FiiO Mont Blanc/E12 portable headphone amp, 880mW, slim design, full metal case. Bass boost and Cross feed!
Jan 18, 2013 at 8:57 AM Post #646 of 3,739
Further to my first post on page 38 ,with my initial impressions I thought I would some more feedback using specific tracks. For this test I am using an iPod Classic with a silver & copper line out cable and a pair of Sennheiser HD568 headphones. My music is ripped at mp3 320 bit rate. I have the E12 bass boost left on as the HD568 seem to sound so much better. The bass boost doesn’t seem to distort the sound, just add when the music needs some very low oomph but not in any way overpowering. Anyway here goes –

Dreams of New Orleans by Wycliffe Gordon – Chinatown – great separation of the trumpets from each side, and clear separation of the other instruments. A superb musical sounding song. The E12 presentation puts you right in the music. I feel like I’m grooving to the beat.

Greatest Hits by Queen – Bohemian Rhapsody – I had to turn the volume down for this track. The E12 did everything as before, even with voices but as the songs attack changes, the E12 seems to scale effortlessly with it. In fact as the track gets louder, the E12 just exploded with attack.

Thriller by Michael Jackson – Thriller – a classic track. At the start there’s great sub bass in the cemetery. The E12 reproduces the song very accurately picking out all the nuances.

Hit The Road Jack by Ray Charles – an old recording but has a superb toe tapping musicality produced by the E12.

Isla by Portico Quartet – Dawn Patrol – this track really defines just how good the E12 is sonically. The plucking of the bass strings, the deep bass, the other instruments all around too just produce an electric performance.

Fantasie by Nicola Benedetti – The Lark Ascending – the violin playing at the start is leaving goose bumps on me. The violin feels so alive. Airy. The E12 is producing a neutral but emotional sound. Mesmerising too.

Love me by Norah Jones – Norah’s voice sounds superb. Another very musical track.

I Heard Love is Blind by Amy Winehouse – Amy’s voice is so real with such precision on the guitar in the background. In fact the realism of the track is excellent.

In summary, the E12 plucks all the nuances from your music, making it sound alive with toe tapping musicality. It also does seem to have improved with low level bass after 3 hours use. It’s accurate, fairly neutral sounding and packs so much energy that your headphones perform magic.

Jan 18, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #647 of 3,739
Quote:
ClieOS,
I look forward to your succinct yet detailed review break-down
smily_headphones1.gif
Amp makers are keeping you busy, aren't they! It's an exciting time.

Ha, I do have another prototype amp from the U.S. waiting for review, more on that on the upcoming weeks. Might have a chance to review the iFi iCAN in the short future as well.

Back to E12 - just did a quick 5 ways comparison between E12, iBasso T5, JDS Labs C4210 (AD8620), Leckerton Audio UHA-4 (OPA209) and O2. It is easy to tell T5 is the weakest of them own and not in the same lead as others. Some quick impression: E12 does belong to the top-tier group. It is on the musical side of things and offer richer tone and texture than the other three (C421, UHA-4, O2), but comes out short on soundstage, especially on width. It reminds me on Pico and some old RSA, but not nearly as colored. Of course, this is just very brief listening. I still need to give it a good burn-in and more listening time before the final verdict.

Jan 18, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #648 of 3,739
Ha, I do have another prototype amp from the U.S. waiting for review, more on that on the upcoming weeks. Might have a chance to review the iFi iCAN in the short future as well.

Back to E12 - just did a quick 5 ways comparison between E12, iBasso T5, JDS Labs C4210 (AD8620), Leckerton Audio UHA-4 (OPA209) and O2. It is easy to tell T5 is the weakest of them own and not in the same lead as others. Some quick impression: E12 does belong to the top-tier group. It is on the musical side of things and offer richer tone and texture than the other three (C421, UHA-4, O2), but comes out short on soundstage, especially on width. It reminds me on Pico and some old RSA, but not nearly as colored. Of course, this is just very brief listening. I still need to give it a good burn-in and more listening time before the final verdict.

Interesting impression.

You know how some headphones are bass monsters (like Sony's XB series?) that add LOTSA BASS to any song, even a female vocal or violin solo? The AKG Q701 I have is like a soundstage width monster :D I'm gonna say the amp & cans balance eachother, in this case. What was your reference headphone?

Jan 18, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #649 of 3,739
Gavinfabi,

Sbtruitt,
I looked almost the whole way through this thread, from the beginning, to find this post for you. Hope it's worth it to you; the importance of output impedance theory may be just a myth for headphones without crossovers, like those found in speakers with multiple drivers.
The input impedance should higher than 10K, and the output impedance is less than 0.5 ohms. the final output power is >850mW at 32ohms.

Thanks a lot for finding this, I missed it.
BTW - having a low/ optimal output impedance is definitely not a myth for headphones. Give it a google and find the blog 'Headphone and Amp Impedance' it's a good article on the subject.

Jan 18, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #650 of 3,739
Quote:
.... What was your reference headphone?

RE0, at least for evaluating amp. I am very familiar with its sound and it responses well to different amps.

Jan 18, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #651 of 3,739
I'm now trying another headphone , my fav portable can, and before you all shout me down, I really like the Bose AE2i. It is extremely comfortable and has a relaxing sound. The controls for my iPad or iPhone are handy too.

So listening to La Grange by ZZ Top - I've noticed the cans full fuller in sound, wider and more punchy. More attack and the beat.

Mannish Boy by Muddy Waters - the electric guitar rift is superb

St Louis Blues by Wycliffe Gordon - still has the musicality but compared to my Sennheiser HD568 the Bose sound like they have a missing link.

What I'm finding the E12 does to the Bose cans is add raw punch and speed. Good for generic music or music with lots of beats. What the E12 also does it highlight the deficiencies of the Bose with better produced music with instruments, a wide stage and depth. I think the E12 take the Bose to its sonic maxims or near too. So for a track like We Speak Americano by Yolando Be Cool the deep bass and speed the E12 brings to the equation, along with better vocals makes me think I'm listening to a different headphone. Ultimately the E12 shines better with the Sennheiser.

Jan 18, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #652 of 3,739
Gavinfabio,
I'm not going to bash you for having and enjoying a Bose. I may have just used their motto as part of a joke in another thread, but the higher-end Bose do have great comfort and some of the very best active noise canceling. Their lush and smooth sound won't win awards for detail or neutrality, but the sound sig combined with the ANC is good for people who want to kinda numb themselves from the world. The triports are just bad, but you don't have those :D

Jan 18, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #654 of 3,739
Gavinfabio,
I'm not going to bash you for having and enjoying a Bose. I may have just used their motto as part of a joke in another thread, but the higher-end Bose do have great comfort and some of the very best active noise canceling. Their lush and smooth sound won't win awards for detail or neutrality, but the sound sig combined with the ANC is good for people who want to kinda numb themselves from the world. The triports are just bad, but you don't have those :D

I have major problems with headphone clamping. And the pain my ears suffer. Very free headphones are comfortable enough for me, the Bose are slippers but I agree not sonically the best but reasonable.

Jan 18, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #656 of 3,739
I'm getting a little antsy finding out my E12 wont arrive until Monday... Has anyone have impressions from this amp with harder to drive headphones (i.e. LCD-2 or HD 650)?  seems like that is the real test / point of having all that power...

Jan 18, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #657 of 3,739
I'll test it with my HD650's tonight, but my opinion won't be as valuable as I have no other amps to compare it to. Pretty excited to hear it, though, I've been at school all week so I haven't gotten to listen to it even though it was delivered to my home on Tuesday.

Jan 18, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #658 of 3,739
Sadly, I just realized that the Mont Blanc's charging mini USB tip isn't the same as the one on the L11 LOD :frowning2: The upside is the Mont Blanc's mini USB tip is the same as on my cellphone, Recon3D USB DAC and sound processor, and Wacom pen tablet. So that's good, can never seem to get enough cables of that type, and I guess it's just the L11 that is the odd one out.

I'm getting a little antsy finding out my E12 wont arrive until Monday... Has anyone have impressions from this amp with harder to drive headphones (i.e. LCD-2 or HD 650)?  seems like that is the real test / point of having all that power...

DarKu posted about his enjoyment using the Mont Blanc with the LCD-2. I think he also used an HD800 with it. Like, two pages back. He was impressed by the very low THD.

Jan 18, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #659 of 3,739
Quote:
DarKu posted about his enjoyment using the Mont Blanc with the LCD-2. I think he also used an HD800 with it. Like, two pages back. He was impressed by the very low THD.

Thanks, I guess I missed that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back