MicroSD by SanDisk I have read that it was not painted in red-gray because such a painting would take valuable microns of the card's thickness. Also, I remember that nobody but SanDisk was able to produce 128GB MicroSD for half a year. All these mean that technology has reached its top.

mein friend, belive me, technology is far from getting close to the maximum potential. there are pure crystal webs into crystaline webs data storage options. it is supposed that it would be absolutley indestructible, and it would be much much smaller and cheaper than what is done by these days.

also, i know a lot more about other solutions for storage. let me just say that there is a lot that has not been done yet. and it will be done. not yet, but it will. a few years ago, one would laugh when you told him that there would exist ultra FHD display on phones that will look good. they are here, and cost 50$ a piece, even less.

sandisk is just lagging around, because they can make a lot of money off not going straight to 2TB microsd cards. around 2 tb is the place where the fun really ends, because the entire protocol is limited to 2TB. I am curious in how much time, they are going to touch 2tb, and what will happen then.

flash cannot get over 2tb due to fat32 format, exfat is not open, ntfs is not made for flash, writing a new arrangement code is probably what will happwn, but it is going to be fun.

until then, i really watch them and laugh while they throw a 200 gb card for 2X launch price of a 128card.

i remember buying a 64 gb microsd card in 2010. it costed me 150$, there was no real sign of them ever getting bigger. i got two 64 gb cards for 50$ from samsung original, this year.

Mar 2, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #2,807 of 18,020
I'm confident at least 1TB microSD will already have been successfully produced, in R&D lab, but they won't take it into full production now, because they know they can milk the memory-hungry public for each capacity increment.

Same with Intel, nVidia etc. - they have far more advanced processor hardware already developed, but it won't exist outside the lab until 2-3 yrs later, while they milk, milk, milk each little spec improvement.

I do appreciate that there may be a higher wafer failure rate as the capacity density increases. I acknowledge that. But that shouldn't be used as an excuse to charge nearly 4x more for 200gb than 128gb. That's just B$. Do the job properly and do it at a fair price.

Please don't anyone make excuses for the memory industry profiteering - that's being naive (and I assure you, I don't mean that disrespectfully).

The memory industry have us over a barrel and they know it. They are more than capable of producing 256gb or 512gb, but they don't want to decrease their profit margins (higher wafer failure rate) or reduce their opportunity to play the increment game.

As someone with a substantial collection of Redbook flac, and a currently-small, but ever-increasing, Hi-Res collection, I'm sorry, but I cannot allow myself to be extorted by the memory industry just because my DAP-maker doesn't consider it important enough to support more than one card, under the assertion that bigger capacity will be here sooner, or that it's easy to incessantly swap cards during the life of the DAP.

Maybe 2ndGen X5 might be a worthy contender, but I have to protect my finances by avoiding single-card DAPs (unless they have an additional 128gb or more soldered onboard), and by avoiding moronic $400 microSD card-pricing. I'm sure I'm not alone
wink_face.gif

Mar 2, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #2,809 of 18,020
Looks like a smartphone. I like things with Charisma like the x5. This x7 design is no design.

I lightened the X7's picture a little.
Doesn't look bad at all but maybe too sterile.

I guess the blue stripe is no extra LED but part of the display backlight, just as the apple logo is on the MacBooks.

That would be too good to be true.
Unfortunately I think they won't change their decision with only one MicroSD slot.

Mar 2, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #2,811 of 18,020
  I don't know. Android has proven itself to be one of the best things. If it is ripped of all the useless things, it can be an amazing platform to run a very dedicated software.

Yes, it's strange that no DAP-maker (AFAIK) has yet realised that less can be more, when implementing Android.

An extremely stripped, lean and streamlined Android implementation would be a positive thing, in my book. Just add a decent music player app, maybe slightly modified by the original app-coder, at the behest of the DAP-maker, to be licensed inclusively as part of the DAP purchase.

Mar 3, 2015 at 12:36 AM Post #2,814 of 18,020
Will the player work with the Tidal application?

If it does, I'd be pretty much sold.

Mar 3, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #2,815 of 18,020

it should work!

for everyone. there was a discussion about what can be done for a better battery technology. superconductors. i was angry after thinking that batteries nowdays are an technological accomplishment. 

so back after a lot of study,

superconductors can keep an electrical current that persist for 100.000 years. it is quite the thing. i imagine that building in mass would be impossible, and making even one can cost more than 100X the price of a nowdays device, but as for an experiement, and for pushing the envelope, it would be one of the greatest things ever!

Mar 3, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #2,816 of 18,020

it should work!

for everyone. there was a discussion about what can be done for a better battery technology. superconductors. i was angry after thinking that batteries nowdays are an technological accomplishment. 

superconductors can keep an electrical current that persist for 100.000 years. it is quite the thing. i imagine that building in mass would be impossible, and making even one can cost more than 100X the price of a nowdays device, but as for an experiement, and for pushing the envelope, it would be one of the greatest things ever!

Ya, unfortunately superconductor operation is unstable at anything much above absolute zero. 

Mar 3, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #2,817 of 18,020
  it should work!

Awesome that's great to hear! Will keep an eye out for official support prior to launch date.

Mar 3, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #2,818 of 18,020
I don't know about that. it seems like it is stable to be used under liquid helium in LHC [large hadron collider]. They have exposed wires of superconductor materials. It is one thing, because a very thin wire can hold within more electricity than an entire power plant. all that is needed is the liquid helium. which, if conditioned corectly, can be put in some sort of small container. situation in which there only remains the problem of how to cool back the liquid helium after a while, thing which can be done electrically, in the same container, with a lot of electricity. thing that would eventually work out, with companies being able to construct batteries that would end up a little larger than nowdays batteries, but that need recharge once a month or so...

downsides would be extreme prices, all materials are pretty expensive, and extreme danger to use the entire thing.
whilst i can project something like that, at least on paper, i cannot really make it usable, as it would need more than 8 mm of crystal to keep it from spilling. and another 8-12 mm of continous thermic protection. and another layer of thermic protection. the core can be the size of a normal batterry, but the final product will be more the size of an old nokia phone. not to mention that touching the electrical anode and cathode would mean instant electrocution, because of it holding so much electricity.

imagine holding it in your pocket, then liquid nitrogen falling out. it can freeze the entire leg in a matter of seconds.

also, i do not think that it is entirely possible with how electricity works, to really use it. because it would only have a place of a large -, without a +, or a difference of potential.

just saying, not all the options were used, and there are far more fun things that can be achieved from experimenting, if one is really interested. with time, i think that we could keep a nuclear power plant in a pocket, but again. even if one would consider makiing a cold fusion mechanism, it still is too dangerous to be kept around. 

Mar 3, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #2,819 of 18,020

Awesome that's great to hear! Will keep an eye out for official support prior to launch date.

just to ask for heck's sake. as you have hd650, i know them very well, but ended up owning something better. why would you use tidal instead of collecting music?

i mean, by collectiong, you have access to more music, than it will ever be on tidal, or any streaming service, and the quality is much more controlled, you can choose from what source to buy or such. i don't know, maybe i am in the old ways, but i am much of a collector.

Mar 3, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #2,820 of 18,020
  just to ask for heck's sake. as you have hd650, i know them very well, but ended up owning something better. why would you use tidal instead of collecting music?

i mean, by collectiong, you have access to more music, than it will ever be on tidal, or any streaming service, and the quality is much more controlled, you can choose from what source to buy or such. i don't know, maybe i am in the old ways, but i am much of a collector.

Not a problem, I'd be glad to answer your question.

I used foobar2000 previously and collected all my music. However, buying lossless files are quite expensive and not really a viable option for me so I end up downloading mostly 320kbps. 

Tidal has about 95% of the songs that I normally listen to and if they don't have it I'll just go download it elsewhere not a big deal. The quality is very consistent with Tidal as you can control the output bitrate of the files and if Tidal has the song in lossless, a HIFI logo will appear (which is 95% of tracks). 

The reason why I say that quality is controlled and perhaps to an extent even more than downloading and collecting own music is that Tidal sources their tracks directly from the artist in a raw lossless format. It is not ripped off a CD or anything (not that it's a bad thing at all) and the quality has been more than enough to satisfy my tastes. Which is enough to earn my $20/month.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back