FIIO Scroll Wheel
Jun 26, 2015 at 3:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

oldmate

1000+ Head-Fier
Fellow Headfier's,

Let me 1st say this is not a witch hunt. Just a search for honest answers with regard to a hot topic of late, the famous or infamous Fiio Scroll Wheel.

One rule and that is to be if you can entirely honest and dismiss any bias. I say this because I myself love their products and what they have been able to achieve for very little investment on our behalf.

So, in you honest opinion are you 100% satisfied with the operation and functionality of the Fiio implementation of the scroll wheel into it's DAP's.

I will not vote as I may be bias!!

Jun 26, 2015 at 7:36 AM Post #2 of 30
I have owned a Fiio X3ii for just under a month.  I have had no issues at all with the scroll wheel, I find its use intuitive and it makes navigating through folders/songs a breeze.  When I was reading reviews etc. of Fiio prior to buying,  I came across the various negative views on the scroll wheel and was a bit concerned, however I am finding difficult to understand why people where/are having issues.  100% satisfied

Jun 26, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #4 of 30
Very happy with my X5 and x5ii's tour unit wheel. What I don't like is their menus going round and round and not stopping at either end. But no one else seems to dislike this.

Jun 26, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #5 of 30
Very happy with my X5 and x5ii's tour unit wheel. What I don't like is their menus going round and round and not stopping at either end. But no one else seems to dislike this.

Maybe because i like to rotate one more to get to the other side of the menu to get there faster?
biggrin.gif

It would be great either way for me, but not stopping made more sense when the menu was circular, on X5II makes less visual sense... 

Jun 26, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #6 of 30
  Maybe because i like to rotate one more to get to the other side of the menu to get there faster?
biggrin.gif

It would be great either way for me, but not stopping made more sense when the menu was circular, on X5II makes less visual sense... 

Artists I'd like to start with 'Anderson, Wakeman, Brufield &Howe' and end with 'ZZ Top'!    I only have about thirty on at a time.

Jun 28, 2015 at 1:09 AM Post #7 of 30
Come on people - this poll is effectively useless unless we get at least 200+ voters. Only then will the stats become meaningful and useful to take to FIIO.

Really want FIIO to improve the engineering and implementation of this wheel and unless we get enough feedback then this will never be.

Jul 4, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #8 of 30
I have an X1 which I keep in my work vehicle.  I've been on the search for a DAP for use outside of work (something more upscale), but I took all the FiiO DAPs out of the running because of the scroll wheel. 

I have nothing against scroll wheels, but 1 "click" on the wheel should = 1 step of movement.  With the current implementation of the wheel (at least on the X1) sometimes 1 click = 1 step, sometimes 3 clicks = 1 step, sometimes 2 clilcks = -1 step, etc etc.  It drives me mad.

Sep 26, 2015 at 8:38 PM Post #9 of 30
The scroll wheel is a big mistake. I understand that they want to make it look like an iPod, but I would much rather want buttons. The scroll wheel on the X3ii is the only thing that prevents an all metal finish. The unit is really cool, but as soon as the scroll wheel is touched/operated the spell is broken. A shame really.

Sep 26, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #10 of 30
  Come on people - this poll is effectively useless unless we get at least 200+ voters. Only then will the stats become meaningful and useful to take to FIIO.

Really want FIIO to improve the engineering and implementation of this wheel and unless we get enough feedback then this will never be.

it is meanless cause it is not because we have not saw the feedback in head-fi . below is the fact. 

1, the RMA is reasonable , in fact, we just announce that we start to provide 2 years warranty in China which is the first brand in China mainland. in other countries, it depended on LAW and the distributors. so if there are a lost of problem that will be a big problem to us.

2, we have used the best wheel from ALPS Japan. and depended on our analysis. most wheel issues is cause by the wheel itself. but not the design, implement and others, means there will have few customers meet the problem.  and the only way to solve this problem is

stop the production of all our DAPs and remove the wheel.

3, By now, we have sold out more than 300,000 pcs X series, consider the quantity is quite big so it is not strange that there are some people have the same issues even there are only 1% units  have problem.

the best way only left is full touch screen ( the touch wheel has patent issue with Apple ), but the touch screen is not a final solution cause quality issues comes with everything and I have couples phones have problem in touch features includes Samsung.   

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Sep 26, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #11 of 30

it is meanless cause it is not because we have not saw the feedback in head-fi . below is the fact. 

1, the RMA is reasonable , in fact, we just announce that we start to provide 2 years warranty in China which is the first brand in China mainland. in other countries, it depended on LAW and the distributors. so if there are a lost of problem that will be a big problem to us.

2, we have used the best wheel from ALPS Japan. and depended on our analysis. most wheel issues is cause by the wheel itself. but not the design, implement and others, means there will have few customers meet the problem.  and the only way to solve this problem is

stop the production of all our DAPs and remove the wheel.

3, By now, we have sold out more than 300,000 pcs X series, consider the quantity is quite big so it is not strange that there are some people have the same issues even there are only 1% units  have problem.

the best way only left is full touch screen ( the touch wheel has patent issue with Apple ), but the touch screen is not a final solution cause quality issues comes with everything and I have couples phones have problem in touch features includes Samsung.   

Well that may very well be the case but the wheel was enough for me to rule out both the X3ii and X5ii. 

It's all academic now however as having gone down the smart phone/oppo HA-2 route I'm afraid at least for me and YMMV, this is just my opinion and how I feel, I can't see myself buying another mid-fi dap for my serious listening purposes.

Sep 27, 2015 at 6:26 AM Post #12 of 30
@JamesFiiO and all other head-fiers
I just heard about this thread in de X3 II thread and wanted to let you know my opinion.

First of all I really like the X3 II which I bought directly from FiiO with the X3 owners discount. Thanks for that possibility.
The device is well made and sounds very good to me. But there is one thing I would want to be better... the scroll wheel indeed. Im glad you sourced the best scroll wheels available but why is it that the notches/clicking of the wheel dont line up with the GUI of the DAP?
Sometimes I have no problems with it and sometimes it just feels wrong. When I want to scroll one line in the menu I expect this to be the same as one click/notch from the scroll wheel. This is not always the case.
Could be that this is a manufacturing defect, calculated tolerance or that it is by design. For me that is the only 'issue' there is.
Therefore I voted for "Could do with improvement".

Sep 27, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #14 of 30
@Oldmate
so if you are happy using a phone for your listening pleasure, more power for you. But for you to say that the "DAP"is dead is a bit off and presumious of you. As for your rig it was old news the moment you bought it, so good luck with that. Concerning the wheel it was good enough for all the Appleheads over the years. I personally like it,while it's not perfect it works for me

Sep 27, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #15 of 30
  Well that may very well be the case but the wheel was enough for me to rule out both the X3ii and X5ii. 

It's all academic now however as having gone down the smart phone/oppo HA-2 route and having the full android experience not to mention the gloriously fast and beautiful UI of Poweramp and UAPPro plus coupled with a fast quad core CPU phone and Sabre sound of the oppo I'm afraid as far as I'm concerned dedicated daps are yesterdays news and tech.

Why start this thread in the first place if you don't own or even want a Fiio DAP and you feel DAPs are obsolete to begin with? I agree with pewterlocks...it is a bit presumptuous of you to say DAPs are obsolete especially with all the new DAPs we're seeing from Chinese and Korean companies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back