FiiO Mont Blanc/E12 portable headphone amp, 880mW, slim design, full metal case. Bass boost and Cross feed!
Oct 14, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #2,387 of 3,739
  Would you guys recommend this amp for IEMs? If not, are there other relatively cheap portable amps that you would recommend?

With the 16ohm/112dB Final Audio Design Heaven VI I can get the volume to about 9:30.
With the 150ohm/95dB HiFiMan RE-262 I can get the volume to about 11.

Sounds great with both

You can consider E17 as an alternative - more volume control for sensitive IEMs plus a decent DAC.

Oct 14, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #2,388 of 3,739
  Would you guys recommend this amp for IEMs? If not, are there other relatively cheap portable amps that you would recommend?

firstly What IEM you have now?

I have IEMs Vmoda Faze,Creative ep630/830,Klipsch S5i,B.wavz M5,S.Magic PL13/PL21,Jlab J3,J5,J6,MEElec M6,M9P, SennyCX280, Altec muzx606,TF10, Philips/apple/sony/Senny MX470 earbuds,believe me I couldn't find much difference(but it is evident) when E12 drives'em. kind of little overpowering to them. coz these are sensitive enough and standard impedance, even babies like sansa clip+ and source alikes drives them comfortably. Even my OE2 just gained a ~10-15% SQ overall where as senny HD429's bass extensions are noticed and highs relatively shined a little.

But E12 drove my SennyHD600 and Philips hp890 with more energy(these HPs demand) and their openness, spaciousness,details on different tracks etc revealed instantly. especially the bass boost is a smooth transition. gain would've been a 3 steps than 2.

To begin with, no matter what IEM you own, you can try cMoy for under $30 tag in ebay.com. step up,FiiO E6 (same <$30) and E11 ($54) are there.Would suggest go for FiiO (especially E6) as it's a reputed brand and you just can't go wrong with it, besides their quality....

End of the day,In a nut shell,if the HP/IEM demands power then there's a necessity to buy the HP Amp, imho.

Oct 14, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #2,389 of 3,739
Are you serious?
No, people are trying to copy Moombahton and Dubstep and put in into little bits of pop, but overral dubstep, REAL dubstep wouldn't go near pop.

Every music genre that gets a greater audience can be called popular. I.E. it became POP music.........

Oct 15, 2013 at 7:30 AM Post #2,390 of 3,739
Thanks for the replies guys,

Quote:
  firstly What IEM you have now?

I have IEMs Vmoda Faze,Creative ep630/830,Klipsch S5i,B.wavz M5,S.Magic PL13/PL21,Jlab J3,J5,J6,MEElec M6,M9P, SennyCX280, Altec muzx606,TF10, Philips/apple/sony/Senny MX470 earbuds,believe me I couldn't find much difference(but it is evident) when E12 drives'em. kind of little overpowering to them. coz these are sensitive enough and standard impedance, even babies like sansa clip+ and source alikes drives them comfortably. Even my OE2 just gained a ~10-15% SQ overall where as senny HD429's bass extensions are noticed and highs relatively shined a little.

But E12 drove my SennyHD600 and Philips hp890 with more energy(these HPs demand) and their openness, spaciousness,details on different tracks etc revealed instantly. especially the bass boost is a smooth transition. gain would've been a 3 steps than 2.

To begin with, no matter what IEM you own, you can try cMoy for under $30 tag in ebay.com. step up,FiiO E6 (same <$30) and E11 ($54) are there.Would suggest go for FiiO (especially E6) as it's a reputed brand and you just can't go wrong with it, besides their quality....

End of the day,In a nut shell,if the HP/IEM demands power then there's a necessity to buy the HP Amp, imho.

I have the BA4f custom in ears from custom ears. They have a quaddriver, but don't need any power. However, when going from my audinst hud-mx1 to the ibasso DX50 I do notice a difference. And other users have stated that this cIEM scales with better amps. I really have absolutely zero use for a more powerful amp, I just want a very resolving amp, that's not necessarily power. I have tried the E6 with the ibasso DX50, but the internal amp of the DX50 definitely sounds better.

With the 16ohm/112dB Final Audio Design Heaven VI I can get the volume to about 9:30.
With the 150ohm/95dB HiFiMan RE-262 I can get the volume to about 11.

Sounds great with both

You can consider E17 as an alternative - more volume control for sensitive IEMs plus a decent DAC.

Oct 16, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #2,391 of 3,739
I've got questions.

Can FiiO E12 drive Sennheiser HD600/HD650 and even HD800( I knw this is ridiculous but i can't afford ex amp).

I have problem with FiiO Tough, I have replaced my E12 3times due to Battery problem, mechanical sliding fault, and etc.Great design but poor service.

Oct 16, 2013 at 2:54 AM Post #2,393 of 3,739
  I've got questions.

Can FiiO E12 drive Sennheiser HD600/HD650 and even HD800( I knw this is ridiculous but i can't afford ex amp).

I have problem with FiiO Tough, I have replaced my E12 3times due to Battery problem, mechanical sliding fault, and etc.Great design but poor service.

Yes It does with ease. but HD800 not sure as I haven't tried.

3 times problems? btw, did they charge any $ for other than battery issues? looks like you treated very hard!!! :frowning2:

how do you describe it's a poor service when u got 3 times replacements? ain't a design problem according to you.

Oct 16, 2013 at 3:33 AM Post #2,394 of 3,739
Are you serious?
No, people are trying to copy Moombahton and Dubstep and put in into little bits of pop, but overral dubstep, REAL dubstep wouldn't go near pop.

Lots of bass drops in mainstream pop these days... Maybe there isn't much clip sampling and some of the other dub step hallmarks in Pop, but somebody has taken note of what's happening and it's easy to see Dubstep influences in the last releases from, say, Coldplay and Miley Cyrus.

I just dug out my K712's, I purposefully stashed them away as much as I could stand while reviewing the MA900... Hooked up pretty modestly to my E12 and iPhone 5s, some magic is happening!

Oct 16, 2013 at 5:08 AM Post #2,395 of 3,739
I got this for US$125 in Singapore. City Hall Funan, great value, but poor service.

Are you 100% positive you didn't buy a fake? Fiio products have fakes circulating, hency why they have those authenticity security measures.

Oct 16, 2013 at 6:29 AM Post #2,397 of 3,739
Yes It does with ease. but HD800 not sure as I haven't tried.

3 times problems? btw, did they charge any $ for other than battery issues? looks like you treated very hard!!! :frowning2:

how do you describe it's a poor service when u got 3 times replacements? ain't a design problem according to you.

No they didn't charge me with anything but just a waste of time travelling.

The problem with my previous E12 was the Volume was stucked at 50% and the other one is that the Battery doesn't charge and died after 2mins of use(some headfier have the same problem too). i think its a massive manufacturing problem which FiiO have to take this seriously, i am fed up due to this.

Oct 16, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #2,399 of 3,739

I have been impressed with how well it drives the AKG K240 sextetts (600ohm). 

Anyway, I hadn't seen Jude's write up before. Here's an interesting excerpt: 

In its high-gain setting (+10 dB), the FiiO E12 was making easy work--and beautiful driving--of my Audeze LCD-2 and LCD-3, and my HiFiMAN HE-400 and HE-500. And the HD 800? You bet. With the exception of a few portable amps by ALO Audio and Ray Samuels Audio, I’ve not had much luck with finding a portable that I liked with the HD 800. Until the E12, that is. Not only did the E12 drive the HD 800, its bass boost (with its emphasis peaking way down low) gave the HD 800 a kick up the fun scale--this is something I’ve also enjoyed with the ALO Audio Mk3-B that also has a bass boost circuit (a very nice adjustable one).

Okay, so the 130-buck E12 was inspiring some derring-do, and I reached for the HiFiMAN HE-6. And the hits just kept on coming. Bass boost with the HE-6? Try it, 'cause it's real fun.

How does the E12 compare to the best of my portables? My SR-71B from Ray Samuels Audio, for example, is still the more impressive, more hi-fi driver of the HE-6 and HD 800 (using its balanced output)--bigger soundstage, blacker background, more dynamic. But that SR-71B is $650.00. My HeadAmp Pico Slim is still the more impressive, purpose-built amp for my top-tier IEMs, but at $399.00. The FiiO E12 is a $129.00 steal of an amp that brings together some of the qualities of my favorite portable amps, in a very well-built, full-featured package. (I haven’t even mentioned the fact that the E12 also has a crossfeed circuit!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back