Fiio X3-II and headphones, what are the options?
Apr 11, 2017 at 3:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

alex5908

500+ Head-Fier
Hello everybody,
I am expecting Fiio X3-II to come and I am looking for the best budget headphones (not ear buds) for them.
For the moment I am considering Audio-Technica ATH-M50X and DT770 80 ohm Pro. Which one is better? I am a basshead to listen to Pop-Rock and blues and Techno.
What are other options?
The budget is $200 max.

Apr 12, 2017 at 12:01 AM Post #2 of 17
  I am expecting Fiio X3-II to come and I am looking for the best budget headphones (not ear buds) for them.
For the moment I am considering Audio-Technica ATH-M50X and DT770 80 ohm Pro. Which one is better? I am a basshead to listen to Pop-Rock and blues and Techno.

Double check the DT770 as there is an 80ohm Pro version made for drummers that barely has any deep bass.

What are other options?
The budget is $200 max.

Superlux HD660

Apr 12, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #3 of 17

Double check the DT770 as there is an 80ohm Pro version made for drummers that barely has any deep bass.

Superlux HD660

I have HD 668B. Are they worse?

Apr 12, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #5 of 17
Apr 13, 2017 at 5:38 AM Post #7 of 17

Nearly all of them. It's one of the 80ohm versions that doesn't, AFAIK there are two different 80ohm versions. Not sure which is which, you need to check in the DT770 thread.

Just one post in DT770 thread mentioned the word "drummer" and nobody responded to that. One opinion sometimes does not count. I'll try to read the whole thread. A lot of pages, though.

Apr 13, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #8 of 17
  Just one post in DT770 thread mentioned the word "drummer" and nobody responded to that. One opinion sometimes does not count. I'll try to read the whole thread. A lot of pages, though.

I meant check the thread by asking there what version of the DT770 doesn't have fullrange response. I don't go into that thread but I've encountered it in several other threads, including one guy who went all "YOU PEOPLE SAID THIS THING HAS A LOT OF BASS BUT IT DOESN'T ARE YOU ALL DEAF GRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!" (not verbatim obviously but that's basically the mood) and then turns out he picked up that version from Guitar Center or something (without trying it) while everybody forgot to mention that there was one version that wasn't meant for playback.

Apr 13, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #9 of 17

I meant check the thread by asking there what version of the DT770 doesn't have fullrange response. I don't go into that thread but I've encountered it in several other threads, including one guy who went all "YOU PEOPLE SAID THIS THING HAS A LOT OF BASS BUT IT DOESN'T ARE YOU ALL DEAF GRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!" (not verbatim obviously but that's basically the mood) and then turns out he picked up that version from Guitar Center or something (without trying it) while everybody forgot to mention that there was one version that wasn't meant for playback.

Thanks for the idea. I asked the question in the thread and they responded that it's DT770M (standing for monitoring) which is for drummers.

Apr 14, 2017 at 9:10 AM Post #12 of 17
Hi, I'm listening to Philips Fidelio x2 with my Fiio x3 ii. Have you thought about second hand phones I bought mine used and love them.

How can you describe them?

Apr 14, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #13 of 17
I'm a bit of a novice but I would describe them as having a nice rounded low end but not overpowering bass,mids are slightly recessed and highs sound clear with no silbilance that I can hear but then I'm middle aged so higher notes not as sharp to me! Soundstage is good and they are very comftable; these are indoors headphones.Overall I would say these make the music more involving and fun.

Apr 14, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #14 of 17
I'm a bit of a novice but I would describe them as having a nice rounded low end but not overpowering bass,mids are slightly recessed and highs sound clear with no silbilance that I can hear but then I'm middle aged so higher notes not as sharp to me! Soundstage is good and they are very comftable; these are indoors headphones.Overall I would say these make the music more involving and fun.

How much are they?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back