FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
May 9, 2015 at 11:55 PM Post #46 of 7,088
Thanks for starting this thread @x RELIC x!

I hear a U.S. Tour calling our names @Joe Bloggs
wink_face.gif

Plus 1. Tour! Tour! Tour!

May 9, 2015 at 11:59 PM Post #47 of 7,088
  Just heard back from Joe.  Fiio not ready to release full specs yet - but this should help whet the appetite a little :

1. All-new exterior design, improved build, with metal finish changed from powdered to brushed;
2. More compact and lightweight; smaller black borders around LCD;
3. All-new independent amplification stage with analogue volume control, increasing audio resolution;
4. All new digital audio architecture, utilizing dual crystal oscillators dedicated to multiples of 44.1 and 48kHz respectively (including 176.4kHz=4x44.1, 192kHz=4x48 and DSD64 and DSD128 (multiples of 44.1), handling all major sample rates without resampling artifacts and minimal jitter;
5. Supporting hardware DSD decoding;
6. Supporting CTIA-standard in-line earphone remotes (e.g. Apple, Samsung compatible earphones)
7. Breakthrough power architecture design that utilizes different system voltages for low and high gain, allowing maximum flexibility between long endurance and high driving power in the same unit.
8. All-new power management feature: auto standby mode allows player to remain in standby for weeks, ready to continue playing instantly.
9. Coulomb meter for precise battery level readouts.

There will be a preview round - not sure yet if it will follow usual Fiio format of several World tours.  If it does, I'll get a NZ and Australia one going. 

Great update, Brooko. Exciting!

May 10, 2015 at 12:08 AM Post #48 of 7,088
Sign me up for the tour thru Canada @Joe Bloggs. Will compare to the X5 and as a pure DAC or full portable. May or may not pass to the next on the list lol.

May 10, 2015 at 12:14 AM Post #49 of 7,088
Went out for some last minute Mothers Day gifts and Brooko beat me to it with the info update.

Updated the first page with the preliminary info.

May 10, 2015 at 12:25 AM Post #50 of 7,088
I'm in for a Canada tour!

May 10, 2015 at 12:30 AM Post #52 of 7,088
1. All-new exterior design, improved build, with metal finish changed from powdered to brushed;

2. More compact and lightweight; smaller black borders around LCD;

3. All-new independent amplification stage with analogue volume control, increasing audio resolution;

4. All new digital audio architecture, utilizing dual crystal oscillators dedicated to multiples of 44.1 and 48kHz respectively (including 176.4kHz=4x44.1, 192kHz=4x48 and DSD64 and DSD128 (multiples of 44.1), handling all major sample rates without resampling artifacts and minimal jitter;

5. Supporting hardware DSD decoding;

6. Supporting CTIA-standard in-line earphone remotes (e.g. Apple, Samsung compatible earphones)

7. Breakthrough power architecture design that utilizes different system voltages for low and high gain, allowing maximum flexibility between long endurance and high driving power in the same unit.

8. All-new power management feature: auto standby mode allows player to remain in standby for weeks, ready to continue playing instantly.

9. Coulomb meter for precise battery level readouts.

Bold are the highlight points for me. Looks like a solid update so far. I hope they use the same screen as it really is a good screen and would make transferring custom FW easier.

May 10, 2015 at 12:36 AM Post #53 of 7,088
571 views in just over 4 hours! Imagine if there was more info!
eek.gif

At the risk of ticking some folk off, I believe Head-Fi thrives on a certain amount of mystery. The Yggdrasil thread was over 300 pages before CANJAM 2015 : up to that point, only a handful of people had heard the prototype in a setting I would consider realistic for gathering any sort of worthwhile impressions. Extraordinary considering the wider audio press knew less than a lone Head-Fier armed with a couple of vintage DACs, a prototype and some very strong opinions.

May 10, 2015 at 12:37 AM Post #54 of 7,088
@x RELIC x can't wait to see Analogue or H.U.D. on it :)

May 10, 2015 at 12:42 AM Post #55 of 7,088

571 views in just over 4 hours! Imagine if there was more info!
eek.gif

At the risk of ticking some folk off, I believe Head-Fi thrives on a certain amount of mystery. The Yggdrasil thread was over 300 pages before CANJAM 2015 : up to that point, only a handful of people had heard the prototype in a setting I would consider realistic for gathering any sort of worthwhile impressions. Extraordinary considering the wider audio press knew less than a lone Head-Fier armed with a couple of vintage DACs, a prototype and some very strong opinions.

Quoting from the news I'm reading:

[size=20.0069999694824px]Hyped new drug 'flakka' is as addictive as bath salts, study says[/size]

I may not run naked through the streets, but c'mon it's a little exciting....

May 10, 2015 at 12:51 AM Post #57 of 7,088
May 10, 2015 at 12:53 AM Post #58 of 7,088
Headline news!

My X5 is more addictive than flakka or bath salts! X5 II might be even worse!

Lol - try Crack and bath salts 
tongue.gif

Okay @Joe Bloggs - give us a Canadian tour model! x Relic x will do a beer 'n backbacon mod!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back