Fiio X5 - Custom/Modded firmwares
Jun 13, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #2,356 of 2,614
I've quoted AsianInvasion's post on transferring themes in the X5 II custom themes thread.

Jun 13, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #2,357 of 2,614
You can use bigger images but in many cases they will look strange.

The coordinates define the upper left corner of the image and are mapped starting from the upper left of the screen. For the launcher images it's at the upper left of the 400x328 area of the screen. For the top bar it's the upper left of the 400x360 area of the screen.

The only image I found to be mapped to the upper right so far is the scroll bar on the right hand side that appears when going through lists. It's weird the way some of the layout is mapped and we can't change the coordinates of everything.

You can use bigger icons. For example, if you use a 32 pixel image you would set the Y coordinate to 0 and it will sit flush with the top of the screen and finish at the bottom of the top bar. But if they are larger than 32 pixels high they will overlap the edge of the topbar and may look weird. Or it may look cool depending on what the theme is. Best thing to do is try it and report back.

Kind thanks for the answers. 

Then, what should I avoid doing to avoid the need to reset?

I am pretty afraid to try new things to avoid any damage done to it. 

Jun 13, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #2,359 of 2,614
Kind thanks for the answers. 

Then, what should I avoid doing to avoid the need to reset?

I am pretty afraid to try new things to avoid any damage done to it. 

I'm pretty sure experimenting with the image sizes and coordinates is safe. I played around with coordinates and sizes so much one time I couldn't make heads or tails of the interface when I booted. I just powered down, reloaded old FW and everything worked.

Jun 13, 2015 at 10:00 PM Post #2,361 of 2,614
While I know everyone has previously discussed the limitations of what is modifiable with the X5 firmware, now that the second iteration is out, I am wondering whether some of the 2nd generation X5 functions below could be ported to the original X5:

* All-new power management feature: auto standby mode allows player to remain in standby for weeks, ready to continue playing instantly.

* Supporting CTIA-standard in-line earphone remotes (e.g. Apple, Samsung compatible earphones)

The above alone make the new device pretty impressive to me.

This has been a theme thread all along so not sure whether my post is appropriate here.

Jun 14, 2015 at 12:10 AM Post #2,363 of 2,614
While I know everyone has previously discussed the limitations of what is modifiable with the X5 firmware, now that the second iteration is out, I am wondering whether some of the 2nd generation X5 functions below could be ported to the original X5:

* All-new power management feature: auto standby mode allows player to remain in standby for weeks, ready to continue playing instantly.

* Supporting CTIA-standard in-line earphone remotes (e.g. Apple, Samsung compatible earphones)

The above alone make the new device pretty impressive to me.

This has been a theme thread all along so not sure whether my post is appropriate here.

Pretty sure those are hardware changes Romani.

Yeah both of those are hardware related changes. Can't do that.

Jun 14, 2015 at 3:54 AM Post #2,364 of 2,614
I am still unable to understand why the files from x5II firmware do not take much space. If I copy the contents to a new file, it is a normal PNG ~3-4KB, but the files included by Fiio take roughly ~700Bytes for the same file. 

Anyone has any ideea why this would be? they do not seem to be compressed or anything.
blink.gif

Also, copy-ing them to X5, the files seem to add bugs. Or not, I am unable to detect if they add or not. 

Jun 14, 2015 at 4:17 AM Post #2,365 of 2,614
I am still unable to understand why the files from x5II firmware do not take much space. If I copy the contents to a new file, it is a normal PNG ~3-4KB, but the files included by Fiio take roughly ~700Bytes for the same file. 

Anyone has any ideea why this would be? they do not seem to be compressed or anything.:blink:

Also, copy-ing them to X5, the files seem to add bugs. Or not, I am unable to detect if they add or not. 

If you are just doing a copy and paste in a file browser it should remain the same size. If you are going through an image editor your settings may be different than what FiiO used. The png format is a compressed format, like jpg, so yes there is compression.

When you say they add bugs, what are you talking about? What kind of bugs? It would help to know how to help if you could describe the bugs.

Jun 14, 2015 at 7:14 AM Post #2,366 of 2,614
If you are just doing a copy and paste in a file browser it should remain the same size. If you are going through an image editor your settings may be different than what FiiO used. The png format is a compressed format, like jpg, so yes there is compression.

When you say they add bugs, what are you talking about? What kind of bugs? It would help to know how to help if you could describe the bugs.

simply put, if I add the PNG from X5II, the entire UI seems slower, sometimes it seems to struggle to draw the graphics, like the CPU does not have enough power. But as I understand X5II uses the same cpu.

I needed to reset at least once, so I am still trying to figure out why. 

Jun 14, 2015 at 7:18 AM Post #2,367 of 2,614
simply put, if I add the PNG from X5II, the entire UI seems slower, sometimes it seems to struggle to draw the graphics, like the CPU does not have enough power. But as I understand X5II uses the same cpu.

I needed to reset at least once, so I am still trying to figure out why. 

Literally could be the X5 can't handle the compression level used in the .png files for the X5 II (you mentioned different file sizes). I'm just guessing here having worked with image files on a day to day basis.

I'll have one next week at some point to test myself and I can confirm for you what is going on.

:beerchug:

Jun 14, 2015 at 7:27 AM Post #2,368 of 2,614
Literally could be the X5 can't handle the compression level used in the .png files for the X5 II (you mentioned different file sizes). I'm just guessing here having worked with image files on a day to day basis.

I'll have one next week at some point to test myself and I can confirm for you what is going on.

beerchug.gif

Thanks a lot for all the help! I am still learning, and all the works I ever done with pictures were on X5. Icons in X5II are very nice, and I still try to port most of them. Lots of resizing are needed for them to work with X5, but it is fun to do it!

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

Jun 14, 2015 at 8:48 AM Post #2,369 of 2,614
Unless you're saying the below is definitely architecture related, there is no reason why the below can't be potentially done via software:

All-new power management feature: auto standby mode allows player to remain in standby for weeks, ready to continue playing instantly.

Jun 14, 2015 at 8:59 AM Post #2,370 of 2,614
Unless you're saying the below is definitely architecture related, there is no reason why the below can't be potentially done via software:

All-new power management feature: auto standby mode allows player to remain in standby for weeks, ready to continue playing instantly.

I believe i read that it's a hardware relay to switch between battery powerstates. Further more the new X5 uses a gas gauge meter to measure battery life, so i think without that it's not possible to do it on the X5, even with software?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back