FIIO Q15 DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Jan 31, 2024 at 10:43 AM Post #451 of 809
Guys, relax! We might agree that in a good audiophile world, any product should work from the beginning and not after several updates, depending on the correct PC System. Updates are welcome for minor bugs and extra features and should work easily through the app. Well, a dream. But to calm down, take a look at the Xduoo (05 Pro) Forum, where they are fighting with screens dying and devices turning off at random after a few weeks ...
Right, but seriously, FiiO has an entire Mac crowd running to their neighbors to update their device, ridiculous.

Jan 31, 2024 at 10:48 AM Post #452 of 809
Right, but seriously, FiiO has an entire Mac crowd running to their neighbors to update their device, ridiculous.

Any decent hack still has an old Windows computer around for just this situation... :wink:

Jan 31, 2024 at 10:49 AM Post #453 of 809
Initial impressions are good depending on what I am powering.
Hifiman Sundara Closed - Balanced - Ultra High Gain Desktop mode: They are....nice. I find that they are quite genre dependent, rock and hip-hop are good, female vocal and acoustic also good but bass impact is a bit flat (no eq yet).
Fiio FD3 Pro - Single Ended - High Gain: Good lord, I almost feel the bass in my feet! Good for rock (Royal Republic - Baby, Connor Price - Bankroll). Definitely fun.
More listening to come.
I wonder what the FT3 350 Ohm would be like.

I'm just curious, why do you use Ultra High Gain with Hifiman Sundara Closed?

It seems they sound good on Medium gain.

Feb 1, 2024 at 6:33 PM Post #461 of 809
How do I get it to play MQA using the USAC2.0 setting? On UAC2.0 setting it makes pops and dropouts. I'm using my iPhone 15 Pro Max
Plays fine using UAC1.0

Is there a setting that I'm missing?

This thing blows my mind. It's fantastic on phone mode, but Sweet Baby Jesus, it sounds amazing on desktop mode, with a powered USB-C cable

Truly excellent.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2024 at 3:30 AM Post #462 of 809
How do I get it to play MQA using the USAC2.0 setting? On UAC2.0 setting it makes pops and dropouts. I'm using my iPhone 15 Pro Max
Plays fine using UAC1.0

Is there a setting that I'm missing?

This thing blows my mind. It's fantastic on phone mode, but Sweet Baby Jesus, it sounds amazing on desktop mode, with a powered USB-C cable

Truly excellent.
when you say play MQA you are talking of using throught the Fiio app control the MQA function ? Because if it's the case it seems that it's buggy right now and we're waiting for an answer / correction by @FiiO

Feb 2, 2024 at 8:33 AM Post #463 of 809
Beware - the upgrade process to v1.82 most likely bricked my Q15.

At first it seemed to go well, but at around 70% it showed some kind of an error (stupid me for not saving any screenshot) and asked to disconnect the device, turn it off, then turn it back on, reconnect it and run the update once more.

So I did just like it said - disconnected Q15, turned it off and then turned it on.

Well, Q15 booted just fine, it showed its default USB PCM screen, it remained responsive to the buttons and the volume wheel, I could go into the settings, change input mode, but it couldn't be recognized by Windows or my Mac Studio.

The update tool on my Windows PC told me that no device was connected.

Well, what to do?
I tried giving the internal 'Factory Reset' a go, since, like I mentioned, Q15 acts like nothing really happened and I could go into its settings.
After resetting, the device turned itself on and showed "Updating" on the screen. I left it for over half an hour but nothing happened.

I ran the update tool once more and, thankfully, this time it recognized the Q15 and was able to successfully flash the firmware, at least that's what it said - "Firmware upgrade finished successfully".
During the whole time Q15 showed "Updating" on the screen and it's been like this for the last forty minutes. Still hanging with this "Updating" info.

I don't dare to disconnect the USB cable once more, but I'm not sure what to.

The battery was charged to 100% and the device was connected to a separate PD charger, PEQ was set to 'OFF' and UAC 2.0 was enabled.

I followed all the steps and didn't experience any problems last time when I updated it to v1.66

@FiiO , any way to fix it myself?

Feb 2, 2024 at 10:57 AM Post #465 of 809
Beware - the upgrade process to v1.82 most likely bricked my Q15.

At first it seemed to go well, but at around 70% it showed some kind of an error (stupid me for not saving any screenshot) and asked to disconnect the device, turn it off, then turn it back on, reconnect it and run the update once more.

So I did just like it said - disconnected Q15, turned it off and then turned it on.

Well, Q15 booted just fine, it showed its default USB PCM screen, it remained responsive to the buttons and the volume wheel, I could go into the settings, change input mode, but it couldn't be recognized by Windows or my Mac Studio.

The update tool on my Windows PC told me that no device was connected.

Well, what to do?
I tried giving the internal 'Factory Reset' a go, since, like I mentioned, Q15 acts like nothing really happened and I could go into its settings.
After resetting, the device turned itself on and showed "Updating" on the screen. I left it for over half an hour but nothing happened.

I ran the update tool once more and, thankfully, this time it recognized the Q15 and was able to successfully flash the firmware, at least that's what it said - "Firmware upgrade finished successfully".
During the whole time Q15 showed "Updating" on the screen and it's been like this for the last forty minutes. Still hanging with this "Updating" info.

I don't dare to disconnect the USB cable once more, but I'm not sure what to.

The battery was charged to 100% and the device was connected to a separate PD charger, PEQ was set to 'OFF' and UAC 2.0 was enabled.

I followed all the steps and didn't experience any problems last time when I updated it to v1.66

@FiiO , any way to fix it myself?

Both PEQ in fiio app & device itself off? Hope it doesn’t give you any issue after the update.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back