FIIO Q15 DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Feb 18, 2024 at 11:00 AM Post #511 of 809
thats an interesting choice , those burr brown dac chips that ifi uses are no good dont measure well and fairly dated at this point. the gryphon seems less powerful and connectivity wise they are fairly comparable. there are other choices in this price range from xduoo , shanling but if it works for you then great

The dac implementation on the gryphon is very nice and it can easily compete with the Q15, and sound even more special in a more analogue, relaxed and bloomy way - musical is the word, and when I pay a good few $, I'd like to hear more special sauce in the sound sig. The Q15 is also good in its own way, and with hard to drive warmish IEMs it controls them better. The Gryphon amplification can be improved, but it's dac section is very musical, more so than 70% of DACs both desktop and portable in it's price range.. but, no EQ!

Feb 18, 2024 at 12:00 PM Post #512 of 809
The dac implementation on the gryphon is very nice and it can easily compete with the Q15, and sound even more special in a more analogue, relaxed and bloomy way - musical is the word, and when I pay a good few $, I'd like to hear more special sauce in the sound sig. The Q15 is also good in its own way, and with hard to drive warmish IEMs it controls them better. The Gryphon amplification can be improved, but it's dac section is very musical, more so than 70% of DACs both desktop and portable in it's price range.. but, no EQ!
Sure . I think a dac should be as neutral as possible with minimum impedance highest sinad basically top measurements and let the amp color the sound (or not) . Obviously that’s not ifi’s approach in fact oftentimes they like to mislead customers with their specs (thinking about the Diablo 2 amp values) but that’s off-topic. But I feel like there are tons of choices in the $500 ish price range to meet to most needs no need to compromise

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2024 at 12:02 PM Post #513 of 809
I found the Gryphon to be much more musical. And relaxing is a good word to describe it. Listening to some classical was much better to my ears. I could really sense
bow to string, and the wind of the woodwinds. I also found the Q15 to be a bit harsh at times, listening to rock. I use Steely Dan's Two Against Nature to compare setups, amps, speakers, headphones, DAC's etc. The Gryphon picks up more of what I call "hidden" percussion. Especially with cymbals. Fagan's vocals are much more alive.
I much prefer how the Gryphon handles the low end, and when a song needs a bit more thump, the xBass feature works wonderfully, boosting bass, without straying
out of its lane.

As far as the Burr Brown goes, its sounds good to me. I dislike "clinical" sounding DAC's and amps. The Gryphon has more "life" than the Q15. BB is used in iFi's top of the line Pro iDSD Signature that runs 3K or more.

The Q15 is a good piece of kit. But owning both seemed silly, and to me, one is better sounding. The Gryphon.

Of course, what sounds good to my 60 year old ears is all I care about. I've had my hearing tested, and I'm still just fine in that regard.

Plus the Gryphon has input options the Q15 doesn't have.

Feb 18, 2024 at 12:16 PM Post #514 of 809
I found the Gryphon to be much more musical. And relaxing is a good word to describe it. Listening to some classical was much better to my ears. I could really sense
bow to string, and the wind of the woodwinds. I also found the Q15 to be a bit harsh at times, listening to rock. I use Steely Dan's Two Against Nature to compare setups, amps, speakers, headphones, DAC's etc. The Gryphon picks up more of what I call "hidden" percussion. Especially with cymbals. Fagan's vocals are much more alive.
I much prefer how the Gryphon handles the low end, and when a song needs a bit more thump, the xBass feature works wonderfully, boosting bass, without straying
out of its lane.

As far as the Burr Brown goes, its sounds good to me. I dislike "clinical" sounding DAC's and amps. The Gryphon has more "life" than the Q15. BB is used in iFi's top of the line Pro iDSD Signature that runs 3K or more.

The Q15 is a good piece of kit. But owning both seemed silly, and to me, one is better sounding. The Gryphon.

Of course, what sounds good to my 60 year old ears is all I care about. I've had my hearing tested, and I'm still just fine in that regard.

Plus the Gryphon has input options the Q15 doesn't have.
The only reason Gryphon isn't my main device is due to it's lack of EQ. I'm using DAPs, RME ADI 2, Qudelix and now Q15 (still waiting on bugfixes to be able to use USB EQ).

Feb 18, 2024 at 3:07 PM Post #516 of 809
burr browns were a thing in the late 2000nds. For people that liked a warm and rounded sound. most of them were somewhat stuck in analogue times and didnt want to change to streaming for a long time. some still prefer that, as some do prefer tube amps. both is sth i couldnt imagine myself to enjoy these days. the only thing that is allowed to give the music its character is the transducer for me personally, ymmv tho. but i see the comeback of warm analogue-ish sound since a year or two. i wonder if the overdone high frequencies of many chinese manufacturers or Hiifiman might be the reasons for buying "higly resolving" aka bright transducers or adventures in pina gain rising up to the craziest amounts just to tame them with unpredictable tubes or old gear?

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2024 at 9:58 PM Post #517 of 809
Noticed a small bug: when switching from bluetooth to USB the sound becomes much quieter. Going to PEQ, changing to e.g. Jazz, and then back to 'Bypass' makes it as loud as BT. PEQ is on 'Bypass' on both BT and USB.
Not a disaster, but somewhat annoying to spend 10-15 seconds to fix it every time when switching the source. Also hard to compare BT and USB sound quality when volume changes.
Dear friend,

Please try to turn on the MQA option. In EQ mode, the volume will decrease.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Feb 20, 2024 at 12:44 PM Post #518 of 809
Hello
How can i answer to calls when connected fiio q15 via Bluetooth to my android phone?
When is attached in usb i can answer to call normally but when Bluetooth no sound is possible fix this or is setting for this I need this because mostly used Bluetooth connection and is annoying no sound when revived calls when listen to my music i like talk calling also and not have only in usb this function?

Feb 21, 2024 at 7:49 AM Post #520 of 809
Hi folks, got my new Q15 half an hour ago straight from FiiO's European distributor. Wanted to do a firmware upgrade, because it says firmware version is 0.36 and I thought 1.82 was the latest. But when I select "firmware upgrade->online upgrade" it is just says "already on the latest firmware". Hmmm. This is using the latest FiiO Control App version 1.29 from the IOS App Store. Any ideas anyone?

Attachments

• IMG_5080.PNG
    IMG_5080.PNG
    595.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5081.PNG
    IMG_5081.PNG
    188.1 KB · Views: 0
Feb 21, 2024 at 8:08 AM Post #522 of 809
Feb 21, 2024 at 8:59 PM Post #523 of 809
Hi folks, got my new Q15 half an hour ago straight from FiiO's European distributor. Wanted to do a firmware upgrade, because it says firmware version is 0.36 and I thought 1.82 was the latest. But when I select "firmware upgrade->online upgrade" it is just says "already on the latest firmware". Hmmm. This is using the latest FiiO Control App version 1.29 from the IOS App Store. Any ideas anyone?
Dear friend,

The Q15 has Bluetooth and XMOS firmwares. The Bluetooth firmware could be updated via the FiiO Control app. And there is no update for Bluetooth firmware currently, so the app says "already on the latest firmware". The APP could not detect and update the XMOS firmware.
If you would like to update the XMOS firmware, you could update via the Windows computer. Firmware download link: https://forum.fiio.com/note/showNoteContent.do?id=202311221710377480434&tid=77

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Feb 22, 2024 at 12:12 AM Post #524 of 809

The Q15 is the only model among products of the same grade that features AKM’s newest DAC combination - the AK4191EQ+AK4499EX. When working in tandem with the newly developed “DWA Routing Technology”, audio performance is greatly improved. The result is a more detailed, yet natural and realistic sound that makes the listener think they have been transported to the concert site.

There are 2 days left before the DAC and Headphone Amplifier Q15 comes out. Let's stay tuned!

Feb 22, 2024 at 12:26 AM Post #525 of 809
I am new in listener. Fiio q15 is my first dac amp.It good for me and little bit confuse about firmware update. When i use out for the box (no update) has problem usb connect and sound error like circuit shock for volume open max on all device connect to q15.and cannot use peq mode by usb.

When I update fw 1.88 all problem are gone. And termal look like came to normal. cooler than before. Today no problem good sound to me.

When connect to usb line it only pcm 44-48K. How can I change to higher sound output? I like use youtube and spotify.please recomment i very newbie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back