Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Jan 3, 2020 at 4:19 PM Post #15,526 of 15,899
Can someone recommend an app to sync my X5 iii with iTunes other than iSyncr? Every since the Mac Catalina update, i can't get iSyncr to work correctly. (I can sync short playlists over wifi, but that doesn't allow me to specify which SD card to sync to. I can't get it to sync at all over USB. I usually get an error loading iTunes, or I get to the "Beginning to Copy Musil Files" and it freezes. I've emailed with JRT and they don't seem to have answers. they say that Catalina responds too slowly and the App times out.)

I’d give Dougscripts https://dougscripts.com/itunes/index.php
a look. The most recent script https://dougscripts.com/itunes/2019/12/new-select-files-and-convert-v1-0/ might be helpful. Take a look and I think you’ll find something that suits your need.

*Edit* https://dougscripts.com/apps/m3unifyapp.php
looks like in addition to the free scripts there’s a $5 app he made that might fit the bill.

I'll give this a shot. Doesn't every need an app for this? Or do you all just drag over the files you want using Finder or Explorer? I'm surprised Google doesn't make something for its Android system.

Jan 3, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #15,527 of 15,899
I'll give this a shot. Doesn't every need an app for this? Or do you all just drag over the files you want using Finder or Explorer? I'm surprised Google doesn't make something for its Android system.
Assuming you're using a mac, those scripts should work with iTunes/Music app. The paid app is standalone.

Jan 3, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #15,528 of 15,899
Gave up on Mac a few years ago. On the PC side I started with MediaMonkey for sync but switched to MusicBee which has proven to be the best Windows music player I've ever used. Free and the developer somehow fixes things and keeps it going. The sync works but after loading up my music I found it easier to just go to the recently added screen and manually click on an album to have it sent to the player.

Jan 3, 2020 at 4:54 PM Post #15,529 of 15,899
i messed around with musicbee for awhile but ultimately i couldn't tweak it to my satisfaction and it does a terrible job with DLNA which messes up the NAS setup i was shooting for

currently using JRiver and like it quite a bit

Jan 4, 2020 at 8:48 PM Post #15,530 of 15,899
I think I solved the problem. I put the X5 iii in a drawer and I'm now using my Pioneer XDP-100!!! All is now right with the world.

:) :) :wink:
I thought the same thing when I switched to the XDP-100. But after a while I started to miss the easy going nature of the X5III. The Pioneer was a pain in the butt for me. I finally broke down and bought a brand new LG V30 for under $180 and now i'm set. Been set for months. The Pioneer will not likely ever see use again. The X5III most likely will. I still have an X5 and an X3. And three iPods. Bah. LOL

Jan 6, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #15,531 of 15,899
I thought the same thing when I switched to the XDP-100. But after a while I started to miss the easy going nature of the X5III. The Pioneer was a pain in the butt for me. I finally broke down and bought a brand new LG V30 for under $180 and now i'm set. Been set for months. The Pioneer will not likely ever see use again. The X5III most likely will. I still have an X5 and an X3. And three iPods. Bah. LOL
What do you dislike about the Pioneer? Just curious. I like the bigger screen, and the touch functionality is better than the FiiO (to me, anyway).

Jan 13, 2020 at 12:18 PM Post #15,532 of 15,899
Not sure anyone has had this issue with Tidal.

After I did a recovery mode data and cache wipe yesterday I reinstalled a few streaming apps on my X5III (stock FW 1.25) such as Tidal, Spotify, etc. from the Play Store. They were the latest versions. When I then tried to login to Tidal, after I entered my username, the "continue" button did not become active and it was impossible to move onto the next step of entering a password. I tried everything, wiped cache, reinstalled, etc., same thing.

In FiiO general discussion (on the FiiO website) I discovered a few people had had the same issue and this has been a problem for the X5 since late fall 2019 at some Tidal Android version post- 2.13. Apparently affects the X7II also.

Someone posted that installing version 2.13 .apk normalized it again and they were able to login--worked for me too. After I had successfully logged-in I updated via the Play Store to v. 2.20xx and it stayed logged-in.

Tidal issue or FiiO issue...? who knows? Anyway, for anyone having to reinstall Tidal for some reason, something to keep in mind.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2020 at 4:42 PM Post #15,533 of 15,899
There used to be 3 icons in a row at the bottom of the X5iii screen. A triangle, circle and a square. What happened to them and is there a way to get them back? It's a pain to navigate when on the android side without them.

Jan 13, 2020 at 4:45 PM Post #15,534 of 15,899
There used to be 3 icons in a row at the bottom of the X5iii screen. A triangle, circle and a square. What happened to them and is there a way to get them back? It's a pain to navigate when on the android side without them.
go to Settings > Display, and check the option at the bottom of the menu to Enable Bottom Navigation bar

Jan 26, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #15,536 of 15,899
After searching and trying many pairs of BT ear buds with the X5iii I received a gift of Soundpeats Truengine SE. So I had to hint to my wife who relayed to my son that I needed earbuds. They are about $50 and for my purposes they sound pretty good with aptX. They pair easily. Great for exercise use.

Not much of a review and it's a genuine unpaid endorsement.

Jan 29, 2020 at 6:17 AM Post #15,537 of 15,899
After searching and trying many pairs of BT ear buds with the X5iii I received a gift of Soundpeats Truengine SE. So I had to hint to my wife who relayed to my son that I needed earbuds. They are about $50 and for my purposes they sound pretty good with aptX. They pair easily. Great for exercise use.

Not much of a review and it's a genuine unpaid endorsement.

Well, if they work well for you and you're happy, congrats on discovering them! :)

Feb 4, 2020 at 3:01 AM Post #15,538 of 15,899
Good morning all, I bought a FiiO X5iii on Saturday. Completely new to this device, I'm slowly trying to figure out how everything works! I've used iMacs, iTunes and iPods for years, so the FiiO/Android architecture is a foreign land to me at the moment.

I'll probably be asking questions where everybody will think, "This guy knows NOTHING." They're not wrong.

My first obvious question is, How do I add album art to the relevant music files? Second, putting playlists together and getting them into the play order I want is child's play on iTunes (now Apple Music). Among my many playlists on iPod, I have 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s etc playlists sorted by date on the 'Comments' column (e.g. 196001). Is there a way to do this on the X5iii?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2020 at 2:03 AM Post #15,539 of 15,899
Good morning all, I bought a FiiO X5iii on Saturday. Completely new to this device, I'm slowly trying to figure out how everything works! I've used iMacs, iTunes and iPods for years, so the FiiO/Android architecture is a foreign land to me at the moment.

I'll probably be asking questions where everybody will think, "This guy knows NOTHING." They're not wrong.

My first obvious question is, How do I add album art to the relevant music files? Second, putting playlists together and getting them into the play order I want is child's play on iTunes (now Apple Music). Among my many playlists on iPod, I have 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s etc playlists sorted by date on the 'Comments' column (e.g. 196001). Is there a way to do this on the X5iii?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Dear user,
1. Embedded album art and external album art are both supported in FiiO Music app. If you would prefer external album art, you could add the album art file in jpg or png format to the same folder of a certain album.
2. Do you mean that you would like to play through playlist automatically?

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Feb 15, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #15,540 of 15,899
Dear user,
1. Embedded album art and external album art are both supported in FiiO Music app. If you would prefer external album art, you could add the album art file in jpg or png format to the same folder of a certain album.
2. Do you mean that you would like to play through playlist automatically?

Best regards
Hi FiiO, sorry to have taken so long to reply. I've been trying (and failing, mostly) to address both the play order and album art questions I asked in the earlier thread. I think I've solved the play order problem, but album art still eludes me.

I created .png files for the album art, copied and pasted the .png file - via the USB link - from my iMac, into the folder of the appropriate album on the SD card. - nothing! Could you go into a bit more detail on the process, please?

Also, a really obvious question, regarding charging. The User Manual recommends using a DC9 12V 2A quick charge adapter to quick charge the X5iii. To charge my Bose headphones, I use a mains plug with a USB connection. As an alternative to a normal charge from my iMac USB port, can I use the the plug I charge the headphones with? I'd rather ask a stupid question than blow up my nice new FiiO X5iii by doing something stupid.

Again, all advice will be gratefully received.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back