FiiO X1ii - Worthy Upgrade?
Jan 17, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #16 of 20
So far so good... arrived, mint condition, accessories not opened at all. Saved about $105CAD.

Took a while to get it setup, had to download software and update firmware. Formatted the SanDisk Ultra 64GB microSDXC UHS-I card I bought for it so can save all my music to it. Though, when copied over and update the library, it says around 5,000 instead of 7,000... I'll need to look into that.

Compared to my Sony Walkman, it sounds a bit flat, lacking a bit of punch. I had that problem though when I bought my new headhones and just needed to adjust the EQ a bit, suspect be the same deal.

2 let downs so far. The Sony had a button/circle in the middle, up/down/left/right. When viewing all tracks, up/down went song by song, but left/right would skip to the next letter in the alphabet, so if I wanted to listed to something under "D" I just clicked the right button 3x and I'm at the start of "D"... I don't see an option for that on the FiiO X3ii. I want to go to "D" I turn the wheel 80x. Hoping there is an option I haven't found yet.

2nd is that it doesn't seem to use star-ratings like Media Monkey does (it's what I use on my PC). Sony didn't either, but Sony is less advanced and 6-7yrs old. I see that I can favourite tracks which is good, but then goes back to my first issue. If I go to the favourites playlist and I have 500 tracks, I can't skip through very quickly.

Still need to play with it a bit though.

Jan 17, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #17 of 20

"FiiO X1ii - Worthy Upgrade?"

I've recently just "upgraded".  I wanted something a little smaller.

The other main differences  of the x1 ii ,like the touch screen scroll wheel don't help much as far as managing/playing/finding music is concerned.

Upgrade if you want a  smaller player and bluetooth.

In my experience the x1 ii's firmware is more buggy than the x1's. The screen freezer’s ,though it's easily remedied by holding down the power button - off . Then switching back on.

Jan 17, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #18 of 20

"FiiO X1ii - Worthy Upgrade?"

I've recently just "upgraded".  I wanted something a little smaller.

The other main differences  of the x1 ii ,like the touch screen scroll wheel don't help much as far as managing/playing/finding music is concerned.

Upgrade if you want a  smaller player and bluetooth.

In my experience the x1 ii's firmware is more buggy than the x1's. The screen freezer’s ,though it's easily remedied by holding down the power button - off . Then switching back on.

A bit late... as per the last couple of posts, I already bought one. :)

Jan 22, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #20 of 20
Well, after all that debate and a week of use, the FiiO X3ii is back up for sale on eBay.

I didn't like the interface too much. Took too long skipping through long lists. My Sony, I could click and hold down and it would run through, which is much preferred over constantly rotating the wheel over-and-over-and-over... or I could click left/right and jump to the next letter in the alphabet.

When I hit the last song in a folder, it hung. Played... but I couldn't stop it, pause it, fast forward, rewind... basically had to hold the power off button 15sec until it finally shut down.

Sound wise, definitely a wider sound stage than my Sony, but lacked a bit of the punch my Sony had. I don't have treble or bass jacked way up, but when either was present in a song, it came out nicely on the Sony. The EQ on the Sony though was much simpler, 5-bands and small increments. I could probably get better sound on the FiiO (well sounding how I wanted at least) if I played with it more but after a while of fiddling with it I gave up.

I will also say that the difference between it and the old Sony, wasn't quite as much as I expected. I have excellent hearing. I can hear some things that my friends who are audio engineers, can't. When I upgraded my headphones, I was impressed at how much better they were over my old ones. Night and day. I was expecting something similar with the DAC but, honestly, wasn't enough of a difference (to me) to warrant the 300% price increase over my old Sony.

It seems like a well made unit, and the audio was clear and was nice to play my FLAC files without converting. But... just wasn't a fan of the GUI, and the wheel for me was horrible. I wish that the Sony HiRes player wasn't so expensive, but, I'm going back to my old Sony for now, and when it dies I'll buy another Sony. 

I do thank all the posters for their help/feedback... but I think the FiiO just for me. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back