FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Jan 5, 2020 at 8:41 PM Post #7,051 of 7,088
What program do you all recommend for ripping cd to flac? I'd like album art to come up consistently on my Fiio dap but also, if possible, future proof for other dap purchases. Is there a free program you'd recommend? I don't want to have to mess with changing a bunch of settings, etc.

Jan 6, 2020 at 4:18 AM Post #7,052 of 7,088
What program do you all recommend for ripping cd to flac? I'd like album art to come up consistently on my Fiio dap but also, if possible, future proof for other dap purchases. Is there a free program you'd recommend? I don't want to have to mess with changing a bunch of settings, etc.

I use dBpoweramp and PerfectTUNES (for missing albumart and meta) which unfortunately is not free. Exact Audio Copy is free and is considered the standard for CD/FLAC ripping.

Jan 6, 2020 at 5:15 AM Post #7,053 of 7,088
dBpoweramp - even use it under Linux (via Wine). Great programme.

Jan 6, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #7,054 of 7,088
@Brooko thanks for the recommendation! Is there any option I need to pick to make sure the album art is "attached" in a way that it'll always show? Or if I just burn it according to "factory" settings, will it be good to go? Thank you!!

Jan 6, 2020 at 11:33 AM Post #7,055 of 7,088
Last edited:
Jan 6, 2020 at 3:49 PM Post #7,056 of 7,088
EAC is free and can also tag files.

"Uncompressed" gives you WAV
"Compressed" gives you flac

Another great tagging program is MP3tag
What's great about MP3tag is you can create your own custom art.
I often manipulate album art in paint.net so important information can be seen on the X5ii

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2020 at 7:21 PM Post #7,057 of 7,088
So FiiO iis offering to help me with my X5's power issues, which is awesome. I just have to ship it to them. They said to use registered mail or other service that does full point to point tracking.

I've never done this before -- have any of you? Which service would you recommend for a small package like this? (FiiO is in Guangzhou, I'm in DC). Any advice would be useful to me. Thanks!

Just any postage should do just fine as long as they have tracking available.

Jan 21, 2020 at 6:10 PM Post #7,058 of 7,088
Just any postage should do just fine as long as they have tracking available.
OK, thanks.

I called UPS to get an estimate and it was $270, so that's freakin ridiculous. It looks like USPS is the way to go, with Registered small package being something like $30-50 according to their website.

Jan 23, 2020 at 9:05 PM Post #7,059 of 7,088
OK, thanks.

I called UPS to get an estimate and it was $270, so that's freakin ridiculous. It looks like USPS is the way to go, with Registered small package being something like $30-50 according to their website.

USPS is always the way to go.

UPS is the most expensive from them all usually. FedEx is bad as well

Feb 9, 2020 at 4:33 PM Post #7,060 of 7,088
Got a strange problem - when I try to play a song it will play but soon I move the player it will stop playing.You will also hear some strange 'click' in the player itself. I also can't resume the playing.
The line-out doesn't have this problem. So when changing the headphone to the line-out there is no problem. I have tried a different SD card and also replaced the firmware.

Is my player broken?

Feb 9, 2020 at 5:20 PM Post #7,061 of 7,088
If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say the headphone jack is faulty. Moving the device breaks a connection. This makes the player think the headphones have been unplugged. IIRC the X5 will automatically pause the music when the headphones are unplugged. The clicking you hear may be the muting relay for the headphone jack

Feb 10, 2020 at 1:47 AM Post #7,062 of 7,088
If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say the headphone jack is faulty. Moving the device breaks a connection. This makes the player think the headphones have been unplugged. IIRC the X5 will automatically pause the music when the headphones are unplugged. The clicking you hear may be the muting relay for the headphone jack

Yeah that was also my guess. Hopefully it could be repaired. Think I'm going to ask FiiO if they are still repairing these players.

Feb 10, 2020 at 10:21 AM Post #7,063 of 7,088
Or just clean the contacts (headphone plug and player socket). Have you experimented with different headphones?

Feb 10, 2020 at 10:22 AM Post #7,064 of 7,088
Or just clean the contacts (headphone plug and player socket). Have you experimented with different headphones?

Yes I have (experimented with different headphones). But I will try to clean the contacts - maybe that will solve it.

Feb 12, 2020 at 5:43 AM Post #7,065 of 7,088
It seems that I can't fix the headphone socket - the line/coax digital out is working fine. Normally I use that for my DAC/AMP (FiiO E12), so I still can use the FiiO X5-II.
But without the DAC/AMP I also can use it directly with my headphone (there is a setting to enable the volume on that output). But what do I miss when using that port? Only the in-line headphone control? I have read that it output's an unamplified signal - so EQ settings etc. are not working?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back