[FiiO UTWS5] True Wireless Bluetooth Earhooks as Usual,Coupled with Independent AK4332 DAC
Nov 18, 2021 at 10:25 AM Post #286 of 2,559
Well trying it involves buying in now that I am no longer in China but in France...

Well, maybe not immediately but I am sure someone will bring UTWS5 to the EU market.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2021 at 6:21 PM Post #287 of 2,559
Hi everyone, have 2 questions, hope they are not too silly:

1) Is anyone using UWTS5 with an iPhone? My understanding that it doesn't take advantage of the latest/best bluetooth codecs.
Wondering if it works well and if it provides sufficient upside (subjective, I know...) to move away from AirPods Pro for on-the-go...
Planning to pair the UWTS5 with either JVC FDX1 or IER-Z1R. Anyone with experience with these pairings by the way?

2) I saw a photo of the UWTS5 attached to ATH headphones. Has anyone else done/tried this, does it actually work well?
I have a pair of MDR-Z1R (3.5mm connectors) and a 3.5mm to mmcx connector, and curious if I could turn them into wireless cans, or the UWTS5 will be sticking out on my cheeks too much.:gs1000smile:

Thanks in advance!

Nov 19, 2021 at 4:56 AM Post #288 of 2,559
Due to individual preferences, you could read the professional reviews and comparisons, as well as try out by yourself. But it seems that the reviewers in China choose to try UTWS5 with the FD7 most.

'There is no difference in the tuning style when using FiiO UTWS5 to push FD7 directly compared to the flagship player, it does not bring some negative sound coloration to the headphones, it sounds very natural. Although FiiO UTWS5 + FiiO FD7 such a configuration in the sound quality will be slightly inferior, but the low-frequency volume and dive are more satisfactory, and can also have a good sense of atmosphere; mid range performance is very spacious, listening to some female voices can feel the sweet warmth of the mid range, the sound is still relatively catchy; this combination configuration of high-frequency performance will be slightly conservative, the actual listening experience can also give I feel a soft and spacious feeling, and does not seem very dark, although the high-frequency performance will be weaker, but also will not become the shortcomings of this product. Overall, the performance of the three frequencies, the sound field, the details and the sense of junction of this configuration are all relatively satisfactory, and combined with the price of the FiiO UTWS5, I seem to have nothing to criticize.

---From ZOL

Listening to the FD7 with UTWS5, the feeling is quite good, loudness, levels, dynamics are maintained at a relatively high level

---From 大person

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)'

Just for your reference.

Best regards
Hello Fiio team, any insight on how to source this in France / Europe?

Cheers,
Michael

Nov 19, 2021 at 5:50 AM Post #289 of 2,559
Hi everyone, have 2 questions, hope they are not too silly:

1) Is anyone using UWTS5 with an iPhone? My understanding that it doesn't take advantage of the latest/best bluetooth codecs.
Wondering if it works well and if it provides sufficient upside (subjective, I know...) to move away from AirPods Pro for on-the-go...
Planning to pair the UWTS5 with either JVC FDX1 or IER-Z1R. Anyone with experience with these pairings by the way?

2) I saw a photo of the UWTS5 attached to ATH headphones. Has anyone else done/tried this, does it actually work well?
I have a pair of MDR-Z1R (3.5mm connectors) and a 3.5mm to mmcx connector, and curious if I could turn them into wireless cans, or the UWTS5 will be sticking out on my cheeks too much.:gs1000smile:

Thanks in advance!
2) I am the one who did it. had to push the volume up more than usual compared to in ears UE-TF10 but didnt had to max out volume.

i guess the combination of WP900 being easy to drive and this particular fiio utws5 having a built in discrete amp from DAC helps.

not sure abt ur cans specs

Nov 19, 2021 at 7:55 PM Post #290 of 2,559
Just got the UTWS3 tonight off Amazon and love them bu then I saw the UTWS5 option in the app. I didn’t know there was a new model!

I have an iPhone 12 so AAC only. Would the UTWS5s see enough improvement in quality for the extra money? I use FH3s.

I use the FH3s wired on stage for live performance (I’m a bass player). Would the UTWS5’s input lag be low enough to allow a musician to go wireless?

Nov 19, 2021 at 9:02 PM Post #291 of 2,559

On a whim, I plugged the BT audio adapter into my Sony Xperia X5 with an USB-A-to-Type-C adapter and it WORKS - of course it really doesn't add much to my setup since my X5 already has aptx Adaptive. But this means you can do the same to add aptx Adaptive support to any smartphone that doesn't have aptx Adptive. as long as it supports audio dongle (*the smartphone will recognize it as a normal USB audio dongle). As I recall, there is a Type-C version of this adapter that should fit this role nicely.
a lightning version would be gold! get rid of the AAC and get the full Aptx Adaptive. :)

Maybe the apple camera adaptor with this plugged to it.:thinking:

Anyone here have the Sennheiser IE900 and the UTWS3/5 to check how it fits?

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2021 at 9:42 PM Post #292 of 2,559
PSX_20211120_102552.jpg

UTWS5 + Yincrow RW-3000

Nov 20, 2021 at 6:44 AM Post #294 of 2,559
I use the FH3s wired on stage for live performance (I’m a bass player). Would the UTWS5’s input lag be low enough to allow a musician to go wireless?

Looks like I found my own answer. Apaptive AptX is 80ms latency. Most musicians detect latency at 10ms.

Nov 20, 2021 at 7:30 AM Post #295 of 2,559
Looks like I found my own answer. Apaptive AptX is 80ms latency. Most musicians detect latency at 10ms.
Even the best latency BT codec (*aptx LL) has about 40ms. Normal SBC is around 200ms. Long story short, if latency is critical, better not use Bluetooth.

Nov 20, 2021 at 9:23 AM Post #296 of 2,559
So are the 5’s a noticeable improvement over the 3’s for Apple users?

Nov 21, 2021 at 11:01 PM Post #298 of 2,559
Looks like I'm picking up the UTSW5 after having bought the UTSW3's just a month or so ago, so I think this is some prime Head-fi behaviour :)

(the other pair will go to the s/o)

Anyhoo, will be using with my M15 and S21, so hoping for a bit more quality, but even it's minor that's not so bad. What I'm really hoping is that the mic implementation for outdoor phone calls has gone from "unusable garbage that requires one to disable calls on bluetooth and take out headphones when it rings" to "mildly acceptable", but I'm not holding breath.

Meanwhile, I'd adore it if there was a way for them to charge with the lid up - my 846's have sensaphonic sleeves, and given how huge they are the IEMs obviously don't fit in and I have to remove them every time, which isn't so wonderful.

Finally, if we're looking for additions, I wonder if the boffins from Fiio would change certain battery warnings to time remaining - yes, the app does the trick, but it'd be a better way of knowing whether you can make it through that film during your flight, say, without having to recharge

Nov 22, 2021 at 1:03 AM Post #299 of 2,559
Hi, i received my UTWS5 MMCX.
I adapted them with angled adapters to fit my Moondrop Variations 2pin 0.78.
Everything looks sturdy and stilish, Variations fitting perfectly inside.

Point is, looks like i can only connect via AptX (despite on the manual, last page, it is also written AptX HD…).

Even if i change to AptX adaptive under developers in my Android 9 New Hiby R6 2020 (which the TWS it is advertised with) it does not change anything, keeping Aptx and outputting to 16 bit upsampled 48hz (songs tested are FLAC 16bit, 44.1hz).

My files are all Flac (16/24bit, 44.1hz and above), both played via Poweramp and Hiby music.

I tried also via Fiio control, but no option there (beside i rised the volume since capped very low).

@FiiO could you help me please?

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2021 at 3:07 AM Post #300 of 2,559
Even if i change to AptX adaptive under developers in my Android 9 New Hiby R6 2020 (which the TWS it is advertised with) it does not change anything, keeping Aptx and outputting to 16 bit upsampled 48hz (songs tested are FLAC 16bit, 44.1hz).
Are you sure R6 2020 does support aptx Adaptive? I read through Hiby R6 2020 web page and I didn't see Hiby mentioning the codec. You might also want to confirm with Hiby as well.

Also want to add that, as mentioned before, aptx Adaptive 24/96 is only supported on Qualcomm Snapdragon 888 devices. Other devices that supports aptx Adaptive only gets 24/48.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back