FiiO Q5, Flagship DAC/Amp, an Dual DAC, USB/Optical/Coaxial/Line in, share the same amp module with X7.
Sep 10, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #241 of 3,173
Sure, but it would be expensive and inherently large.

If I'm not mistaken, don't some of HiFiMan's DAP's use R-2R DAC's in them?

Sep 10, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #242 of 3,173
Sure, but it would be expensive and inherently large.

Not really that big
wink.gif

Review: http://www.headfonia.com/tento-porta-dac-1866-all-your-bases/

Sep 10, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #244 of 3,173
If I'm not mistaken, don't some of HiFiMan's DAP's use R-2R DAC's in them?
Not really that big:wink:

I was thinking of the HiFiMan HM801 and some others that are thicker. The HM602 and 601LE are some other options of HiFiMan DAPs that use R-2R.

Looking at the functionality with the amp modules being interchangeable with the X7 it may not fit within FiiO's design principle for the unit. However, I'm a HUGE convert to R-2R so if they can implement the DAC properly within the desired design while maintaining desired battery life I wish them all the luck. I know I'd grab one immediately.

Sep 10, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #245 of 3,173
I was thinking of the HiFiMan HM801 and some others that are thicker. The HM602 and 601LE are some other options of HiFiMan DAPs that use R-2R.

Looking at the functionality with the amp modules being interchangeable with the X7 it may not fit within FiiO's design principle for the unit. However, I'm a HUGE convert to R-2R so if they can implement the DAC properly (you need two DAC chips for stereo) within the desired design while maintaining desired battery life I wish them all the luck. I know I'd grab one immediately.

Yeah see everybody says that R-2R sounds way more natural.  But I know that it also tends to be more expensive.  I'm kind of wondering if there's any DAC out there for under $400 or 450 which uses R-2R, takes USB input, and performs really well.

Sep 10, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #246 of 3,173
Looking at the functionality with the amp modules being interchangeable with the X7 it may not fit within FiiO's design principle for the unit. However, I'm a HUGE convert to R-2R so if they can implement the DAC properly (you need two DAC chips for stereo) within the desired design while maintaining desired battery life I wish them all the luck. I know I'd grab one immediately.

One chip will be enough as long as the implementation is pretty good; will be ok with even 6 hours of battery life. But I highly doubt there will be a chance with r-2r interchangeable module
Unfortunately, today no one uses r-2r technology anymore for producing portable gear

Sep 10, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #247 of 3,173
Yeah see everybody says that R-2R sounds way more natural.  But I know that it also tends to be more expensive.  I'm kind of wondering if there's any DAC out there for under $400 or 450 which uses R-2R, takes USB input, and performs really well.

http://penonaudio.com/music-mp3-players/Portable/HiFiMAN-HM601LE

http://penonaudio.com/music-mp3-players/Portable/HiFiMAN-HM603s

Sep 10, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #248 of 3,173
One chip will be enough as long as the implementation is pretty good; will be ok with even 6 hours of battery life. But I highly doubt there will be a chance with r-2r interchangeable module
Unfortunately, today no one uses r-2r technology anymore for producing portable gear

D'oh. I edited my post.

FiiO usually shoots for around 10 hours battery life. It all depends on what the company wants to market.

Sep 10, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #249 of 3,173
I was only thinking of the PCM1704UK, and not considered others like the Phillips TDA1543. D'oh. I edited my post.

FiiO usually shoots for around 10 hours battery life. It all depends on what the company wants to market.

Tento uses single AD1866
wink.gif

Of course, but consumers might affect the process. After all, everything is done in order to satisfy our demands

Yeah see everybody says that R-2R sounds way more natural. 

I can tell for sure that when r-2r is done properly - it's an unbelievably musical thing

Sep 10, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #250 of 3,173
Tento uses single AD1866:wink:
Of course, but consumers might affect the process. After all, everything is done in order to satisfy our demands

I can tell for sure that when r-2r is done properly - it's an unbelievably musical thing

Just read up on the Tento. What a very cool unit. Granted it's only 16bit but I wouldn't put much stock in that given the implementation looks solid. I agree that if FiiO could properly implement a r-2r DAC while being able to use the amp modules for X7 they'd have one very sweet unit.

Sep 10, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #251 of 3,173
Just read up on the Tento. What a very cool unit. Granted it's only 16bit but I wouldn't put much stock in that given the implementation looks solid. I agree that if FiiO could properly implement a r-2r DAC while being able to use the amp modules for X7 they'd have one very sweet unit.

If you're that into the audio-science I'm sure you know that 16-bit vs. 24-bit doesn't matter anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back