FiiO X5 firmware 2.50 download and discussion
May 7, 2015 at 4:59 AM Post #166 of 313
  I have this weird stuttering/lagging issue that happens when I play FLAC or any other lossless files. It doesn't always happens but its pretty annoying when it does. This started since FW 2.4 and is still there in 2.5. I tried resetting, restore factory default, clearing the memory. Anyone else facing the same issue?

Also my scroll wheel is really wonky. Sometimes when I am scrolling it decides to go in the opposite direction. Really makes it hard to navigate.

I have noticed this (severe!) stuttering too. Not on all flac files and never on compressed files. It happened for me on a high resolution flac album, in my case "Dr Cheskys Sensational Fantastic and Simply Amazing Binaural Sound Show" which some of you probably have. This is a 96k / 24bit resolution album of samples and is the only one I have this high.
When I played it recently to test some new earphones, it stuttered for 5 or 6 seconds every time I switched tracks, and sometimes during normal playback without me touching any controls.
I was going to revert to 2.4 to compare, but when I decided to note the problem in more detail at a later date, it played absolutely fine. Very frustrating when problems cannot be reproduced - so you never know when it's going to happen again. When it did happen, the tracks were completely impossible to listen to. It was that bad, I was beginning to think the SD card had got corrupted, but all my other stuff played fine. Because it is sporadic, I don't think it can be a card problem - more likely some sort of buffering issue. I am just glad I don't use lots of high res files or I would be most upset.

I don't have any issues with the scroll wheel though, but I never have to scroll through long lists so maybe I would just never see this behaviour.

May 7, 2015 at 5:01 AM Post #167 of 313
Also add some efficient way for browsing the music library.

Like:
If scrolling down the artist menu,
After 2-3 fast spins the scroll should be on alphabet bases or increase the speed or some'n like that.

Its a pain finding a specefic song.

Another thing:
A next song functionallity.
i want to be able to stand on a song/album and have an option to mark 'play next'.
So each time i play music for my friends i dont have to stop after each song Or have it play again.

1.a-z browsing
2.Next song functionallity

May 7, 2015 at 5:04 AM Post #168 of 313

I have noticed this (severe!) stuttering too. Not on all flac files and never on compressed files. It happened for me on a high resolution flac album, in my case "Dr Cheskys Sensational Fantastic and Simply Amazing Binaural Sound Show" which some of you probably have. This is a 96k / 24bit resolution album of samples and is the only one I have this high.
When I played it recently to test some new earphones, it stuttered for 5 or 6 seconds every time I switched tracks, and sometimes during normal playback without me touching any controls.
I was going to revert to 2.4 to compare, but when I decided to note the problem in more detail at a later date, it played absolutely fine. Very frustrating when problems cannot be reproduced - so you never know when it's going to happen again. When it did happen, the tracks were completely impossible to listen to. It was that bad, I was beginning to think the SD card had got corrupted, but all my other stuff played fine. Because it is sporadic, I don't think it can be a card problem - more likely some sort of buffering issue. I am just glad I don't use lots of high res files or I would be most upset.

I don't have any issues with the scroll wheel though, but I never have to scroll through long lists so maybe I would just never see this behaviour.

Yes! That's what I would call it - Buffering issue. It does happen exactly as you have described. On some flacs and some 24 bit files. Now I'm more convinced that it's a software issue. Had it starting from 2.4.

So does your scroll wheel work perfectly? Say if you try to scroll one down/up, does it always work correctly?

May 7, 2015 at 5:12 AM Post #169 of 313

So does your scroll wheel work perfectly? Say if you try to scroll one down/up, does it always work correctly?

I would say it works as expected. It is not perfect (as per other people's posts - a bit "loose" so easy to jump to wrong selection just as you press centre button).
However, I have not seen what you describe and I have no navigation issues.

May 7, 2015 at 5:36 AM Post #170 of 313
Have you guys with the stuttering issue formatted your card inside the X5 or with another piece of software? Many issues with buffering files in the past were from card formatting issues that have been resolved by using the X5 to format the card.

May 7, 2015 at 5:38 AM Post #171 of 313
These problems seem to be in need of a support contact. 

I had not observed stuttering, and if i did, i reset holed on spot.

Maybe, for the wheel problems, it is possible to repair by fiio, but the firmware problems, should be repairable by the user.

Try this combo, worked for me.

Install an older firmware.
factory reset
push reset hole
let it start up
shut down
take microsd card out, put new firmware on it
start firmware update
let it update
see if it happens again, if it happens
{
reset hole
factory reset
reset hole
reinstall firmware}

if this does not work, it means that you need to contact fiio

This method works sometimes, because sometimes parts of the firmware remain blocked in the RAM memory, creating bugs.
Please use an empty microsd card, with less than 2 gb for doing this, as fiio stated.

Have you guys with the stuttering issue formatted your card inside the X5 or with another piece of software? Many issues with buffering files in the past were from card formatting issues that have been resolved by using the X5 to format the card.

Also this is very true!

If the microsd cards is problematic, the firmware might be working well, and the microsd card creating the problems.

May 7, 2015 at 5:42 AM Post #172 of 313
I'm telling you guys........... There have been dozens of posts from the beginning of the X5 where formatting the card with the X5 solved many stuttering issues, especially with high res files. It's more than likely the X5 prefers a certain allocation unit size and not all FAT32 formatting software uses the same allocation unit size that the X5 prefers.

If the cards were indeed formatted with the X5 then it may be time to call support, but if not it's a very simple fix to try.

May 7, 2015 at 6:49 AM Post #173 of 313

My card is formatted by the X5 since day one so this is not the issue. I think its the Firmware since I'm not the only one with this issue. As I mentioned earlier, it only happen starting from FW2.4..

May 7, 2015 at 6:51 AM Post #174 of 313
Ah, well that eliminates that.

May 7, 2015 at 8:13 AM Post #175 of 313

Yup, I have 2 x 128GB Kingston cards. Both were formatted on the X5.
Also, as I mentioned, sometimes stutter sometimes not. If the filing system were the problem I would expect more consistency. My bet is still the buffering algorithms.

May 7, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #176 of 313
If the cards were indeed formatted with the X5 then it may be time to call support, but if not it's a very simple fix to try.

So assuming we can rule out the formatting issue, I expect calling support is a non-starter.
Without being able to reproduce the error consistently all we can say is "this stutter thing happens sometimes - but not always".
I worked in programming for a long time and intermittent errors when nothing else changes are such a PITA to try track down. 

May 7, 2015 at 8:21 AM Post #177 of 313

When did the stuttering/lag issues start for you?

Since I updated to 2.50.

Also add some efficient way for browsing the music library.

Like:
If scrolling down the artist menu,
After 2-3 fast spins the scroll should be on alphabet bases or increase the speed or some'n like that.

Its a pain finding a specefic song.

Another thing:
A next song functionallity.
i want to be able to stand on a song/album and have an option to mark 'play next'.
So each time i play music for my friends i dont have to stop after each song Or have it play again.

1.a-z browsing
2.Next song functionallity

Both ideas: Love it. Want it. 
cool.gif

Card formatted with X5 since day one.

As for the wheel issues, it started since last winter and it feels like it's getting worse each days.

May 7, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #178 of 313
Re: Stuttering Flac Issue:
I tried a few tests and here is what I found - maybe it's not as random as I thought - maybe it is:

Test 1:
While the X5 is playing a section of high res flac (96k/24bit)
1. Turn screen on for 2 secs then turn off
2. Time next stutter if there is one
3. Wait 1 min
4 Repeat from 1.

Here are the results (number of seconds between turning screen on and off, and next stutter)

16s
19s
07s
25s
06s
00s
48s
03s
17s 55s (2 stutters this time)
10s

Test 2:
Without restarting the device - so it is still in the mood to stutter - reset to same piece of music and do not touch any controls including screen
No stutter at all for 15 minutes, so started repeating Test 1 above. I still could not induce stutter.

Test 3: Play some MP3s then go back to high res flac and repeat Test 1:
I could not induce any stutter.

Test 4: Power the device off then repeat Test 1.

Conclusion:
The first run of Test 1 had a very high correlation of stutter happening after activating the screen. In every instance apart from 1, there would be stutter some time soon after activating/deactivating the screen. I expect the variation in time would again point to some buffering mechanism being affected.

Test 2 almost proves that the screen activation was directly related to stutter as I had changed nothing else and only played the same pieces but not touching the screen. There was no stutter at all.

Tests 3 and 4 are then inconclusive. It's as though the device fixed itself during Test 2. I could not get any stutter after that point.

It's all still pretty random to me but I still suspect the device's buffering is being affected by it doing other work elsewhere (e.g. looking at the filing system, updating screen elements etc.) The fact that it can be a problem one minute and not the next is completely baffling.

May 7, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #179 of 313
  Re: Stuttering Flac Issue:
I tried a few tests and here is what I found - maybe it's not as random as I thought - maybe it is:

Test 1:
While the X5 is playing a section of high res flac (96k/24bit)
1. Turn screen on for 2 secs then turn off
2. Time next stutter if there is one
3. Wait 1 min
4 Repeat from 1.

Here are the results (number of seconds between turning screen on and off, and next stutter)

16s
19s
07s
25s
06s
00s
48s
03s
17s 55s (2 stutters this time)
10s

Test 2:
Without restarting the device - so it is still in the mood to stutter - reset to same piece of music and do not touch any controls including screen
No stutter at all for 15 minutes, so started repeating Test 1 above. I still could not induce stutter.

Test 3: Play some MP3s then go back to high res flac and repeat Test 1:

Test 4: Power the device off then repeat Test 1.

Conclusion:
The first run of Test 1 had a very high correlation of stutter happening after activating the screen. In every instance apart from 1, there would be stutter some time soon after activating/deactivating the screen. I expect the variation in time would again point to some buffering mechanism being affected.

Test 2 almost proves that the screen activation was directly related to stutter as I had changed nothing else and only played the same pieces but not touching the screen. There was no stutter at all.

Tests 3 and 4 are then inconclusive. It's as though the device fixed itself during Test 2. I could not get any stutter after that point.

It's all still pretty random to me but I still suspect the device's buffering is being affected by it doing other work elsewhere (e.g. looking at the filing system, updating screen elements etc.) The fact that it can be a problem one minute and not the next is completely baffling.

re install firmware.

do this a couple of times, with firmware resets and hole resets in between. the ram and buffer needs to be fulshed out of data sometimes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back