Fiio X3/X5 vs. Ipod 5.5G + Fiio e12
Dec 19, 2014 at 2:20 AM Post #17 of 29
bump back this topic because I just bought a new iPod 5.5... going to mod it, and pair it up with an amp.. MAYBE E12.
Deciding factor: 
1) Modifiable
2) UI!!!!
Read that the FiiO X series have terrible UI... and I'm an Apple fanboy, so yeah.

I have the Shure SE846 now, so I am excited to see the sound quality for that...

Dec 19, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #18 of 29
I am starting to lean to the position that the X3 with the current beta firmware (3.24) is a step up from the X1 and the 5.5. I have all 3 and my go to machine is moving back to the X3.

Having said that, all three are superior to most portable music players on the market today.

I find the X1 to be a tad aggressive in the high end. The 5.5 is quite balanced, but can't handle the variances in headphone impedance as well. My strong preference is to use Rockbox on the 5.5; I think it sounds meaningfully better than the stock firmware sound signature.

I do not love the UI of the FIIO, that is something I have posted about. But I think FIIO will ultimately improve that a bit.

On the other hand my 5.5 has 240gb at its disposal right now, and there is something to be said for that.

Guess I do like the Wolfson DAC sound at the end of the day.

Dec 21, 2014 at 7:05 AM Post #19 of 29
I am starting to lean to the position that the X3 with the current beta firmware (3.24) is a step up from the X1 and the 5.5. I have all 3 and my go to machine is moving back to the X3.

Having said that, all three are superior to most portable music players on the market today.

I find the X1 to be a tad aggressive in the high end. The 5.5 is quite balanced, but can't handle the variances in headphone impedance as well. My strong preference is to use Rockbox on the 5.5; I think it sounds meaningfully better than the stock firmware sound signature.

I do not love the UI of the FIIO, that is something I have posted about. But I think FIIO will ultimately improve that a bit.

On the other hand my 5.5 has 240gb at its disposal right now, and there is something to be said for that.

Nice! I'm excited for my iPod!
I'm such a Apple fanboy, and I'm glad a legendary device can still hold on it's on 8 years later... =)

Dec 21, 2014 at 7:31 AM Post #20 of 29
Hello!

I tested my FiiO X3 vs the iPod touch 5g, both together with my trusted Sennheiser HD 598.

Summary in short: There is NO difference!

I know, some folks out there won't like that, but FOR ME(!) there is no difference. I tested with Hi Res Audio files up to 24 bit and 96 kHz and MP3 (320kbps) as well.

Oh wait, there is one advantage for the X3 over the iPod: the X3 can drive almost any available headphone, the iPod cannot.

Dec 23, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #25 of 29
Oh rockbox can read it. It just down samples it. 24bit 96khz can be played. Just not at full resolution

No reason to get into the hi res debate here. I know a bunch of people normally will swoop in at this point and indignantly point out that the nyquist theorem rules

Dec 24, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #26 of 29

ahh good. I just ordered the X3 yesterday. (along with the AKG K702. :wink:)

May 2, 2015 at 8:41 AM Post #28 of 29
  Had the chance to test the fiio e12 today (not very long)

I tried some songs of various genres,
Pink Floyd - Hey You
Toto - Rosanna
Vivaldi - four seasons spring
George Ezra - Spectacular Rival
Halestorm - Love bites

And if im honest i cant say that i heard that much of a difference, if any at all. Listened to them with the cx 980 and the DT770 80Ohm (and very briefly with my Samson Media One 5a)

The only song where i heard a difference was four seasons spring. (also only a small improvement)

For the rest the only benefit was the higher volume with the dt770

Im surprised by this as i've read quite often, that a lod cable and an amp would make a significant difference with the iPod

maybe my ears are not as "developed" as i thought they are. Does it even make sense to still try the X3 if i hardly recognize any difference between the headphone out and line out + amp on my iPod?

That is no surprise the iPod Touch 5G is really good, and with normal recordings, mean no Hi-Res, the differences are little, the FiiO X3 second Generation is great soundwise, but it very restricted, no Wlan, no comparable Ui, Your iPod is amde for on the go and mostly people use in ears for that, at home you can use your big Beyer in your home system.

May 31, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #29 of 29
Guys, do not make this mistake!

I just bumped in because I really... Regret selling iPod 5.5 wholeheartedly. It's not expensive and you can still get it for cheap and for the price it just nails it. Of course X5 can still be used as it has higher fidelity DAC but its amp is just a bit too sharp and dull - iPod really is an amazing piece of hardware and whatever upgrade you make, do not think of selling the iPod cause you will certainly want to listen to it a bit later on.

I'm caught in nostalgia and searching for a new piece. :) PM me if you're selling it. But I don't recommend it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back