FiiO Mont Blanc/E12 portable headphone amp, 880mW, slim design, full metal case. Bass boost and Cross feed!
Dec 17, 2013 at 12:38 AM Post #2,521 of 3,739
  I'm confused... where did you hear about a new version with an even "higher" bass boost? This is the second time, that I remember, that someone has posted in this thread about mysterious versions past the official production model, aka version 2.

Must be one of those Internet Myths. From what I understand there was a pre-production version that  a few got and the rest have the production curve.

Dec 24, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #2,522 of 3,739
hello everyone, i'm currently interested in getting an amp for jh 13 for a start. Would fiio e12 be a great fit for jh 13? thanks

Dec 26, 2013 at 4:43 AM Post #2,523 of 3,739
That depends on the requirements regarding output impedance of your Jh 13. My E12 can run my Sony MDR-EX1000 and the XBA-H3 perfectly, but they are both @ 32 / 40 Ohm. So not very amp picky.

Dec 26, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #2,524 of 3,739
  hello everyone, i'm currently interested in getting an amp for jh 13 for a start. Would fiio e12 be a great fit for jh 13? thanks

JH13 is extremely sensitive, doesn't need an amp.
You should buy a DAC though, as it will improve the SQ greatly. I recommend the ODAC.
You can put E12 down the chain as well, but DAC is more important.

Dec 26, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #2,526 of 3,739
  My new mobile setup :)

So what are you plugging into the E12 and how does it sound to you?
I find that my E12 can drive Hifiman HE-500's and Sennheiser HD600's.
Edit: I mean drive them well. 
happy_face1.gif

Dec 26, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #2,527 of 3,739
happy_face1.gif

I should be getting my Alpha Dogs within the next few weeks. That's what this setup is for, Only thing I have right now to play with is some Sony MA900's. Being they are very low impedance, this amp is overkill, however I can tell a difference due to the better quality components over just plugging it into the Clip+.

I tried to take the photo with the Rockbox logo on the Clip, but it doesn't stay up long enough. (sounds like a "that's what she said" joke)

Dec 26, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #2,528 of 3,739

I should be getting my Alpha Dogs within the next few weeks. That's what this setup is for, Only thing I have right now to play with is some Sony MA900's. Being they are very low impedance, this amp is overkill, however I can tell a difference due to the better quality components over just plugging it into the Clip+.

I tried to take the photo with the Rockbox logo on the Clip, but it doesn't stay up long enough. (sounds like a "that's what she said" joke)

Those MA900's have an impednce of 12 Ohms so the very low output impedance of the E12's help tighten the bass by providing a good damping ratio. I'm sure that the Dog's will be howling once the make it into town.

Dec 26, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #2,529 of 3,739

happy_face1.gif

Overkill? Eh, maybe. For the AD900x, which is similarly priced and tiered as the MA900, $400 worth of DAC and amp (aune T1 > iFi iCAN) might be overkill, but I'll be damned if it doesn't sound ******* amazing. As StanD wrote, the E12 will provide some nice tightening up of the bass. Let us know what you think!

Dec 28, 2013 at 3:33 AM Post #2,530 of 3,739
You should buy a DAC though, as it will improve the SQ greatly. I recommend the ODAC.

Thanks for response. ODAC seems to be a problem for me now because it is a usb plugin DAC and doesn't support Apple devices, does it? I think a DAP may be a solution to me?

Dec 28, 2013 at 3:43 AM Post #2,531 of 3,739
Thanks for response. ODAC seems to be a problem for me now because it is a usb plugin DAC and doesn't support Apple devices, does it? I think a DAP may be a solution to me?

I believe that some iDevices can support an USB DAC by using the CCK (Camera Connection Kit). You will have to do your homework to research this. Maybe one of the geniuses in an Apple store can help with compatibility, advice on audio quality maybe not so much.

Dec 28, 2013 at 5:28 AM Post #2,533 of 3,739

iPhone 4S running iOS 7 -> Apple Camera Connection Kit -> USB cable -> unpowered USB hub -> USB-miniUSB cable -> ODAC -> 3.5 mm interconnect -> JDS Labs C5 -> V-MODA Crossfade M-100 -> my ears

Why is the hub there? Because without it, this happens.

[rule]
Alternatively, the new JDS Labs C5D (D for DAC) is self-powered, so the hub isn't necessary.
iPhone 4S running iOS 7 -> Apple Camera Connection Kit -> USB-miniUSB cable -> C5D -> V-MODA Crossfade M-100 -> my ears

Or with some Android devices, the USB OTG option is available too with a miniUSB-microUSB cable

Dec 28, 2013 at 8:54 AM Post #2,534 of 3,739
  I was thinking of getting a E17 and E12 combo...
Note 3->E17(DAC only using L7)->E12->XBA-3/Momentum/HD518...
Is it a bad idea???

You might consider getting the E18 instead of the E17 and skip the E12. The E18 has a little more amp power than the E17. I have an XBA-3, Momentum and HD558 (same transducer as the HD518) , among my collection and the amp in the E18 DAC/Amp can handle these easily. The XBA-3 will benefit the most as it's impedance is lowest and the lower impedance of an amp will improve the damping factor and tighten up the bass.I have a Galaxy S3 and it works well with the E18, so does my Windoze laptop.
Is there a particular reason that you chose the E17?
The E12 comes in handy for me with cans that are more power hungry than what you've listed, like my HE-500's. The E18 can even drive my HD600's but the E12 can drive them even louder as in ear splitting = more headroom.

Dec 28, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #2,535 of 3,739
  You might consider getting the E18 instead of the E17 and skip the E12. The E18 has a little more amp power than the E17. I have an XBA-3, Momentum and HD558 (same transducer as the HD518) , among my collection and the amp in the E18 DAC/Amp can handle these easily. The XBA-3 will benefit the most as it's impedance is lowest and the lower impedance of an amp will improve the damping factor and tighten up the bass.I have a Galaxy S3 and it works well with the E18, so does my Windoze laptop.
Is there a particular reason that you chose the E17?
The E12 comes in handy for me with cans that are more power hungry than what you've listed, like my HE-500's. The E18 can even drive my HD600's but the E12 can drive them even louder as in ear splitting = more headroom.

Thanks for your input!!!
The reason for selecting the e17 is firstly I like the warmer signature of the wolfson dac...
I'm kind of a basshead but I also like my mids and highs...
It also has a optical in which the e18 doesn't...
Plus I want to get an e9 later on for a desktop solution...or maybe a vali and mangi...
Kogan in Australia offers the HD650 for $350 with waranty so that's going to be my next purchase...
I hear the e18 is not as warm sounding as the e17...
I have been thinking about this combo for some time now but couldn't find anyone who has actually done it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back