Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Mar 26, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #6,001 of 15,899
Amp30 still works for 10%, you might be able to get 6.6% cashback with Quidco too.

Mar 26, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #6,003 of 15,899
Hello there,

Have you tried to remove the "Hi-Res Audio" sticker glued on the tempered screen protector (without damaging the screen protector) ?

The X5 III should be even more beautiful without this (useless) sticker.
redface.gif

Thank you,

Regards

Mar 26, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #6,004 of 15,899
 Something must have changed.

When I had the X5III in Titanium and firmware 1.1.1 I could easily hear background hiss connected balanced with my SE846's between tracks & very slightly in track if trying to listen for it.

When my Red arrived yesterday I immediately updated it to 1.1.3 before using, and connected balanced I couldn't notice any hiss, even between tracks really.

I've spent last couple of hours listening to a range of soft classical/easy listening tracks which have quiet/silent phases in the tracks and I honestly can't hear any hiss in a totally silent room even between tracks and in a couple of tracks the instrument separation; clarity; placement; sound stage; air all sound noticeably improved compared to SE.

Anybody else noticed this on balanced?  Can't be down to Red being different surely (unless manufacturing/component variations can make a difference).

Its sounding simply stunning with my SE846's balanced, even better than I remember with Mojo due to wider sound stage than I remember with Mojo. The B&W P5's also sound great with it. 

Updated to 1.1.4 via download (not OTA) with no issues.  Also, not had loss of Spotify offline yet which I experienced before but that may have been down to Spotify with number of offline devices. Not sure on that yet. At the moment its working flawlessly with my Spotify Offline tracks on internal memory and my FLAC/DSD's on single 128GB Sandisk mSD in slot1.

Hi mate,

I've got the SE846 as well, running 1.1.4 firmware on the X5 III black and I have a lot of hiss but I'm using the SE846's stock unbalanced cable.

Could you tell me if you hear some hiss with the stock cable so that I know it's worth to invest in a balanced cable.

Thanks.

No hiss to my ears with stock. Balanced should hiss more. Maybe your sensitive to hiss more than I am. I also have an ifi iEMatch adapter that totally eliminates hiss with SE846's

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Mar 26, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #6,005 of 15,899
Hello there,

Have you tried to remove the "Hi-Res Audio" sticker glued on the tempered screen protector (without damaging the screen protector) ?

The X5 III should be even more beautiful without this (useless) sticker.
redface.gif

Thank you,

Regards

I like the sticker.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Mar 26, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #6,006 of 15,899

You should post what the problem was and what the solution was in case anyone else has the same problem.

I was just using an older code.  Waited until the pop up came up and used that one to see if it works.  It did, problem solved :)  Didn't actually order it, just wanted to see if the offer was still on for when I did.

Mar 26, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #6,007 of 15,899
First of all thanks for your close interactions with end users in firmware improvement.

IMHO, you should keep a minimum of 15 days between upgrades unless critical issues are discovered.
Therefore your teams will have more time for regression tests.

Personally I am paying a lot more attention to non compliances,meaning advertised features not yet implemented.
As for instance, do you have a roadmap or scheduled date regarding USB Audio output?
Rgds.

​Agreed.
I would also like to see a step forward with importing Playlists, especially if they work seamlessly across all 3 memory sources.
It would also be helpful if the Search displayed cover art.
Must admit, I'm still bugged by the EQ volume drop for 100% of users just to avoid some potential frequency clipping in extreme circumstances - would rather they reduced Max Vol as this is even an existing Settings Option.
And, having 3 different Settings Menues is a mess.

Mar 26, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #6,008 of 15,899

I am totally new to the audiophile hobby. Sick of iTunes and iPod Nanos, I was looking for a high-quality alternative and found the world of hi-res DAPs. Wow. After a few weeks of consideration and reading I decided to get the X5iii. I am really happy with it. It ticks all the boxes for me. A lifelong Mac user (since the 1980s), I've never used an Android OS but the setup was easy, loading music to the player was such a refreshing change from the tyranny of iTunes, too. :)

Honestly, my expectations for sound quality have been totally exceeded by this unit. The only glitch I've encountered is the painfully slow OTA firmware update for 1.1.4 - the initial FW upgrade OTA was quite fast actually. So I just downloaded it to my Macbook and did it manually. Easy.

I'm super happy. 

Since this will be a dedicated DAP - no other uses except for playing music - I am considering the custom ROM upgrade from WindowsX, has anyone had any experience with this yet?

I installed and am running it now.  Went from FiiO 1.1.3 to the WindowsX 1.1.4 version.  No problem installing, nor any functional issues since.  Had to rescan library, lost downloaded Spotify content.

Mar 26, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #6,009 of 15,899
Hello there,

The X5 III should be even more beautiful without this (useless) sticker. :xf_eek:

Thank you,

Regards

Yup. Removing the HiRes sticker was the first thing I did. It came off very easy with no residue for me.

Mar 26, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #6,011 of 15,899
​Agreed.
I would also like to see a step forward with importing Playlists, especially if they work seamlessly across all 3 memory sources.
It would also be helpful if the Search displayed cover art.
Must admit, I'm still bugged by the EQ volume drop for 100% of users just to avoid some potential frequency clipping in extreme circumstances - would rather they reduced Max Vol as this is even an existing Settings Option.
And, having 3 different Settings Menues is a mess.

I must have missed some of the settings if this is the case! Where are the three?

Mar 26, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #6,013 of 15,899
My fiio won't download apps from play store, it freezes quite a bit and crashes too. I am about to give up on it and return it while I can. Too bad because I like it quite a bit.

Mar 26, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #6,015 of 15,899

That's just android and has nothing to do with FiiO. The first is the settings in FiiO Music which is specific to that app. The next is the notification shade and quick actions; FiiO customised these to give easy access to some of the important system settings, but it's still an Android thing. The third is Android's system settings. If you use Android this is what you get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back