FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Jun 24, 2015 at 7:05 AM Post #1,876 of 7,088
Doesn't the X5ii use the same screen as the X5?
If so, there is hope that we X5 owners will have access to a better display through a FW update.

I thought it might be the same screen but the differences are too big IMO to be adjusted through a FW update. Its not just brightness but contrast, gamma, and sharpness. It's clearly(pun intended) better. Not that the original is bad.

Jun 24, 2015 at 7:09 AM Post #1,877 of 7,088
just to check, anyone running x5ii with an amp (ie the e12a?)  not sure if there's a real need, but seems line out is fixed, and so cant get the amp pot past about 8-9am.  not noticed as much a difference in sound using the amp as i did when using with dx90 (which is a good thing), but saw earlier mention of x5+e12.    

some things i love are the instant on, and simply auto-pausing when removing line out (saves running down the battery if i forget to pause when leaving the car and throwing it in my pocket), full screen album art also good :cool:

FiiO Line Out implementations are always fixed volume. They bypass the internal amp (as they should) and therefor no volume control through Line Out with their implementation.

Jun 24, 2015 at 7:44 AM Post #1,878 of 7,088
I thought it might be the same screen but the differences are too big IMO to be adjusted through a FW update. Its not just brightness but contrast, gamma, and sharpness. It's clearly(pun intended) better. Not that the original is bad.

All those can be adjusted through firmware. It could be that gamma has been corrected to give true black. The contrast and sharpness would appear better. Brightness is the only control we are given. I think, if FiiO were to have changed the screen, it would be for superior hardware like amoled.

Jun 24, 2015 at 7:52 AM Post #1,879 of 7,088

All those can be adjusted through firmware. It could be that gamma has been corrected to give true black. The contrast and sharpness would appear better. Brightness is the only control we are given. I think, if FiiO were to have changed the screen, it would be for superior hardware like amoled.

It already is IPS, which is better than amoled in my book. Amoled screens wash out after some time. 

Also, I am pretty sure that it is FW adjustable, as they seem to still use that blackberry screen from the photos. But it might be implemented differently by hardware, so.. It is up to fiio if they are going to change it for X5 too.

Jun 24, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #1,880 of 7,088
Also, I can get an X5II after loosing 120$... It seems like this is the best deal I can get for now (considering selling my X5). I think that I will go to test the new X5II next week in avstore, to see with my own eyes how much is the new version worth this transition. 

I don't think the difference in SQ is worth losing $120 George, but YMMV...

Doesn't the X5ii use the same screen as the X5?
If so, there is hope that we X5 owners will have access to a better display through a FW update.

I think X5ii might have a different backlight than the X5 Classic. Joe Bloggs?

Jun 24, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #1,881 of 7,088
Compared X5ii DAC with Gungnir and it fair very very well.  Overall sounded just a tag flatter, but I considering the capability, portability and price.. wow.

Jun 24, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #1,882 of 7,088
I'm seriously considering buying an X5 2nd gen.

My current DAP set up is a Cowon J3 and PFE 232.
Will I notice a significant improvement in SQ over Cowon's classic J3?

I have many 24/96 FLAC vinyl rips that the J3 can't play.
Being able to listen to them on a portable device with my PFE 232s is very appealing.

Thank You!

Jun 24, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #1,883 of 7,088
I just pulled the trigger on the X5II so before long I'll be able to compare it to the X5...I plan on giving my wife the OG X5 rather than selling it. Now I need to find a Dignis leather case for the X5II. 

Jun 24, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #1,885 of 7,088
do you think we'll ever see some sport cases for the X3II/X5II? i'd love to take my X5 to the gym. i wish we didnt have to buy aftermarket stuff all the time to fulfill a need. any input from @JamesFiiO or @Joe Bloggs

Jun 24, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #1,886 of 7,088
  do you think we'll ever see some sport cases for the X3II/X5II? i'd love to take my X5 to the gym. i wish we didnt have to buy aftermarket stuff all the time to fulfill a need. any input from @JamesFiiO or @Joe Bloggs

I have found a solution for the lacking sport case, the same as for the X3 II. It works perfectly, and to my surprise I don't feel the heavier weight compared to the X3 II.

Jun 24, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #1,887 of 7,088
Here you go, my X5ii (2nd gen) review is up: http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-x5-2nd-gen-premium-hi-res-dap/reviews/13436

Jun 24, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #1,888 of 7,088
If you look around at Best Buy or Amazon you can find some zippered camera soft cases that do a great job of holding your DAP or DAP & Amp. You can attach those to your belt loop or belt and take them with you wherever you go without issue. I bought a Lowepro soft case at Best Buy that has a nice strong loop on h4 back for a belt and I use that just about every day for my X5 or X5 &E12A...I simply unzip the top of the case to get to the player and it keeps it safe. 

Jun 24, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #1,889 of 7,088

I don't want to beat a dead horse here but I don't think FW can get the X5 screen to the level of the X5 II screen. Maybe it does have a different backlight, or it's a screen revision. In my 20 year experience in the visual effects field I've seen a lot of very high end monitors and displays that all need extensive calibration and at a certain point there is only so much you can adjust to get the quality you require. If they can get the X5 screen to look as good I imagine they would have done so already. Of course this is my opinion from handling the X5 II and owning the X5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back