FIIO Q15 DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Feb 22, 2024 at 4:29 AM Post #526 of 794
Dear friend,

The Q15 has Bluetooth and XMOS firmwares. The Bluetooth firmware could be updated via the FiiO Control app. And there is no update for Bluetooth firmware currently, so the app says "already on the latest firmware". The APP could not detect and update the XMOS firmware.
If you would like to update the XMOS firmware, you could update via the Windows computer. Firmware download link: https://forum.fiio.com/note/showNoteContent.do?id=202311221710377480434&tid=77

Best regards
That is very helpful, thank you for explaining. Are there no plans to allow XMOS firmware updates via the IOS App? OTA (over-the-air like for the BT7) updates should be pretty standard this day and age.

Feb 22, 2024 at 5:11 AM Post #527 of 794
As I noticed in this thread, FiiO after releasing new gear, as usual treats all problems and malfunctions like beta-testing input:dt880smile:

Planning to buy this little thing but at this moment I'm waiting for my turn in queue which formed in my hi-fi/audio community. The most I'm interested in is whether Q15 is somewhat better than K7 in terms of sound. In portability for sure but have anyone tried to put these two for comparison? I would be grateful for any opinions. At this time I'm using FT5s as main headphones and Moondrop's KATO with Letshouer S12 as daily IEMs.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2024 at 11:07 AM Post #528 of 794
I am new in listener. Fiio q15 is my first dac amp.It good for me and little bit confuse about firmware update. When i use out for the box (no update) has problem usb connect and sound error like circuit shock for volume open max on all device connect to q15.and cannot use peq mode by usb.

When I update fw 1.88 all problem are gone. And termal look like came to normal. cooler than before. Today no problem good sound to me.

When connect to usb line it only pcm 44-48K. How can I change to higher sound output? I like use youtube and spotify.please recomment i very newbie.
Hi, on you computer go to sound panel configuration => your Fiio Q15 should appear , click on it, then click on properties button => in the new window go to Advanced properties (or something with advanced) tab here you select the bitrate, you can check in the exclusive mode the two lines and in signal enhancement you can check the line too. Some traduction might not be totaly right as I work on a french windows.

Feb 24, 2024 at 10:16 PM Post #529 of 794
Decided to return my Q15 after further listening. Although extremely capable, I think with speed/details particularly, I had trouble getting over the timbre. I think the high frequencuse especially may have had a sheen that was not ideal. It did seem to pair especially well with some planers drivers I tried but I also wanted to use on my dynamic driver headphones. I found another portable amp/dac deeply discounted and at the same price that I believe will be more analog.

Feb 25, 2024 at 3:01 AM Post #530 of 794
If one looks for the most analog sound, try the Super Slow Roll-off DAC filter, it attenuates high frequencies the most and has the best impulse response from phisical perspective. It was meant to emulate the sound of old R2R NOS DACs, known for being analog sounding.

I personally think the opamps used in the amplifier section have more immediate impact on the sound profile, but not as easily changeable. Here are some links about different delta-sigma DAC filters with pictures and descriptions: link 1, link 2.

Feb 25, 2024 at 6:43 AM Post #531 of 794
Hi, on you computer go to sound panel configuration => your Fiio Q15 should appear , click on it, then click on properties button => in the new window go to Advanced properties (or something with advanced) tab here you select the bitrate, you can check in the exclusive mode the two lines and in signal enhancement you can check the line too. Some traduction might not be totaly right as I work on a french windows.
Thank you..now i open pcm 384k 32bit on so gooood.

Feb 25, 2024 at 12:42 PM Post #532 of 794
If one looks for the most analog sound, try the Super Slow Roll-off DAC filter, it attenuates high frequencies the most and has the best impulse response from phisical perspective. It was meant to emulate the sound of old R2R NOS DACs, known for being analog sounding.

I personally think the opamps used in the amplifier section have more immediate impact on the sound profile, but not as easily changeable. Here are some links about different delta-sigma DAC filters with pictures and descriptions: link 1, link 2.
Thanks! From the filters I toggled through I didn’t get the impression I would get what I ultimately needed sound wise, but was curious about the filter descriptions. I had assumed something else was necessary for better sound, perhaps the opamps as you mentioned, and/or other internal components. For example, my ifi idsd signature finale although not as technically competent, or perhaps more specifically incisive, has much better timbre while also using standard dac chips. Not even sure I got around to trying the super slow rolloff dac filter unfortunately.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2024 at 6:43 AM Post #534 of 794
Decided to return my Q15 after further listening. Although extremely capable, I think with speed/details particularly, I had trouble getting over the timbre. I think the high frequencuse especially may have had a sheen that was not ideal. It did seem to pair especially well with some planers drivers I tried but I also wanted to use on my dynamic driver headphones. I found another portable amp/dac deeply discounted and at the same price that I believe will be more analog.
would you mind telling, which amp you found that might be a better fit?

Feb 27, 2024 at 3:42 PM Post #536 of 794
Had the Q15 for a couple of days now and sounds great.

I have a question about the MQA option in the menu.
With MQA on the audio seems much louder on usb to an android device. With MQA off it's much quieter with both times it set to super high gain.

My question is, which one is the correct level of volume / gain?

Feb 27, 2024 at 3:49 PM Post #537 of 794
Had the Q15 for a couple of days now and sounds great.

I have a question about the MQA option in the menu.
With MQA on the audio seems much louder on usb to an android device. With MQA off it's much quieter with both times it set to super high gain.

My question is, which one is the correct level of volume / gain?
The one with MQA on is the correct level.

The reason it's quiter with MQA off is because PEQ is engaged (and has some default negative preamp value). Try to click on "Bypass" option. If it does not increase volume, select some other profile and then select "Bypass" again.
When you turn on MQA it disables PEQ, so it's always "Bypass"ed.

There is a bug where PEQ seems to turn on by itself when e.g. you change from BT to USB input, even if "Bypass" PEQ option is selected.

Feb 27, 2024 at 3:53 PM Post #538 of 794
The one with MQA on is the correct level.

The reason it's quiter with MQA off is because PEQ is engaged (and has some default negative preamp value). Try to click on "Bypass" option. If it does not increase volume, select some other profile and then select "Bypass" again.
When you turn on MQA it disables PEQ, so it's always "Bypass"ed.

There is a bug where PEQ seems to turn on by itself when e.g. you change from BT to USB input, even if "Bypass" PEQ option is selected.
That answered all my questions and more. Thank you

Feb 27, 2024 at 10:44 PM Post #540 of 794
@FiiO It would be great to revert the scrolling direction when the screen is rotated by 270°.
Dear friend,

Hi, sorry that the Q15 does not have gravity induction so it may not be able to revert the direction automatically. You could set in the menu manually instead.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back