FiiO Q5, Flagship DAC/Amp, an Dual DAC, USB/Optical/Coaxial/Line in, share the same amp module with X7.
Mar 31, 2018 at 12:13 PM Post #1,621 of 3,173
Any idea about a better one?
Nope. I just use bluetooth.
I use the LGV20 with an USB C Ebay cable for DSD music. I dropped the apple phone for DSD purposes.
I use a cheapy Amazon USB C cable for DSD playing through PC. The sound just sounds "weird" playing through the supplied apple cable. The other cheapy cables don't effect my music like the fiio cable does. Could be "defective" .

Mar 31, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #1,622 of 3,173
I just made an experiment. I took Apple camera connection kit and using just a good usb-to microusb cable connected to the Q5 - sounds good as it should.

Mar 31, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #1,625 of 3,173
The package just delivered. Build quality seems very good. I am impressed. Time to listen.

IMG_6708.JPG

Mar 31, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #1,626 of 3,173
Hi guys,
Lots of great advice for ios cables!

Can anyone recommend a cheap micro use b to micro use b otg cable I can use for my android phone. I live in Australia so must ship overseas.

Is it true I need an otg cable to utilise Uapp between android and Q5?

Thanks for your help

Mar 31, 2018 at 4:20 PM Post #1,627 of 3,173
I spent a few hours listening to q5. It looks a definite step up from Oppo HA-2 which I owned. It is small enough to put it my pocket. The connection with my IPhone 7 plus and Macbook pro is seamless. The bluetooth connection is fully functional and strong, and I haven't felt any sonic degradation.

I also did some A/B to see how much it can hold against my desktop setup (Hugo + MCTH). I use Apple music as a streaming service. Overall, I still prefer sound coming from my full desktop setup, but the Q5 is not too far below.

1. Fiio vs Hugo as a standalone dac. Both of them are connected to MCTH.
Hugo has a cleaner sound and better imaging abilities. Also, it retains more treble details. The Q5 is enjoyable on its own way. Both of them are pretty good overall.
2. Fiio vs Hugo + MCTH.
MCTH opens up soundstage further. Better dynamics+imaging. The desktop setup seems to be better in every aspect. As expected, the difference is larger compared to the previous one.

Overall, I am pretty happy with my Q5. It satisfies my expectation as a portable device. Also, an amp power is better than I thought. It can drive my ether c flow at 12 o'clock (unbalanced), and I rarely go over it.
I think this product can benefit people particularly who wish to wander around with their headphones.

Mar 31, 2018 at 6:20 PM Post #1,628 of 3,173
Still wondering about the other amp modules. Do you think it would be worth it to get the Q5 with the AM5? Or maybe the AM2A?

I guess it's hard to say without comparing them directly. I like the idea of the AM5 because it has more power and maybe could approach the sound/power of a desktop amp. But then we're talking $450 to spend...at that point it's approaching the Mojo.

Mar 31, 2018 at 11:54 PM Post #1,629 of 3,173
Still wondering about the other amp modules. Do you think it would be worth it to get the Q5 with the AM5? Or maybe the AM2A?

I guess it's hard to say without comparing them directly. I like the idea of the AM5 because it has more power and maybe could approach the sound/power of a desktop amp. But then we're talking $450 to spend...at that point it's approaching the Mojo.
Then again it's kinda like having .the mojo and the poly in 1package

Apr 1, 2018 at 8:57 AM Post #1,633 of 3,173
So, received my Q5 today, and running my AK T8ie mkII via balanced sounds great (via Bluetooth to my S9+), however - (and it's probably because I'm on iOS beta programme), when connecting to my iPhone X with the included cable, the Q5 connects, and I can play music, which is great, but - the FiiO controller app doesn't work (says connect cable)…

Is there another way to adjust the filters and time out timer, or - am I a bit high and dry?

Apr 1, 2018 at 9:09 AM Post #1,634 of 3,173
Why? RM1 controls the transport - just pair it with your source (like your phone) and use it. :D
Well, the only function I would control directly is Volume. It is clear that you can not control the rest since this is on the transport side.)
The RM1 controls the transport on Android and iOS only. And you can not control Volume anyway.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2018 at 11:29 AM Post #1,635 of 3,173
I can tell straight away that the Q5 marries oh so well with the AK T8ie mkII balanced...

Not very often I admit to being wrong, however for the past couple of weeks I've been very happy with the T8s straight out of the Galaxy S9+, and came into this a bit cynically, merely wanting to test the balanced cable, well, very happy that I did...

Will relay to others, despite the naysayers saying that AptX HD should have been implemented, that even standards AptX sounds sublime, and far exceeds my misconceived idea of Bluetooth audio quality.

Glad that I chose the Q5 rather than the Q1mkII that I was originally looking at, money well spent.

Thank you FiiO!

(Hopefully an updated controller app will fix my issues with playing with the filters!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back