Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Apr 6, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #6,962 of 15,899
It's probably a bit off, I'd say you need Cowon PM2. The amount and quality and adjustability that baby provides its unrivalled by any other player on the market (except Cowon's own). You can do wonders with EQ and Jet effects 7. It is couple of hundreds more, but it's all worth it - sounds intergalactic, no bugs, super snappy UCI. I'll keep X5III for the challenge of my patience and because I am a bit of a psycho collector, but anyone that feels "I need more treble, more mids, more bass, instant response by a controls, uber fast library scan" - PM2 is the light at the end of the tunnel folks.

Apr 6, 2017 at 7:54 PM Post #6,963 of 15,899
  I would have to wonder how you can enjoy such a large collection? Do you actually get to listen to it, or is it just as much a collection for the sake of collecting it? I actually feel in many ways all of this choice we all have and such easy access is making music less enjoyable and more of a "thing" we consume rather than experience. Back in the day it was so much more fun to make a mixed tape or CD and then play the whole thing. It was like the slow food of music. Now I find when I listen to music part way into a song or an album I'll start thinking about how great something else would be, or the song reminds me of this other song and bam, switching is so easy that I often do it. I call it musical attention deficit disorder (I'm sure it has been called that before by somebody else even if I haven't heard it).

Some of it is collecting such as 8 versions of the same dead show.  I always intend to to delete some of but with the low cost of storage why should I?  I listen to music at least 12 hours a day ( i am a software developer and can listen to music 90 % of my work day) and there are a bunch of friends and family that also stream what they want to listen to from my collection.  Music has always been enjoyable for the 50 plus years I have been listening and has never been a "thing" for me. Nothing can every replace the thrill of discovering Rory Gallagher because there was a 1.99 LP in the bargain bin.  Now I have 40 Rory shows between 70 and 82 and have listened to each one at least once. I made my own mix tapes back in the early 70s and they were such a part of my life that I still expect to hear the next song I had on one of my tapes when I hear one of the songs now, 45 years after I made the tape.  Every time I hear  Almost Cut My Hair I am surprised that it is not followed by This 'Ol Cowboy.    I'm not hurting anyone, I'm not neglecting any of my responsibilities in pursuit of more music.  So no, it is not a "thing" for me.  I could care less if it is a "thing" for others if that is what they choose to do.

Apr 6, 2017 at 8:07 PM Post #6,964 of 15,899
  Some of it is collecting such as 8 versions of the same dead show.  I always intend to to delete some of but with the low cost of storage why should I?  I listen to music at least 12 hours a day ( i am a software developer and can listen to music 90 % of my work day) and there are a bunch of friends and family that also stream what they want to listen to from my collection.  Music has always been enjoyable for the 50 plus years I have been listening and has never been a "thing" for me. Nothing can every replace the thrill of discovering Rory Gallagher because there was a 1.99 LP in the bargain bin.  Now I have 40 Rory shows between 70 and 82 and have listened to each one at least once. I made my own mix tapes back in the early 70s and they were such a part of my life that I still expect to hear the next song I had on one of my tapes when I hear one of the songs now, 45 years after I made the tape.  Every time I hear  Almost Cut My Hair I am surprised that it is not followed by This 'Ol Cowboy.    I'm not hurting anyone, I'm not neglecting any of my responsibilities in pursuit of more music.  So no, it is not a "thing" for me.  I could care less if it is a "thing" for others if that is what they choose to do.

Pretty sweet to hear from somebody who really is able to get such great use and enjoyment out of their musical life. I'm not saying it is rare, but it doesn't seem common these days. I also personally couldn't care less if it is a thing for others, as you said it would be what they choose to do. Sadly for me the more choice I get, the more distant I feel from the enjoyment I used to get, but it isn't terrible or fatal, just a tendency I need to be aware of. Quite amazing to hear of such collecting under any circumstances. And to be fair, I didn't say you were hurting anyone or neglecting your responsibilities, I was just shocked by the sheer numbers you were presenting and I guess I personalized it through my experience. Sorry you took offense when none was intended.

Apr 6, 2017 at 8:12 PM Post #6,965 of 15,899

An update- clearing the database and the cache every time I attempt to scan has successfully allowed me to scan my full library more frequently. The total is 58,000 tracks or so and it has completed twice in a row now.  

However, the program now crashes immediately after only 47,000 or so appear in the library. I have sent crash logs across the board and don't understand why this is now an issue vs. being able to scan all 58,000 a few days ago. The files have not changed since. 

@FiiO
  - I would love to hear back about this as you can! 

Dude, you are scarry, 58,0000 tracks!? You are either 150 years old, or you acquired every recording ever produced,.... Or both! Lol!

frankieteardrop

I kept thinking along the same lines. I have about 14,000 songs on two 200 gig cards... a mix of mostly Flac and some mixed resolution MP3 files.  (when used in shuffle mode that gives me close to a month of continuous listening without hearing the same song again)  Tis is about 40% of my library.  Every so often I refresh things. Remove and replace... 58,000 files has to be pushing the limits for most DAPs. File system issues, processing, and cataloging time...
Just WOW !!
If you get it to work it is a significant tribute to the engineers at Fiio.

Good luck!!!

Apr 6, 2017 at 8:20 PM Post #6,966 of 15,899
  Pretty sweet to hear from somebody who really is able to get such great use and enjoyment out of their musical life. I'm not saying it is rare, but it doesn't seem common these days. I also personally couldn't care less if it is a thing for others, as you said it would be what they choose to do. Sadly for me the more choice I get, the more distant I feel from the enjoyment I used to get, but it isn't terrible or fatal, just a tendency I need to be aware of. Quite amazing to hear of such collecting under any circumstances. And to be fair, I didn't say you were hurting anyone or neglecting your responsibilities, I was just shocked by the sheer numbers you were presenting and I guess I personalized it through my experience. Sorry you took offense when none was intended.

No offense taken.  Just finished my 6th 12 hour day (rolled out software to 2,500 users at a hospital this weekend) and I am a little cranky.     I would say 85% of my collection is live music, the rest commercial. Many of them are albums i had on vinyl, cassette, CD and now flac.    Now there is not much of a need to even collect with the Live Music Archive - https://archive.org/browse.php?collection=etree&field=creator  - which currently has close to 165,000 live shows.  Every show can be streamed, many can be downloaded as flac, mp3, vbr, ogg

There are also esoteric collections there such as kmart weekly tapes - https://archive.org/details/attentionkmartshoppers (click More to read his story) - or the niven jazz collection - https://archive.org/details/davidwnivenjazz (click About)

This guy recorded his vinyl onto cassettes with commentary at the start and made liner notes! 

There are a few android apps for the archive and when i upgrade from X5 I to X5 III in a few weeks i plan to install them and test them out.

Apr 6, 2017 at 8:27 PM Post #6,967 of 15,899
  No offense taken.  Just finished my 6th 12 hour day (rolled out software to 2,500 users at a hospital this weekend) and I am a little cranky.     I would say 85% of my collection is live music, the rest commercial. Many of them are albums i had on vinyl, cassette, CD and now flac.    Now there is not much of a need to even collect with the Live Music Archive - https://archive.org/browse.php?collection=etree&field=creator  - which currently has close to 165,000 live shows.  Every show can be streamed, many can be downloaded as flac, mp3, vbr, ogg

There are also esoteric collections there such as kmart weekly tapes - https://archive.org/details/attentionkmartshoppers - or the niven jazz collection - https://archive.org/details/davidwnivenjazz:

From here: http://mentalfloss.com/article/76965/thousand-hours-early-jazz-records-now-available-online

It’s easier than ever to indulge in a passion for old-school jazz. For instance, you can listen to 1000 hours of jazz recordings released from 1921 to 1991, thanks to a tireless record collector named David Niven. The David W. Niven Collection, first donated to a Massachusetts high school in 2010, has been digitally archived and can now be listened to on the Internet Archive, Kottke reports.
Niven listened to his first jazz record at 10 years old, when a older cousin played him a 1925 recording of a Louis Armstrong song. The music enthusiast says he spent the rest of his life accumulating an impressive collection. By the time he was in college, he had thousands of records. He gathered some of his best stuff on a collection of tapes—producing commentary narration and creating liner cards himself—starting sometime in the mid-1980s.
“This is an extraordinary collection,” digital archivist Kevin J. Powers writes on the Internet Archive. “It represents the very finest American music of the 20th century, and because Mr. Niven took the time and care to record these commentaries, he has produced a library that is accessible to everyone from jazz aficionados to jazz novices.”

This guy recorded his vinyl onto cassettes with commentary at the start and made liner notes! 

There are a few android apps for the archive and when i upgrade from X5 I to X5 III in a few weeks i plan to install them and test them out.

Wow, thank you!

Apr 6, 2017 at 9:03 PM Post #6,968 of 15,899

An update- clearing the database and the cache every time I attempt to scan has successfully allowed me to scan my full library more frequently. The total is 58,000 tracks or so and it has completed twice in a row now.  

However, the program now crashes immediately after only 47,000 or so appear in the library. I have sent crash logs across the board and don't understand why this is now an issue vs. being able to scan all 58,000 a few days ago. The files have not changed since. 

@FiiO
  - I would love to hear back about this as you can! 

Dude, you are scarry, 58,0000 tracks!? You are either 150 years old, or you acquired every recording ever produced,.... Or both! Lol!

frankieteardrop

I kept thinking along the same lines. I have about 14,000 songs on two 200 gig cards... a mix of mostly Flac and some mixed resolution MP3 files.  (when used in shuffle mode that gives me close to a month of continuous listening without hearing the same song again)  Tis is about 40% of my library.  Every so often I refresh things. Remove and replace... 58,000 files has to be pushing the limits for most DAPs. File system issues, processing, and cataloging time...
Just WOW !!
If you get it to work it is a significant tribute to the engineers at Fiio.

Good luck!!!

BTW.I get the idea. I have 3 TB of files on my music server. I just never thought that my DAP had/has to carry it all... Different strokes... but there are some limitations to current technology.

Again, I truly wish it will end up well for you... and by extension, all of us.

Apr 6, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #6,969 of 15,899
This set up is marvelous, tonight. Thoroughly enjoying 21 Pilots after a hard run.:muscle_tone2::sunglasses:

Apr 7, 2017 at 1:06 AM Post #6,970 of 15,899

It's simple.

Let's say you have an album from Band A with 10 tracks. Now one of the tracks is a song featuring artist B.

If the DAP uses Artist Album then the entire album (10 tracks) would be displayed by the tag Album Artist which should contain Band A for all tracks.

If you go by artist then it will go by which artist is mentioned in the artist tag and that should be 9x Band A and 1x Band A featuring Artist B.

As you can see that means that in one case the entire album is tracked by the artist/band that released the album while in the other case it will be split up.

This is even worse for compilation albums like OSTs which could have a different artist for every track.

Obviously this depends on how you tag your music but if you go by "standard" tagging then the behaviour should be as above. And that's why in such cases it is preferable to have Artist Album as the tag that defines the artist in the overview and Artist if the Artist Album tag is empty.

Thank you for the this explanation. Personally, I don't fill the "Artist Album" tag of the songs.

Fiio know about this. Usually happens when character has an accent e.g Rudiger where "u" has 2 dots above it.

Thank you for this update.

Apr 7, 2017 at 2:15 AM Post #6,971 of 15,899
  Just canceled my order after receiving this email from audiosanctuary.co.uk.

Dear Darren,

Your order has been accepted and we are currently awaiting stock from the manufacturer. We will endeavour to get your products sent to you as soon as possible.
If you require any further information then please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards

Audio Sanctuary

Why don't these on-line companies state if an item is not in stock!? I ordered through them as four days previously I had bought some £500 headphones that arrived very quickly. I actually posted how happy I was with their service on here. I take that all back. To not state an item is out of stock and to take your money is indefensible. I could be waiting weeks for my item.

I am still waiting for my refund to be applied to my account, as it is still pending.

Obviously, this is not an AudioSancury problem as such, it's a PayPal issue, but it has to be said that if they didn't advertise items that weren't in stock this issue would never have arisen. I would have purchased elsewhere, as there is no guarantee as to how long a manufacturer will take to re-stock a supplier.

Apr 7, 2017 at 2:56 AM Post #6,972 of 15,899
  HI All
i have  a question
when i delete a song directly on Fiio X5 i have noticed that the song in not anymore in the list but it is still present on sd card
is there a way to delete also on sd card at the same moment i delete it on list?
thaank you

Dear Gerardo Trezza,

You can delete the song from local music--browse file interface: 

Silde left to show delete icon

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Apr 7, 2017 at 2:58 AM Post #6,973 of 15,899
  Hi,

I have a question :
Fiio X5 III + Fiio K5 = Fast Charge ?

Dear SebDuke,

The charger of the K5 doesn't have fast charging function.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back